My cholesterol results

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

So I got my breakdown cholesterol back. What do you think. Someone who avoided fat gets this...

Total 5.1

Trig 1.5

HDL 1.0
LDL 3.4

VLDL 0.7

So bad cholesterol outweighs good ??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I dove back into LCHF after diagnosis, and embraced not just fat but saturated fat.
80 days later total cholesterol 5.7 (down 0.6)
Triglycerides 2

HDL 1.42
LDL 3.4

we don't get the very LDL level.

Reactions: coleyd

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Prem51 and coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Put my numbers in and all OK except HDL which is high risk but my HDL is "normal" - what am I missing?
Is it the fact that your ldl Is higher than your hdl which is the case with me hdl too low basically?

Reactions: Freema

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been attending The Heart Revolution online this week - (learn more at https://heartlovesoul.me/the-heart-revolution/free-event_2017/?oprid=3527 ) - and learned a lot from an interview with Decker Weiss, NMD. I then went onto YouTube and found a lecture he gave last year. It's a 40 minute lecture with a 20 minute question and answer. It's technical but worth a listen. He also is saying cholesterol is not the problem, that we need to monitor other markers...

Women and Heart Disease: Naturopathic Approaches with Dr. Weiss

His area of interest is in preventing heart attacks. During his 20 years of practice, only 3 of his patients have had a heart attack. Much of what he had to say I've not heard elsewhere. Fascinating...

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For those concerned about cholesterol, watch the film Statin Nation over on dietdoctor.com. This is a short extract which shows that the data in Japan people have low rates of heart disease, despite high cholesterol levels and those with low cholesterol have high mortality rates from diseases such as liver cancer ...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's so weird to hear yet i believe it more and more now
I think he now has records of 23 people who have repeated the test with the same results.. some from dieting others from fasting then eating the fat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@coleyd

Your HDL is low. It should be between 1.2 and 3.5. The higher within that standard the better. HDL is normally low if you eat carbs. The lower your carbs, the higher your HDL (good cholesterol) should be.

Trigs should be 0 to 1.8. Did you fast for this test? If not, that is why your triglycerides are at the higher end of normal. If you didn't fast, your triglycerides would be out and about swimming in your blood stream carrying away the dietary fat. In other words, doing the job they are intended to do, and therefore show as high in blood tests. If you fasted it is a different story.

Your LDL should be under 3 with as little VLDL as possible because these VLDL particles are the baddies (along with the trigs)

Your VLDL looks good to me. They should be under 1.7, so that is good and means your LDL is mostly good as it has a lot of big fluffy particles that do no damage...

To me, if you eat low carb with plenty of oily fish and other omega 3 foods, these should all improve.

I eat very low carb and very high fat. These are my latest results, which have been stable like this for over 2 years. They were a lot worse on diagnosis.

Total 5.6
HDL 2.51
LDL 2.8
Trigs 0.7

Total/HDL ratio 2.2 (should be under 4)
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.24 (should be under 0.87)

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@coleyd

Your HDL is low. It should be between 1.2 and 3.5. The higher within that standard the better. HDL is normally low if you eat carbs. The lower your carbs, the higher your HDL (good cholesterol) should be.

Trigs should be 0 to 1.8. Did you fast for this test? If not, that is why your triglycerides are at the higher end of normal. If you didn't fast, your triglycerides would be out and about swimming in your blood stream carrying away the dietary fat. In other words, doing the job they are intended to do, and therefore show as high in blood tests. If you fasted it is a different story.

Your LDL should be under 3 with as little VLDL as possible because these VLDL particles are the baddies (along with the trigs)

Your VLDL looks good to me. They should be under 1.7, so that is good and means your LDL is mostly good as it has a lot of big fluffy particles that do no damage...

To me, if you eat low carb with plenty of oily fish and other omega 3 foods, these should all improve.

I eat very low carb and very high fat. These are my latest results, which have been stable like this for over 2 years. They were a lot worse on diagnosis.

Total 5.6
HDL 2.51
LDL 2.8
Trigs 0.7

Brill thanks. Well yew my trigs was a fasting one so what does that mean ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@coleyd

Total 5.6
HDL 2.51
LDL 2.8
Trigs 0.7

And my ratio total to hdl is 5.1 !!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brill thanks. Well yew my trigs was a fasting one so what does that mean ?

It just means your fasting trigs are normal but at the higher end of the normal range.

And my ratio total to hdl is 5.1 !!

That will improve if you can raise your HDL. The higher the HDL and the lower the LDL the better it will be

These are some of the best foods we can eat to raise our HDL and lower LDL.
Olive Oil, fatty fish especially salmon, ground flaxseed, chia seed, nuts, avocado, and believe it or not - red wine.(one glass a day max). Plus low carb.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Mine was 5.6 when I had it tested (not a fasting test and over 3 months ago - HDL was 2.7, LDL was 2.6, trigs were 0.5 - and then the docs started whinging about statins! They can so get lost!

Reactions: Prem51