Mum of newly diagnosed T1

demidamo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all, only just joined today, my 11 year old son was diagnosed last Tuesday night with T1, who has taken it extremely well, i on the other hand, have not! Everything is only just starting to sink in, a lot of mixed emotions going on atm :/ but am trying to stay as strong and as positive as possible, am trying to encourage him to sign up himself and chat to other kids his age with T1, but his too busy watching a film lol xxx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome to the forum:)

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome. My daughter (just turned 7) was diagnosed dec 2012 aged 5. She too took everything so well, my husband and i however not so great. Things do get easier with time as you learn to deal with everything. Its just a part of life now. We need to be bit more orgsnised than we used to be but theres nothing we don't do xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi I'm also new to this app! My little girl is 4 and was diagnosed in October I still feel like it's jus a nitemare and I'll wake up soon! Didn't realize how easy life was before the diabetes although all that said ill jus go ahead and contradict myself and say i surpose it's gotta a little easier than it was to begin wit!? Everyday is so different but I guess mayb we r still in the honeymoon period? I'm sorry I probably should b starting to b more accepting and some days I do be but I do hope another few months down the line I will be! A lot of people I hav spoken to and are further down the line do seem to tink it gets so much easier so I hold onto that!

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It does take time. People often say to me 'oh i don't know how you do that' my answer 'because i have to!' Of course none of us want to do any of it but its what it takes to keep our kids healthy xx

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It does take time. People often say to me 'oh i don't know how you do that' my answer 'because i have to!' Of course none of us want to do any of it but its what it takes to keep our kids healthy xx

I no that's the main ting after all , I guess it's like everyting in life ya goin hav ups and downs!

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does ur little girl tend to stay bet her target ie bg of 4-8? How do u find carb counting? Does her school help you ? Sorry million questions lol

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi all, only just joined today, my 11 year old son was diagnosed last Tuesday night with T1, who has taken it extremely well, i on the other hand, have not! Everything is only just starting to sink in, a lot of mixed emotions going on atm :/ but am trying to stay as strong and as positive as possible, am trying to encourage him to sign up himself and chat to other kids his age with T1, but his too busy watching a film lol xxx
R you guys planning to do carb counting?

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We found it tricky to start with but its got easier as times gone on and we've gotten to know the values of things she eats regularly. We can pretty confidently carb count a meal out now or buffets at parties. Theres a book called carbs and cals which is a great picture reference and you can also get it as an app. Shes between 4-8 most of the time but always going to have ups and downs. I think once i accepted that we can't have perfect sugars 100% of the time i began to deal with everything better. Shes just getting over tonsillitis so had high sugars then and i think its easier if you can understand why they are high /low. Its the random sugars that make no sense that drive me mad! School is amazing and have helped so much. I usually make a 40g packed lunch every day so they know what insulin to give. we have a communication book that goes to and from school where they record bg results each day. Hope that helps x

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
That's so helpful tank you! We hav the carbs and cal book and done a course also in carb counting threw the choice programme which was so helpful to! I get days wur I tink great I'm getting hang of this then get one bad day followed by few more and it reali sends me off balance! I hav a fair knowledge now of the carbs in food etc sumtimes I will measure stuff off till a tee then bang 4 hours later she'll b sitting at 16 for no reason ! I can understand hypos it's these unexplained highs I cant get! Sumtimes I tink the insulin seems to work in 1 hour sumtimes I tink it takes the full 3/4 ! Ur lucky wit the school to I'm running every lunch time to inject and wit my 2year old reeking havoc it sumtimes takes it toll! Plus Somedays I hav went in and she has been havin a hypo and no has noticed :(
I tink wen I no meal time is approaching I stress trying to sort her out keep dinner warm count it then let her pick a snack for after it seems to take forever my poor 2 year old always gets pushed to the side! Sorry very long posts me waffling on but it's so gud to no I'm nat the onli one! Plus I sumtimes feel like the diabetic nurses r mayb a little ott I do follow every word they say but it's real people in similar situations that I'd rather learn from!

jojojojo2012

Hi my son is 6 diagnose 6 weeks ago. I still have days where all I do is cry, usually after a night of testing and little sleep. We carb counted from the start and I'm still panicky about everything he eats. To start with I was like he must have 50g at every meal and if I had to up his dose I was failing, now I'm like, well If he wants loads to eat I'll give him a higher dose. Sorry are you injecting it in pump? We are mdi, novo rapid and levemir and he hates the injections, some days he begging me not to do it and it breaks my heart. At diagnosis I went into school every lunch time then my nurse went into school and educated everyone and a teacher took in his care. He had his bag of tricks and goes to chek his blood mid morning and mid aft in his own under supervision and then she does injection at lunch, texting me his numbers at lunchtime, (tho think she's tying to do away with that unless cause for concern!). Have your school seen your nurse? They have to provide care for her, get your team involved. My ds is in infant school and they have never had a diabetic child before, in summer he moves to the junior school and I'm dreading it. Got a holiday abroad booked in July too hitch was booked before diagnosis and misreading that too....

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree. School have a duty to provide care. We were told by the head that they could not force any members of staff to carry out my daughters injections but if nobody volunteered they would get someone in to do it. We were lucky in that numerous people were happy to do it then 2 nurses from my daughters diabetes team went in and provided training. You should definately speak to the nurses about it.
The unexplainable highs are very annoying Think you do need to know that sometimes the bg just is what it is & there are so many factors which can effect it.
My girl has clinic tomorrow so looking forward to finding out her HbA1c. So far shes been in the target range so fingers crossed

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
U sound very like me in the beginning I was so so strict down to last carb! My little girl also hated to b injected had to b pinned to the floor for first few months it was heart breaking she isn't so bad now Althou onli allows me to inject her in the bum ! The school hav done finger prick trainin wit my diabetic nurse but don't wana b involved wit injecting insulin they hav made that very clear and reali after abit of research they r wit in their rite to refuse to!:(

Reactions: 3 people

dizzydoll

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@sugar-monsters. Are you sure they are within their rights to refuse? My daughters head assured us that although no member of staff would ever be forced into giving the injections someone would be brought into do them out if required. Not sure if we are just extremely lucky with my daughters school but i thought they had a duty to provide someone?

sugar-monsters

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@sugar-monsters. Are you sure they are within their rights to refuse? My daughters head assured us that although no member of staff would ever be forced into giving the injections someone would be brought into do them out if required. Not sure if we are just extremely lucky with my daughters school but i thought they had a duty to provide someone?

My diabetic nurse told me the school r under no obligation to inject Insulin it's up to the school ,she said they are people fighting for the law to b changed but sure that could take years if ever, the principal has said that sum board or union r pretty much against them doin it I tink it's an excuse! I write a letter to the education board, spoke to members of the board of governors and also my local councilors which all ended wit wit the same result unfortunateli :(