MP's campaign to force testing before driving

iddt01

I would be EXTREMELY interested to see what you all make of this:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... -28252658/

MP Jason McCartney backs diabetic driver testing law change |
02/03/2011
Huddersfield Daily Examiner - Online
A HUDDERSFIELD MP has backed a campaign to force diabetics to test their blood sugar levels before they get behind the wheel.

Colne Valley MP Jason McCartney has signed the petition after his friend's brother was killed by a driver who fell into a diabetic coma.

James Pope, 41, brother of BBC Radio Leeds football commentator Adam Pope, was killed in November, 2009, after his car was hit head on by a Transit van.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ok, but only if we put forward proposals to automatically charge HCPs who refuse strips with the offence of accessories after the fact!! :twisted:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It's not only Type 1's who may be a danger on the roads because of hypo symptoms. Type 2's can also hypo, in fact anyone can as we have already discussed many times on the Board !

However Type 2's on certain hypo inducing drugs are also at greater risk.

If this comes into force then Doctors would have to prescribe test strips for Type 2's as , by not doing so they would be causing the driver to break the law.

alaska

I think people on insulin should test before driving -and also at least every two hours of the journey.

I think the way the story is presented isn't great, but nothing new there.

Reactions: 2 people

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I am a Type 2 on hypo inducing drugs (not Insulin) and have had hypo's at odd times.

Whenever I am driving, especially if any distance I always test before driving and as alaska has said, every couple of hours. Most who have good hypo awareness will feel that the levels are beginning to drop and will stop somewhere to rectify the situation before it becomes a hypo.

I would agree that testing is advised before driving. More ammunition for those whose GP's tell them they don't need to test !!!

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I would welcome this, as its something to fight the doctors with when they are being mean with strips,
I'm type 2 and dont always get low sugar warning
Sue

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue o2 said:
I would welcome this, as its something to fight the doctors with when they are being mean with strips,
I'm type 2 and dont always get low sugar warning
Sue

Have a read of this......it could help the argument..... :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19002#p173253

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they want to enforce that kind of law change then there should be some give too.

If I was to be forced, and I don't know how they could enforce this, I would want to have all the other license entitlements I lost given back.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
AndyS said:
If they want to enforce that kind of law change then there should be some give too.

If I was to be forced, and I don't know how they could enforce this, I would want to have all the other license entitlements I lost given back.

Why would you have to be forced Andy ? Do you not already test before driving as a responsible T1 ?

I agree it would be almost impossible to enforce / make sure somebody has tested before driving in everyday life. How do you know the person driving is a Diabetic to start with ? Will we all be made to display a 'D' plate front and rear to identify us ? :roll:

I think the idea is really as a deterrent to stop people who drive and don't care what their levels are. As with Drink Driving......it will all go over some peoples heads. The campaign is probably a bit of an over reaction but understandable as well.........

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i think all diabetics should test before a drive anyway it shouldnt need enforcing however not everyone is as sensible as us for example a lady in my street is type 1 and i know when shes been low she has got in the car and driven herself home which is wrong anyway but when i think in the nicer weather all the kids play in the street it makes me shudder, i look at the state dylan can be in when hes hypo and there is no way this woman should be driving when in sucha dangerous state. sure she isnt the only one either :(

anna marie

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
What with the state of the Countries finances and the lack of funding for the NHS at present I wont be holding my breath on this one even though IMHO it is a sound idea.

Clairslloyd

Will they be doing this to people who drink/drive or take other prescribed drugs too. Although it does sound like a good idea I think it could be construed as prejudice!!!!

zoeee

i think it's a good idea. i test before driving anyway, unless i'm literally just driving 5 minutes down the road to the post office or something - i always have sweets/sugary drinks in my bag and in the car and always get plenty of warning when it's going low, but anything more than the 5 minutes i always test for anyway because i'm paranoid about it! i always do checks during long drives too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ken, perhaps you could answer this....if it is enforced to test before driving could they ask to see the results and keep your meter as evidence?

Could it be that by enforcing tests before driving, it is the case that it will give the police more powers to be able to check that diabetics have done so? In which case, I hope that they send us all letters to tell us....

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought you had to already, if you were on insulin, I thought it said that in the stuff the DVLA sends you when you tell them you're on insulin. I guess that shows I didn't read it very carefully!

jaykay

Maybe everyone denied test strips should ask their GP to put it in writing, then send the letter to the above named MP and ask him to lobby on our behalf.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What a good idea!!!

calisto51

Diabetics on insulin are required to test before they drive and if its a long journey every two hours
I am type two on insulin and to date have had no problems with being issued strips on prescription, and yes I always test before driving no matter how short the journey.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looks good to me and will strengthen the case for those who are refused test strips and drive! :)

Nigel

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
What a load of cobblers they expect me to test my blood everytime I want to nip to the shop or out in the car. No chance.

And also as has been mentioned is this guy going to win over the government when he tells them how much it will be to supply every diabetic with unlimited strips.

I get in and out a car at least 5 times a day. So thats 90 strips a month. Plus my regular testing your looking at with this silly idea 120 strips a month for every single diabetic.

Bet it wont even have a glimmer of hope and neither it should