Mum struggling to find solution to high numbers

MagsW

My daughter (12 years) has been diabetic (type 1) since she was 5. We have almost always struggled to keep numbers below 10, we weigh food and calculate carbs, give an extra unit of novarapid insulin for every 3 blood sugar points above 7, changed injection sites. Has anyone struggled and then found the solution to regular high numbers?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi MagsW, and welcome to you and your daughter.

There is a way to bring blood sugars down to a healthy level. As an introduction, have a look at the Success Stories thread in the Low Carb area and see how others have achieved it.

All the best,

fergus

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi MagsW,
I find my son goes through times like this when you explore every avenue, but still have high numbers. I have found with my son that he needs 2u of humalog to every 10g of carbs at breakfast, 1 1/2u of humalog to every 10g carbs at lunchtime and just 1u per 10g carb at teatime and 19u of Levemir at bedtime. Most days its still trial and error, especially having to take into account physical activities ect. Plus some foods have higher/lower glycemix index which just plain comfuse me. Us poor mothers have to be dieticians, mathematicians and nurse maid rolled into one. :) Perhaps your daughter needs her basal adjusted or her fast acting ratio needs increasing. Plus she's at the age where puberty and periods begin, and that sends bs up through the roof. There's my suggestions, i'm afraid it's the best i can think of, but hope it's been of some help.
Take care and i hope you resovlve the problem soon.
Suzi x
Ps i recently learnt on a course that if you take the average units of insulin per day ie 40 divide into a 100 and you get 2 and 1/2 thats your base line for correction doses = eg bs 16 minus 7 = 8 divide by 2 1/2 = round it up,3u for correction.

MagsW

Thank you for responding, interesting that you vary units of insulin to carbs at different times of day - might give that a try

thanks again, MagsW

suzi said:
Hi MagsW,
I find my son goes through times like this when you explore every avenue, but still have high numbers. I have found with my son that he needs 2u of humalog to every 10g of carbs at breakfast, 1 1/2u of humalog to every 10g carbs at lunchtime and just 1u per 10g carb at teatime and 19u of Levemir at bedtime. Most days its still trial and error, especially having to take into account physical activities ect. Plus some foods have higher/lower glycemix index which just plain comfuse me. Us poor mothers have to be dieticians, mathematicians and nurse maid rolled into one. :) Perhaps your daughter needs her basal adjusted or her fast acting ratio needs increasing. Plus she's at the age where puberty and periods begin, and that sends bs up through the roof. There's my suggestions, i'm afraid it's the best i can think of, but hope it's been of some help.
Take care and i hope you resovlve the problem soon.
Suzi x
Ps i recently learnt on a course that if you take the average units of insulin per day ie 40 divide into a 100 and you get 2 and 1/2 thats your base line for correction doses = eg bs 16 minus 7 = 8 divide by 2 1/2 = round it up,3u for correction.