My 5 day dairy fat fast

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on Monday after lunch and then continued from Tuesday 28th July to Sat 1st August

This experiment was inspired by the fat fast thread of @Baruney , @nomistheman and @Merrylizard1314 . Thank you all of you.

Background.

I have yoyo dieted for very many years. No diet ever worked for me long term until I started following LCHF. As at Monday last week I had lost 2 stones 11 pounds since April 1st 2014. I had also lost 7 pounds before this date but this took me around 2 years to achieve. My metabolism has suffered greatly by so much dieting and cutting down of calories, so much so that I have very gradually increased the amount I eat to at least 1200-1300 calories a day, sometimes up to about 1800 calories, but never less than 1200. I need to keep my metabolism boosted. I will no longer starve myself to lose weight.

Reasons for undertaking a 5 day fat fast.

There were two reasons I did this.

1. Hopefully to lose a few pounds

2. To give my metabolism a boost by consuming more calories
I read the 5 day fat fast thread. I googled ‘fat fast’. The recommendations generally seemed to be to have around 1200 calories, mostly fat. I didn’t like the sound of this, that’s the calorie level I usually have anyway. So how would this improve things for me longer term? I decided to tailor the advice to suit me.

For all my years of yoyo dieting I believed the statement that to lose weight you had to cut calories, that ‘calories in had to be less than calories out’ for someone to lose weight. This was true for me for my first few diets, but then as I tried harder and harder to lose weight my metabolism slowed down. So much so that in 1997 (? ) I dieted for a month. I consumed 1000 calories a day or less and walked 2 miles every day. I didn’t normally do any exercise at that time so was expecting to lose at least a little weight. I stayed the same. Following the calories in/calories out advice over the years I had slowed my metabolism down so much that I was burning very few calories. Increasing the amount of exercise did nothing to help.

In 2007 my son and I had flu. After 11 days of eating very little, I only lost ½ pound. I realised that reducing my food intake was never going to help me to lose weight. So after a few more bad ideas, I started with my own version of LCHF (I had never heard the name until I joined this forum in 2013) that’s how I lost the 7 pounds in 2 years. Then I worked harder at LCHF to lose the rest when I started my thread last year.

Since around late November last year my weight has stayed around the same, going up and down 3 pounds or so, but I wasn’t managing to lose any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fat fast.

I started on Monday afternoon, on a whim really. I had been to the chiropractor and she had told me to rest for 2 days and not do a great deal of exercise for a few more days.

I wanted to have foods I love and to keep it as simple as possible, whilst consuming as much fat as I wanted and very few carbs and protein. Nowadays I ignore the calories in/calories out bit as it simply doesn’t work for me. The statement I choose to believe now is: – the metabolism is like a fire, you need to give it plenty of fuel to keep it burning. Eating fat has to be a great way of getting the fire to burn better. I have had less than normal exercise since Monday; I have done the bare minimum that I needed to do.

The 5 day fast was by no means a healthy balanced diet and the advice is not to carry on with a fat fast for more than 5 days. I took vitamin supplements. My diet consisted of things mostly beginning with C(not planned just a coincidence)! Cream (double), corned beef, cheese, cucumber, coffee, chocolate (99%) plus milk in tea and butter, and lots of water. I don’t like the fat on meat, so if I had a lot of meat it would be mostly protein, not fat, so I stuck to dairy produce for my fat intake. I didn’t try to restrict calories at all. I just ate until I didn’t want anymore. I used my fitness pal to record my carb/fat/protein/calorie intake.

My average daily intake over the 5 full days of the fat fast was:-

Cals 2312
Carbs 15.8 g
Fat 238 g
Protein 26.4 g

Allowing for 4 calories per gram of carbs and protein and 9 calories per gram of fat, the calorie percentage works out as follows.

Carbs 2.74%
Fat 92.69%
Protein 4.57%

My fasting BGs were:-

Tues 5.7
Weds 6.1*
Thurs 6.3
Fri 5.3
Sat 5.4
Sun 4.8

*Tuesday night I thought I would have to abandon this experiment as I woke with a sore throat. I had a teaspoonful of manuka honey for medicinal purposes and thankfully did not succumb to the same virus that my husband had at the time. I included it in my food diary.

My weightloss ( I weighed yesterday morning) since I last weighed on Monday 28th July is 6 pounds. I am now the lightest I have been for 10 years.

Before I started LCHF and back when very little was known about the Newcastle diet, I did another diet and this one was for 7 weeks. I ate 600 calories daily, nearly all carbs, because all I ate was veggies. Yes I lost weight, but nothing comparable to this experiment. I lost around a stone and a quarter in those 7 weeks, on a starvation diet. This recent experiment was calorie laden and I still lost weight without slowing down my metabolism by starving myself.

I have heard some people say it is madness to add fat to your diet in order to lose weight as fat contains more calories than carbs or protein. It isn’t madness, it works! By definition a calorie is the energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Our bodies are more complicated than this though and not all calories are equal. Calories in/calories out only tells part of the story.

I plan to continue with LCHF and maybe do another fat fast in 3 months or so.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Fascinating stuff Zand and well done :)

Reactions: 7 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, have read elsewhere about Fat Fasts never had the courage to try them myself, you are an inspiration, sometimes we just have to think outside the box to achieve anything, :D

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure had started to creep up and I needed to lose more weight, so I had tried nearly everything else, so I thought why not? :)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating.

Is it OK if I ask a few questions?

- What was your carb intake during the days before your FF? (I am wondering how much glycogen you had on board)

- And since you stopped the FF, have you regained any weight? (I am wondering if any of your loss was replaced by fluid retention when you reverted to LCHF.

- how did you feel during the FF? (energy levels, concentration, sleep quality)

- Did you have any dietary conseqences (I think we all know what I mean) from the FF and effectively eliminating fibre from your diet for 5 days?

- what were your ketones?

I take my hat off to you @zand - that is far more hardcore than anything I would do, and I think it is marvellous that it has paid off!

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

Thanks for the questions.

- What was your carb intake during the days before your FF? (I am wondering how much glycogen you had on board)
I would say around 50g for the previous week, before that slightly lower.

- And since you stopped the FF, have you regained any weight? (I am wondering if any of your loss was replaced by fluid retention when you reverted to LCHF).

I weighed this morning and I am the same weight as on Sunday morning. I'll post an update in a week or so.

- how did you feel during the FF? (energy levels, concentration, sleep quality)

I felt good. Sleep quality and energy levels were unchanged. These have been fairly good since following LCHF anyway. Concentration is a little improved, but again LCHF had already helped my concentration greatly. I didn't feel hungry at all because I ate as much as I wanted.

- Did you have any dietary consequences (I think we all know what I mean) from the FF and effectively eliminating fibre from your diet for 5 days?

Yes, this was the only downside of the fat fast for me. Let's say I am a little constipated, but nothing drastic. ;)I used psyllium husk capsules, but should have been more prepared and got some powder in. I drank plenty of water. I will be having a plateful of veggies for my evening meal tonight! I didn't have a chance to have much veg yesterday as I was out all day.

- what were your ketones?

For the first 24 hours zero.
After that 4.0 every time I tested.
This afternoon they are back to zero. ( I didn't have chance to test yesterday)

Yes I think it's marvellous too. I took over 6 months to lose the last pound and now it's 6 pounds in 5 and a bit days. I'll certainly do it again, but I need to give my bowels a rest from it first. :rolleyes:

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I must admit to being tempted to give it a go, buuuuut not having a gallbladder I'm a bit unsure of the consequences of all the fat, I have enough trouble stopping the trots on enough fat, sorry if that's TMI, so its a shame as I have about half a stone to lose and to be able to get shot of in a week would suit me fine.

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit to being tempted to give it a go, buuuuut not having a gallbladder I'm a bit unsure of the consequences of all the fat, I have enough trouble stopping the trots on enough fat, sorry if that's TMI, so its a shame as I have about half a stone to lose and to be able to get shot of in a week would suit me fine.

Yes, I realize it's not for everyone :( which is a shame because it's so easy to do.

Reactions: 5 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news Zand. 6lb weight loss and decent BG levels whilst eating foods you enjoy has got to be worth shouting about. Do keep us updated with your future progress.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @zand - bit too hardcore for me as I don't like fat on meat either, but nor do I like a lot of dairy either, plays havoc with my psoriasis and my diverticulitis- but I understand how and why you did it and glad it worked for you. I too am stuck haven't lost weight for a few months but maintaining so have to be happy with that. Well done again:)

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @zand - bit too hardcore for me as I don't like fat on meat either, but nor do I like a lot of dairy either, plays havoc with my psoriasis and my diverticulitis- but I understand how and why you did it and glad it worked for you. I too am stuck haven't lost weight for a few months but maintaining so have to be happy with that. Well done again:)

Thanks. :) You've lost loads already, it's so good that you're maintaining the loss. :)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zand what a great result well done girl !!!! Even though not posted for a while have been popping in and keeping an eye on you. Back in UK now still not sure if it was the right thing to do but here we are ! Glad you are doing so well

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, good to see your little furry face, @connie104

How are you? You had a hip operation, didn't you? Or have I mixed you up with someone else (in which case I apologise profusely). At least you are here in Summer, so you will get used to the climate as it drifts towards Winter.

Merrylizard1314

Excellently done,@zand,, the most difficult part is keeping the records! It is fairly easy to do, otherwise, don't you think? One day down for me, and stronger BPC tomorrow!
Again, well done you

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@zand , where do I start?
First, well done and if so bold, a really descriptive report!
Second, congratulations on doing the fat fast! The first one will lead the way to getting experience as you will as you have posted, learnt a lot from the experience!
Third, great results, and I'm not talking about Arsenal!
And so on and a well done!

In my trials and tribulations, I have found calories, counting or otherwise, will not lose you weight or do much for control, Full fat is a huge energy source, when your carb intake is very low.

If you can before your next fat fast, you may try a fasting day, to rid your body of glucose, glycogen and get your endocrine system ready. So that your body will kick in faster using full fat!

I do eat the protein fat, and full fat yoghurt, but no butter, cream, and milk!
But because I'm in ketosis, all my energy doesn't come from carbs!

It's really good stuff isn't it? The feeling of wellbeing and the energy levels, actually make you want to do more! And the more you do and you don't feel tired, so you want to do more and so on!

I'm really pleased for you, keep it up!

Oh yeah! Really great!