Multivitamin and mineral supplement for diabetics?

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do any of you take a multivitamin and mineral supplement formulated specifically for people with diabetes? I'd love to hear about your experiences and recommendations.

I typically take a multivitamin/mineral supplement daily, but I've just run out and it's time to buy more. I have researched a few different formulas designed specifically for diabetics. Chiefly, the products contain no sugar or starch, but do contain additional ingredients that could be beneficial, like lutein and lycopene for eye health or chromium and cinnamon. I've narrowed it down to three potential products, but I've love to hear from someone with experience.

Thanks.

G

gemma6549

I take chromium that helps with insulin absorption. Vitamin d and iron as diabetics can typically fall low in both of those.

I also take thiamine which is a high dose of vitamin b12, also something diabetics can lack.

The chromium makes a noticeable difference to my sugar levels and the thiamine a noticeable difference to any nerve or joint pain.

I've been taking all of the above for 2 1/2 years now.

Reactions: 4 people

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think the multi vitamin/mineral I chose has a lot of chromium in it, so I'll look into that. Thanks!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I asked my Doctor about taking extra vitamins as got soem for diabetics and was told to not bother as a good diet gave you all you needed... sighs I threw them out, so any one knowing of a beneficial vitamin tablet please let us know :)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my Doctor about taking extra vitamins as got soem for diabetics and was told to not bother as a good diet gave you all you needed... sighs I threw them out, so any one knowing of a beneficial vitamin tablet please let us know :)
The line, from doctors and currently from Diabetes UK is, if you follow the eat well balanced diet advice, you don't need supplements. Seems to me it is stupid not to take anything which might help - especially for those of us ignoring the dodgey advice and trying LCHF.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The "diabetic" multivitamins are a huge waste of money and its nothing more than marketing if you ask me.

I take a basic men's multivitamin which costs me $11usd and the bottle will last me a year.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is probably better if possible to find out if any vitamin is lacking in our diet or depleted because of taking some medication for example vitamin b if taking Metformin .Some multivitamins have very little of each vitamin in them (always read the label)
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just the take one, 10ml of High Strength Cod Liver Oil, everything else I get from eating a healthy balanced diet.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Multivitamin tablets are probably not worth it.

However there are some very good reasons for supplementing with certain specific vitamins/vitamin like substances such as Thiamine (B1) and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

If you are in the UK you are probably deficient in vitamin D and so supplementation with D3 seems sensible. It won't improve your diabetes but it may improve your general immune system.

Here is a good and detailed list of a variety of studies on different supplements and how they impact diabetics.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/20144672.php

Some people find things like chromium or cinnamon useful; you need to decide for yourself if you want to try those.

I would certainly carefully consider adding B1, D3, Alpha Lipoic Acid and probably magnesium to your diet. Subject to costs and your own views on those.

All of these are not 'magic bullets' or cures but they may swing the odds against complications a little way back in our favour so should be considered.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep I take Vit D and B3 and a multi vit.......

Lots of info on the web , all of it contradictory , so I work on the old saying best to take it and not need it than to need it and not take it.......

Would not bother with Diabetic versions , after all the amount of sugar etc would be miniscule........

Have tried all sorts from Animal Pack to tescos own and have done a fair amount of research as the price range is massive....

Will probably go with these next time as they have good reviews and are a mid range price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solgar-Formula-VM-75-Â-Tablets/dp/B000VYX9IA/ref=sr_1_19?s=drugstore&srs=1657036031&ie=UTF8&qid=1457442623&sr=1-19

And these seem pretty good for your fish oil needs http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_7&smid=AKRBDGJN4LXWJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a cautionary note .Get your serum calcium levels checked before taking Vitamin D

CAROL

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to get everything I need from my diet. The only supplements I take are omega 3 oil (which I also feed my dogs!) and glucosamine/chondtroitin for my long term wonky knee joints, so nothing to do with my diabetes. There's some doubt about glucosamine's efficacy, but it does actually work for me - I certainly know about it if I don't take it.

I use cinnamon but I have always used it as a spice because I enjoy the flavour, not for any supposed benefits. In any quantity it gives me bad nose bleeds though :( - it's known as a blood thinner. But since I've always used it I can't comment on any possible effect on my diabetes.

At one point pre diagnosis my GP recommended vitamin D when I was complaining about tiredness, so took D3 for a while but I stopped buying it as it didn't make any apparent difference.

I'd actually prefer to know that I had definite need to a particular supplement, however I'd tend to avoid targeted diabetic supplements like the plague.

Robbity