Mornings are confusing me, can anyone advise.

Suzanne6

Hi all I'm getting really confusing morning fasting blood sugars normally about 10.5. I realised today that I'm not taking it as early as I could, normally I take it after the school run but before I eat. Are my morning sugars possibly so high because I'm already active?

Many thanks in advance

Suzanne

Reactions: Guzzler

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I take mine when I wake up to get fasting reading then two hours after breakfast

Reactions: Suzanne6

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would say yes. Try taking the reading as soon as you wake and have a bite to eat thereafter and see if you see a drop in numbers. This may take a little while to see a change in patterns. Good luck.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take mine as soon as I wake up then get breakfast straight away, before showering or getting dressed. I find if I don’t eat straight away my numbers keep rising til I do. By eating as soon as I get up my post breakfast number only varies a little from my fasting reading. It’s all to do with liver dump/dawn phenomenon I believe.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is that it really depends on what I had for dinner and how late dinner was...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have already done a school run (and got the children ready etc and got yourself dressed etc) then your levels are very likely to be higher. I suggest you try taking your FBG as soon as you get out of bed and washed hands.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As well as the stress of getting out of the house causimg a cortisol spike which will raise bgs many diabetics get the dawn phenonomen of higher bgs caused ny the same mechanism. I have a pump and after midnight i drip in extra insulin to keep a lid on this. Also i try not to eat late because it makes bgs less controllable unless i go to bed at 2am x

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My experience is that it really depends on what I had for dinner and how late dinner was...

This is me as well. All depends on the night before. The only way I get lower numbers is to eat at least 4 hours before bed. But because my husband gets home from work after 7 we both eat then. I have decided that I would rather eat as a whole family than have me eat separately .

I think you need to experiment a little bit. Try different times, breakfasts, evening meals etc and see what works for you.