Morning blood tests for FBG

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I have noticed that some people on the forum have very early times for their morning blood tests and I am wondering if I am taking my blood tests a little too late. Today I woke up at just before 5, I went back to sleep then got up at 8.30 and finally took my blood test at 9am.

Should I have taken the test at 5am?

Thanks

P

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to take my fbgs when I woke up, which tended to be around 5am.
Now I take them when I first get out of bed which is usually around 7am. I think they are a bit higher then.

Last edited:

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take mine when I get out of bed and intend to stay out of it. I do shift work so I don't have regular times. I am now off on an 18 day break and It's chill out time. I woke at 7:15am today decided it's wasn't happening it's Sunday so rolled over and woke again at 9am. I made a coffee and took my bloods at 9:10am. They were 5.3

I guess if you do it at the same time each day you would get a more concistent idea of how they are.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is probably best to take it as soon as you get up properly, ie in your case 8-30.
If you leave it until later anything you do between getting up and taking the test may affect it in some way. (pottering about, showering, dressing, whatever)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I test my FBG when I wake up and that has been between 4.00 and 5.00 every day for longer than I care to remember. A couple of months ago, as an experiment over a week so, I did leave the test until two hours after waking (but still fasting) .. and for each day that I did this, my BG level was noticeably higher. Don't know why .. maybe a liver dump as I started using energy for the day ?? :meh:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I was taught that fasting means a period of at least 10 hrs @Providence 62 but in the long run its our HbÀ1c results which provide a true indication of how controlled our diabetes is

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taught that fasting means a period of at least 10 hrs @Providence 62 but in the long run its our HbÀ1c results which provide a true indication of how controlled our diabetes is

I am afraid I cannot agree with you when you say the HbA1c is a true indicator of how controlled our diabetes is.

The HbA1c relies on us all having haemoglobin cells living for the same length of time. (120 days) The calculation relies on this. There are many people whose red blood cells live longer than 120 days, and many whose red blood cells live for a shorter period than 120 days. Anyone with "abnormal" red blood cells is at risk of inaccurate HbA1c results.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...due-to-red-blood-cell-age-variability.110793/

https://chriskresser.com/why-hemoglobin-a1c-is-not-a-reliable-marker/

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I stand corrected bluetit I'm sure that your answer will help the poster

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
It varies with when testing my bs.
As a chronic insomniac or when I do sleep I test as soon as I get up

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Thank you everyone for your great advice. Sometimes it can be as long as half an hour between rising and actually testing my sugars. You know how it is, check email, read news headlines, feed cat, greet husband etc. I Going to put my meter on my bedside table tonight and will test as soon as i put my feet on the floor.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your great advice. Sometimes it can be as long as half an hour between rising and actually testing my sugars. You know how it is, check email, read news headlines, feed cat, greet husband etc. I Going to put my meter on my bedside table tonight and will test as soon as i put my feet on the floor.

Don't forget to wash your hands! It will be interesting for us to see if there is much difference.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to test as soon as you wake up S i do it as soon as my feet touch the floor I keep my kit at the side of my bed But some time i test at different times when i wake and i find that being an hour later or earlier also makes a difference

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I was told to test as soon as you wake up S i do it as soon as my feet touch the floor I keep my kit at the side of my bed But some time i test at different times when i wake and i find that being an hour later or earlier also makes a difference

Perhaps if I wash my hands before I go to bed :) ? I know it's only a snapshot, but it's good to get an accurate one if possible.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello, quick update. I finally managed to test my FBG as soon as I woke up today. 6.9 - that is a bit lower than what I am used to.

Reactions: Prem51 and AM1874

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If I tested on waking I would be testing 3 or four times a night every night so I leave it till I am up and out of bed but before doing any activity other than washing my hands.

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I tested on waking I would be testing 3 or four times a night every night so I leave it till I am up and out of bed but before doing any activity other than washing my hands.

That's what I do. Up, loo (a must!), wash hands, test.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The FBG doctors use involves getting up, showering, getting dressed, driving to the surgery etc. In my case that would be about 9:30am before I had the test, so is it really worth worrying about what time to test? With DP and all the other variables, is the FBG test any real use at home, or only for doctors to initially diagnose diabetes.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The FBG doctors use involves getting up, showering, getting dressed, driving to the surgery etc. In my case that would be about 9:30am before I had the test, so is it really worth worrying about what time to test? With DP and all the other variables, is the FBG test any real use at home, or only for doctors to initially diagnose diabetes.

I believe FBG is a useful tool to use at home for everyday comparison. My HBA1C has not changed much in 6 years and is borderline prediabetes/normal. My pre meal apart from breakfast is excellent, post meal is ok but my fasting is awful.

My surgery did not even want to see me for review this year as they are only concerned about HBA1C but that is not the full picture of control for me.