My days

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well ,its day 6 and after a glitch yesterday I really thought I'd have to go back to the beginning but I made it.after such a high reading at teatime I was feeling so bad,like a failure.i'm disappointed with my doctor for not trying a bit harder to contact a dietician for the nutrition drinks.its been nearly a week now.i know the drinks have a lot of sugar but the doctor said theres a drug I can take that counteracts the sugar leaving me all the nutrition(I dont understand it myself,I just hope he's not given me false hope!)Darrens niece is over in uk from Marbella where she lives and we're going out on sunday for lunch along with darrens dad which will be an ordeal (not his dad lol) I'll just take my egg with me!! Hopefully Sunday will be my last egg day as I've got some smoked mackerel to try for a change.i'm hopefully only going to eat the same food for only one week at a time max so each monday should start the new week with a new food.dont know if it will work but it sounds ok,then eventually i may even eat different foods daily.my menu from next monday should be fruit at breakfast fish at lunchtime and vegetables for tea.I will try lettuce and cucumber with the mackerel as I like both.i did receive an email from my DN from the surgery telling me not to eat Beige Foods which threw me a little as she didn't explain why????

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just about to set off to mums at york as she has a hospital appointment today.it will take me 2 hours to get there as the traffic is always bad at this time on a morning.its going to be another long day. Hope everyone else has a good day. Happy Wednesday to all x x

Reactions: KezG

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well ,its day 6 and after a glitch yesterday I really thought I'd have to go back to the beginning but I made it.after such a high reading at teatime I was feeling so bad,like a failure.i'm disappointed with my doctor for not trying a bit harder to contact a dietician for the nutrition drinks.its been nearly a week now.i know the drinks have a lot of sugar but the doctor said theres a drug I can take that counteracts the sugar leaving me all the nutrition(I dont understand it myself,I just hope he's not given me false hope!)Darrens niece is over in uk from Marbella where she lives and we're going out on sunday for lunch along with darrens dad which will be an ordeal (not his dad lol) I'll just take my egg with me!! Hopefully Sunday will be my last egg day as I've got some smoked mackerel to try for a change.i'm hopefully only going to eat the same food for only one week at a time max so each monday should start the new week with a new food.dont know if it will work but it sounds ok,then eventually i may even eat different foods daily.my menu from next monday should be fruit at breakfast fish at lunchtime and vegetables for tea.I will try lettuce and cucumber with the mackerel as I like both.i did receive an email from my DN from the surgery telling me not to eat Beige Foods which threw me a little as she didn't explain why????

that seems to be a good plan proud of you... just keep your eyes on the track... good that the foods you like are so healthy...

Reactions: KezG and Jogreen21

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

By beige foods she probably means that beige foods are high in carbs
Potatoes, spaghetti pasta - are all kind of beige

On the eating " one food " - have a think about making your own " one" food - when you blend a lot of healthy stuff together it tastes like one food but its got a lot of different nutrients in it.

Reactions: Jogreen21

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Popcorn has 74g of carb per 100g. For me it would be a no. All I can suggest is test before and again 2 hours after

I'm not challenging the figures you are quoting there, @walnut_face , but this is a case in point where we each have to consider how much of any given food (or ingredient or drink) we are actually going to consume.

I'm not a massive popcorn fan, but there is one brand which does a spicy, cheesy variant, which I quite like, once in a while. The bag has around 12gr carb, if I recall, so whilst not a food to be mainlining day-in/day-out, it's fine in my world for the occassional snack.

Similarly, I use a few condiments (sauces or pickles) which look horrendous on the jar, but that's for 100gr. Realistically, I might add a teaspoonful to any given dish. That's a fraction of 100gr, and to be honest, if it means I enjoy that meal way more than I would without the ingredient, I'll ride that "risk".

@Jogreen21 - I know it's early days for you, and there's a massive amount to take on board, but do try to think about the foregoing (actually quantities consumed); it can make a difference to the options and variety of food, and recipes available to us.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I eat popcorn. I have the Sunbites multi packs (6 little 12g bags) and each bag is 7.1g of carbs. I usually have it very soon after a low carb meal and I haven't yet (touch wood) had any problems with it.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Ah - another beige food person. My non-D husband doesn't eat beige foods. In our home beige food is anything that is covered in breadcrumbs, bread products, pastry, batter, or something that is very pale then roasted and goes beige (potatoes, parsnips) - literally anything that is beige. The opposite of not eating beige food is eating a rainbow as foods (especially bright coloured veg) in the colours of the rainbow contain lots of vitamins. He prefers to have at least five different colours on his plate - we normally compromise on three or four.

He started on this way of eating (incorporating a lot of paleo foods) after becoming tired all the time and generally lacking in enthusiasm for anything - and he does seem a lot healthier since he gave up beige and started on the rainbow. :)