Moving in and out of ketosis

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys, can you move in and out of ketosis on a day-to-day basis? If you go up to 50g for the odd day when you're on <30g, does your body start functioning in a different way? And you wouldn't get the unpleasant carb flu thing again, would you?

Lucy

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucy!

Yes, you certainly can move in and out of ketosis on a daily basis and your body will keep adjusting but it will probably cause havoc to your BG control. it's best to either stay in or out of ketosis. TBH your body only burns ketones when it needs to, so just by blipping under whatever your magic carb level is (and that is different for everybody) for a day wouldn't have any impact if your body already has enough fuel from the carb you ate yesterday. Although I only have around 50g of carb a day, at my body weight, this actually keeps me just out of ketosis. I don't know about the unpleasant flu effect as I never get that when going into ketosis - but my BG swings wildly if I keep changing the fuel I give my body. More than anything, diabetes seems to like consistency!

Smidge

alliebee

I have stayed in ketosis for past 12 weeks. The first week was hard but then it took about 2 more weeks until my body had adapted to fat burning. I stay in on 40 g a day and I can feel it. Lots of energy better skin sleep so much better and I've lost 2 stone in 2 months. I'm maintaining now and have tried to increase fat it wouldn't be a good idea to mess your body around and esp not for your bg readings

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i though ketosis was bad for you i dont understand im new and im still trying to get my ketones down could someon please explain x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No need to worry about ketones unless your BG is high - very high.

Two different things, ketosis and ketoacidosis. The second one is the one that we must avoid at all costs. That can get going after someone hasn't had enough insulin in their system (injected or their own) over a long period so BG has been high, often very high, for a long time. Then the body starts eating itself. Muscle tissue is broken down to produce ketones (which are really an alternative energy source to glucose, as I understand it - correction welcomed if that's wrong) for energy for the body to run on, but that process needs some insulin too so it goes awry, and the net result is the blood becomes more and more acidic. Which would kill in the end if left unchecked.

Ketoacidosis is often called DKA (for diabetic ketoacidosis).

But ketosis in the context of low-carb food intake is a benign ketone phenomenon. The thinking is that when you restrict carbs below a certain point that varies person to person, because glucose is in short supply, your body will switch to the alternative energy supply system that uses ketones. These are mainly made from fat - often from fat you eat, rather than fat in flobby bits.

The argument is that ketosis was more common in pre-modern times because diet was different. Hence ketogenic diets are more or less the same as paleo diets - carnivore stuff, eggs, lots of veg or green veg. No grain or starchy roots.

Ketogenic diets are quite controversial. Some people think they're harmful. That's a matter for individuals to research and think about for themselves. This thread is among keto enthusiasts.

I found ketones very confusing at diagnosis and in fact was seriously misled by a doctor who said I'd get DKA if I didn't take large doses of insulin immediately. I worried myself sick for days. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people