1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Morning readings?!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by andi2508, Nov 11, 2017.

1. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

My readings in the morning are awful. I go to bed at 5-6 and wake up at 8+. What's worse is that they keep rising until I eat breakfast!? I'm not hungry in the morning and I run around stressed and busy getting us all out to school/work so I don't have time to eat. Would coffee and cream help or eating something before bed? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Ps I'm trying to stabilise blood sugars and lose weight with a low carb (80g approx per day) and I'm on week 2. Thanks

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on diagnosis and for the following couple of months. I hadn’t been a breakfast person since childhood, but I forced myself to eat breakfast to try to stop this morning rise in readings, I’m now used to it and often wake up hungry for my low carb coconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, not a grain in site!) with strawberries and cream. I also have a small handful of nuts before bed. I’ve heard that a coffee with cream may work too. It’s just trial and error to see what works for you in the end. Morning readings are the last to settle down too. I eat between 50 - 70g carbs per day but I also take Metformin, I’ve lost 4 stone in 6 months and my HbA1c is now ‘non diabetic’. Stick at your eating plan it’ll all settle down eventually I’m sure.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Rachox, Nov 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. paulus1

paulus1 · Well-Known Member

i was in a rush to get to clinic yesterday so i forgot to have breakfast i had my insulin so very dumb. but instead of dropping low it was the highest its been in 2 weeks, only managed to get some food at 3 my bloods then dropped back to normal. still need to learn my body better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Thanks Rachox, wow! 4 stone in 6 months! Stuff of dreams for me! Do you have somewhere where you post what you eat in a day? I have 5 stone to loose and so far it's not shifting very fast!

5. Rachox

Thank you, yes I’m really chuffed, but still have more to loose, it’s still coming off slowly though. I am on Metformin too which has the handy side effect of reducing my appetite :)
    Are you asking if I personally post what I eat each day? I keep spread sheets for my own info. including what I ate, blood sugar readings and weight, there is a ‘What have you eaten today?’ thread in the Type 2 Forum here which I occasionally post on.

6. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

Thanks, I was just looking for inspiration or a clue about what to eat to get my blood sugars controlled and lose weight. I will have a look at that thread

7. Rachox

• Like Like x 1
  8. andi2508

andi2508 Type 2 · Member

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook