Morning BG numbers going up- why?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband been diagnosed almost 9 years, still diet-controlled no meds. Lately his morning readings have all been in the high 6s and low 7s - they used to be in the 5s and low 6s. He is quite upset by this as he thinks the gp will try and get him on meds and he doesn't want that. Anybody understand why this is happening and what - if anything- he can do to get those numbers down again? He has stopped testing during the day and only tests firs tthing in the morning now.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Liver dumps, dietary changes or a myriad of other things .... and if I may say, wrong to stop testing. Whole day snapshots can only tell you how you are on timelines after meals. Get the pattern and match it to anything you might care to think of.

Last thing I'd be is worried

Reactions: fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anything he can do to stop that liver dump thing? He is asking. And thanks x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Liver dumps you can't control but I emphasise that is maybe one cause. Even a sniffle can result in readings you can't predict, so can stress, new foods that may not agree. Keep water levels up and test often. What was his last HbA1c?

The "thanks" is appreciated BTW

Last edited:

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
His
Liver dumps you can't control but I emphasise that is maybe one cause. Even a sniffle can result in readings you can't predict, so can stress, new foods that may not agree. Keep water levels up and test often. What was his last HbA1c?

The "thanks" is appreciated BTW
His Hba1c was 40 then the latest one I think 46.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As his HbA1c has increased from 40 to 46 it isn't just his morning levels that have increased. His average levels throughout the day and night have increased from 6.6mmol/l to 7.6mmol/l. (The converter is here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html )

He needs to go back to basics and test before he eats and again 1 and 2 hours after first bite, and start keeping a food diary including portion sizes. He can then record his levels alongside the food and look for patterns. He can see which food choices are causing his levels to rise. Something in his diet is likely causing this. His slice of toast may not have done him any favours. Bread is one of the major factors in increasing levels.

If that doesn't produce any useful information, then maybe it is time for meds.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, dump the toast but there's something else behind this.methinks. Has the weight changed?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea bluetit, I will get onto this!
Mike his weight has actually gone down a couple of lbs. He isn't overweight, he's bordering on skinny lol

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @fumanchu, if this were me I would tweak the aspects under my control. Obviously food is most likely the biggest swing factor, so assess what is possibly the root cause. I would try to rev up my metabolism, so first thing (after testing fbg), a 3 - minute pushup, squat, punching workout.

I would cut out any snacks, and eat twice a day maximally LCHF. My last meal would be between 17:00 and 18:00, followed by a brisk walk and if possible 10 minutes of weights. I would try and get at least 7 hours of sleep. Most importantly I would set a mental state to say achieve a HbA1c of 38 and perform the actions required to get there.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking is the best exercise, especially for those of us not as young and fit as we once were. Walking has worked for me, and I don't walk miles and miles and miles. It is also a good idea, when in the house, not to sit for more than an hour without a walk round, up the stairs, round the garden etc. It all helps. I have been using my pedometer round the house these last few days, and it is amazing how many steps we actually do just pottering about. Perhaps you could give him some household jobs to do.

Do start controlling his carbs, and keep records. It will all help. Staying off meds will be his motivation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As my mum always said, there is no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If he is 71 and frail, then he shouldn't be cutting down too much on food. Perhaps have vegetable soup or bone broth in the evening. Getting a good night sleep will help. Sleep disruption will cause stress hormones and glucose to rise...

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly what I said! When he was first diagnosed I read up loads and liked the look of Dr Bernstein's diet, and we did that for a while. I was thinking of going back to a version of that, giving him richer foods with cream & eggs etc. And soup I can always do.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
As my mum always said, there is no such thing as bad weather, just unsuitable clothing!
Wetsuits today then! I'm at 1000ft on a moor in Scotland, looking out at the wettest, most miserable sheep I have ever seen. And the lambs are bleating their wee hearts out complaining that they're cold. :arghh:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wetsuits today then! I'm at 1000ft on a moor in Scotland, looking out at the wettest, most miserable sheep I have ever seen. And the lambs are bleating their wee hearts out complaining that they're cold. :arghh:

Uggh

In that case, it's a gentle potter round the house for him - pushing the hoover! ;)

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE - I have tightened up the carbs, and he has been gardening and car washing in between showers. His last 3/4 mornings his readings have been in the low 6s. Now just to keep it that way...

Reactions: Alison Campbell