My dog has been diagnosed with diabetes today

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Issabellasmum, my vets have been great but it's nice to talk to people who have been through it. I'm still trying to get used to it, Sam is doing well but I've noticed he's starting to bump into things over the last couple of days and I can see his eyes have clouded slightly now. He's ok as long as he knows where he is but he wont go far from me. He's always been the typical nutty collie but it seems he has no confidence now. We're back at the vets on Wednesday, so will see what they say about that. Adjusting the times worked ok yesterday, I just worry that I'm putting him at risk by doing it. On the plus side I've found a brilliant app that lets me set up an ipad to iphone live camera so that I can keep an eye on him when I'm not at home, I'm hoping it will stop me worrying so much, fingers crossed we'll be sorted soon :)

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi all, my border collie Sam was diagnosed with diabetes just over a week ago and this thread has been really useful. My vet has advised 6 units twice daily at 8am and 8pm. This is fine for 5 days out of 7 but on 2 days a week I work 2.30-10.30pm and therefore have a problem. I discussed this with my vet who suggested changing the times little by little before I work late. That's kind of ok except that there is no set pattern or day when this happens, and, sometimes I'm at work at 9 in the morning following an evening shift so would cause poor Sam to be hypo if I gave insulin too soon after his evening dose. Has anyone else had this problem or have any practical suggestions as to how I can manage this? Any advice would be appreciated :)

It's just a suggestion, so please check with your vet. Would it work with a small snack for Sam if you have to inject early? Or even better have you a nice neighbour who can doggy sit and would be happy to inject Sam for you?

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi CarbsRok, I'll check with the vet on that, it may be a solution :) I don't know my neighbours well enough to be able to ask them for that but my other collie Flint is so protective of Sam I wouldn't like to take the risk, he has made himself into guard dog and I don't want to put anyone in that situation. The only person I would trust is my dad but he's in his 80s so I don't want him to be driving over here for me. I'm finding the practicalities a little overwhelming at the moment but we're just a week in and so it's early days, I'm sure I'll look back in a couple of months and wonder why I was so stressed about it all lol :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I'm sure I'll look back in a couple of months and wonder why I was so stressed about it all lol :)
LozzieM,
I'm sure that anyone who loves their dogs, would understand how our boys/girls having this disease would stress you out, Chin up! You don't want them worrying about you worrying about them!

Reactions: 3 people

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Issabellasmum, my vets have been great but it's nice to talk to people who have been through it. I'm still trying to get used to it, Sam is doing well but I've noticed he's starting to bump into things over the last couple of days and I can see his eyes have clouded slightly now. He's ok as long as he knows where he is but he wont go far from me. He's always been the typical nutty collie but it seems he has no confidence now. We're back at the vets on Wednesday, so will see what they say about that. Adjusting the times worked ok yesterday, I just worry that I'm putting him at risk by doing it. On the plus side I've found a brilliant app that lets me set up an ipad to iphone live camera so that I can keep an eye on him when I'm not at home, I'm hoping it will stop me worrying so much, fingers crossed we'll be sorted soon :)
LozzieM I'm very interested in the app you talk about iPad to iPhone , I worry terribly about Issabella as I also work full time and she is home alone , never a problem before but the what ifs come into my mind often now she's a diabetic. Took her out today for a day out which we have done so often before , so sad she needed emergency medication (honey ) whilst out she became unwell twitching and very weak . She cannot walk as far now and seems to have aged over night (11yrs old ) . Hope Sam continues to improve Issabella is on 13 units twice a day and seems that will go up vets next week more blood tests .
Issabellasmum :))

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Issabellasmum, the app is called Presence, download it to an ipad or iphone you can leave at home to use as a camera and one you can take out with you. I tested it today and its fantastic, best of all it's free :) Sam is 11 too, he seems to have aged suddenly and I've noticed today he's bumping into things, his eyes look a little cloudy, I know most dogs with diabetes can develop cataracts but everything seems to be happening so fast :/ He's not keen to go out at the moment but I'm not sure if that's because he feels unwell or because he can't see properly. I work full time too and am at work tomorrow, it will be the longest I've left Sam since his diagnosis so I wanted something I could keep an eye on him with. I'm just hoping I don't spend all day glued to my phone now, panicking if he's not moving when he's asleep lol :)

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
LozzieM I understand your fears completely I think it's so sad as they cannot tell us how they feel ,I find Issabella looks at us with eyes that are trying to tell me something and I cannot understand her . I hope today goes well I'm sure Sam will just have his usual day :) let us know how he goes, as you said its nice to be able to share your concerns with a fellow diabetic dog owner . Thank you for the info on the app I shall look into that later today . Try not to worry to much .
Issabellasmum, the app is called Presence, download it to an ipad or iphone you can leave at home to use as a camera and one you can take out with you. I tested it today and its fantastic, best of all it's free :) Sam is 11 too, he seems to have aged suddenly and I've noticed today he's bumping into things, his eyes look a little cloudy, I know most dogs with diabetes can develop cataracts but everything seems to be happening so fast :/ He's not keen to go out at the moment but I'm not sure if that's because he feels unwell or because he can't see properly. I work full time too and am at work tomorrow, it will be the longest I've left Sam since his diagnosis so I wanted something I could keep an eye on him with. I'm just hoping I don't spend all day glued to my phone now, panicking if he's not moving when he's asleep lol :)

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Issabellasmum, in from work and the app worked fantastically. It messages your phone if there is movement so that you can check or just check in when you want to. I looked a lot less after I'd settled in at work, Sam and Flint settled as soon as I left and slept most of the day so stressing for nothing. It's well worth using and the peace of mind is wonderful. I'm almost 100% sure Sam can't see now, he gives the impression of looking but is doing it by sound I think, as soon as I move anything he walks into it, although I think he may be able to see some light and dark. I think that's why he seems wobbly because he's unsure where things are. Everything I've read says that dogs adjust to this very quickly but they can have an operation for the cataracts sometimes. It's an awful thing to say but if that's the case it will be down to whether the insurance will cover it or not. Fingers crossed for a simple solution :)

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello LozzieM I'm so pleased you got through the day without to much stress ,the app sounds great I'm thinking of setting it up myself , trouble is I'm not supposed to have my phone on in work. Will get my wrists firmly slapped if I get caught sneaky peaking !
It's only been a couple of weeks since Issabella has been diagnosed and to some degree she's much better but in other ways the changes are very concerning . She is weaker a lot less energy and as I said before she's suddenly got old. Today she fell from top to bottom of the stairs, as she reached the top she just slid all the way down , like her back legs just could not hold her ,thankfully no injuries to her I nearly broke my neck trying to catch her !! It's such a worry all day every day ,extremely costly and time consuming I don't feel I can do as I did before . But when you love your dog nothing is too much at the end of the day . We have diabetes in our family my partners brother and my sister so we do have some idea of the problems that can arise, but they can tell us Issabella cannot and she is relying on us to get it right that's what scares me. I would be happy if you would keep in touch on how Sam and you are doing . A problem shared ......
Issabellasmum :)

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I will definitely keep in touch, like you say problems shared and someone may have a solution. Sam did exactly the same on the stairs on Saturday which is when I looked for a forum. Fortunately he was only 3 stairs up, exactly the same as if his back legs had no strength, and slid back down. Like you I nearly went head over heels getting to him. Sam and Flint have always had the run of the house and sleep upstairs. Since then I only let Sam near the stairs when I'm with him and shut them in the bedroom with me at night. It's not ideal but at least I know he's safe. I thought about a stair gate but Flint would jump it and then I'd be back at the vets again. Confined to the kitchen when I'm out now unfortunately. One thing I have noticed is that Sam always lies with his back against a wall now, maybe so that he knows where he is when he wakes up. At the moment he's on the sofa with me batting my arm for a fuss :)

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I will definitely keep in touch, like you say problems shared and someone may have a solution. Sam did exactly the same on the stairs on Saturday which is when I looked for a forum. Fortunately he was only 3 stairs up, exactly the same as if his back legs had no strength, and slid back down. Like you I nearly went head over heels getting to him. Sam and Flint have always had the run of the house and sleep upstairs. Since then I only let Sam near the stairs when I'm with him and shut them in the bedroom with me at night. It's not ideal but at least I know he's safe. I thought about a stair gate but Flint would jump it and then I'd be back at the vets again. Confined to the kitchen when I'm out now unfortunately. One thing I have noticed is that Sam always lies with his back against a wall now, maybe so that he knows where he is when he wakes up. At the moment he's on the sofa with me batting my arm for a fuss :)
It's quite amazing that these poor dogs are doing the same thing , as yet I've not noticed Issabella having any sight problems ,she's losing her hearing in past few months though. We are going on holiday soon and our daughters normally look after her but as they live in a second floor flat we have great concerns about her getting up those stairs several times a day as well as the girls having to give her insulin . With no other person to look after her we are worried , cannot afford to cancel holiday in Greece and don't want to as it's much needed . That's our next problem . Give Sam a stroke from me .
Issabellasmum

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
My vets have recommended pet sitters, it may be worth asking yours. I don't know what area you're in but there's a pet hotel around here somewhere that a friend of mine uses, they cater for dogs who have special requirements. It may me worth googling your area to see if theres anything like that by you. I'll give Sam another stroke, am sure he'll be happy with that lol. Fingers crossed for your holiday, I'm sure there will be a solution :)

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello LozzieM I was wondering how Sam is doing, Issabella has had 2 hypo's in the last week ,it was really is scary.
She just seemed to become very weak and weary then literally fell over and her eyes looked awful she was losing consciousness ,I gave her some honey and she perked up. Back to the vets this week . Not had much luck with finding somewhere or someone to look after her when we go on our holiday and times running out .Its a real worry
Issabellasmum

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Issabellasmum, sorry for late reply, work's been a bit manic! Sam is doing really well. He's been in at the vet today for a glucose curve and they've upped his insulin slightly to 8 twice a day. Other than that he's put some weight back on. His eyesight has definitely gone but the vet is confident they can operate once his diabetes is fully stable. Sorry to Issabella has had some hypos, hope she's doing ok now. Fortunately Sam hasn't had any but I'm sure it will scare me too if it happens. I've found a couple of boarding kennels that specify they are able to administer insulin so maybe that could be an option for you? What county are you in and I'll see if I can get any recommendations for you :) LozzieM

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
LozzieM ,good to hear Sam is doing well, Issabella is quite good so far this week her insulin has been reduced to 10
twice a day , she was originally on 13. I think we may have found someone to look after her but I am interested in your finds, we live in Hertfordshire. It's all very much a learning curve and learning to adjust your life totally to their needs. Issabella has always played a massive part of our life but now she rules it :))
Hope Sam continues to thrive ,
Issabellasmum

LozzieM

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean, my life revolves around food and injection times now. Fortunately we're not the most sociable of people so it's not too much of an issue lol. I'll have a mooch tomorrow and see if I can find anything in your area just in case you need a back up plan. We're in the Midlands so if there are places here that will do it, there should be some by you. I know how you feel though, I've just given away concert tickets as I don't feel I could ask anyone to sort Sam for me. Hugs to Issabella and will let you know if I find anything :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I have just seen some medical alert tags for dogs, on eBay, and thought of you.

I found them using 'medical alert' as the search.

Issabellasmum

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have just seen some medical alert tags for dogs, on eBay, and thought of you.

I found them using 'medical alert' as the search.
Brunneria thank you very much for that info, I shall get hubby onto that as he's the ebayer in this family.
I apparently unusual in that I don't have eBay account or Facebook !!
Rather read a good book ...... Cheers for you time .
Issabellasmum

Reactions: 2 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Resurrecting this thread as one of our dogs has just been diagnosed with diabetes. We were pretty sure she had it as she started drinking loads and waking us up about 3:00am to go to the loo.
She has to spend a day at the vets tomorrow where they determine her "glucose curve" and insulin dose and after that she'll be on twice daily insulin injections. She's a pretty hardly little dog (didn't even flinch when the vet took a blood sample from her neck), so I'm sure she'll take it all in her stride

Fortunately, we've got pet insurance which will cover 80% of the monthly cost

Here's a picture of her looking as cute as ever :)

File_000.jpeg

Reactions: tina_marie

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awww sorry to hear that @phil1966 Bless her. You are in a good position to know how to manage her diabetes and keep an eye on the carbs in her food!

My dog went for spaying a month ago. Just as I do for myself, I asked for a print out of the pre-op blood tests and was horrified to see her blood glucose was 7.5. (The maximum for dogs is 6.1). The vet was certain this would be down to the stress of being left at the vets and being messed about with pre-op but offered to do another test when she went back to have her stitches out. He just used a meter similar to the ones we use, and the result came out at 5.1. Phew!! So dogs can have raised levels caused by stress just like us.

Reactions: phil1966