Morning Corrections

Nicksimmo

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I have been classed as a type 1.5 diabetic. I'm on novorapid and lantus and inject 20 mins before i eat carbs. My question is regarding high morning scores around the 12 - 13 mark. Does anyone know how many units i need to correct my blood glucose to 6 ish?

Best wishes

Nick
ViviBalthier

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know how many units i need to correct my blood glucose to 6 ish?

No. One way of trying to figure out your correction dose is to use the 100 rule: divide 100 by your total daily dose (basal and bolus) and this should give you an idea of how many mmol/l 1 unit will drop you.

So for me, my total daily dose is 30
100 / 30 = 3.33. So 1 unit will drop me by 3ish, according to the 100 rule.

If I'm at 13 and want to get down to 6 I want to drop by 7mmol. 7/3= 2 units.

Now the 100 rule doesn't really work that well for me.

Another way to work out your correction factor would be to do a little experiment, when your blood sugar is sitting nice and stable at about 8ish, you have no food or insulin on board inject 1 unit and see how much that lowers your blood sugar by over the next 4 hours. Obviously you'd have to have something available to eat, and be keeping a close eye on what your blood sugar is doing just in case it drops you a little too much or a little too quickly.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I have been classed as a type 1.5 diabetic. I'm on novorapid and lantus and inject 20 mins before i eat carbs. My question is regarding high morning scores around the 12 - 13 mark. Does anyone know how many units i need to correct my blood glucose to 6 ish?

Best wishes

Nick
ViviBalthier
A "bog standard run of the mill" T1's correction factor will be somewhere between 2-3mmol/L. That's if they're not insulin resistant.

As @catapillar says though, there's no way to be sure - you may be below or above that rough guide of 2-3mmol/L.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nicksimmo . Another problem you may encounter is the higher your score / BS is the correction dose will change.
You may find that if your score was 10 and you wanted to get to 6 then 2 units would drop you 4/6 mmo/L.
If your score was 20 then you may find that the 1:3 ratio doesn't work quite so well, to get from 20 down to 6 could easily require 7/8 units as opposed to 4/5 units.
Trial and error to determine how your own body reacts unfortunately.

Reactions: GrantGam

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It can also depend on how much insulin you have on board at the time of correction. If it's only been and hour or two you'll still have active insulin working.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi all

Best wishes

Nick
ViviBalthier
It comes with experience, learning to understand what your body requires. Keep a diary and learn your cycles of up and downs. This will help to take the mystery out of the condition. I truly wish you well on your journey.