My favourite kitchen gadgets - what are yours?

C

chris lowe

Yes, cheese on toast with marmite yummmm. I think the only thing I've not tried marmite on is ice cream, so perhaps Heston B could whizz up a recipe for me.

Thundercat, I've bought a Karcher floor steamer that can be use as a hand steamer as well for cleaning ovens and tile grout etc. boght it a bout two months ago and it's still in the box! nI tend to sweep the floor before bed and then drop a floor wipe on the floor and shuffle around the kitchen with it on the bottom on my slippers :lol:

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Philips Air Fryer. Does so many things. When I first got it I was using it for so many things like low carb chips, baked potatoes etc but now have had to readjust my chips to carrot or celeriac chips. Had these a couple of nights ago. They stay a bit soft as there is a lot of water in the celeriac itself but still good fun. Sausages are great from the Fryer as well. Feel fried but using no extra oil at all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is my favourite kitchen gadget. He does all the main meal cooking. :)

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

We had a magic bullet for a few years. really useful and handy until I managed to burn the motor out ... not sure how/why! Probably the neighbour's cat got jammed in the works! 'She' wants me to get another and I notice they're still selling. They've been around for a long time now which is a good sign. Didn't know about the milk to cream bit. Is yours the JML one? I notice there are a few 'copies' around.

Yes I had one and burnt the motor out after a few years now I have a Ninja drink and food processor it is just a jug type one but larger than the bullet and does all the bullet did and more. Great for grinding ice to make slush puppy type drinks for the kids

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most wonderful first:

Vitamix (hot soup, frozen ice cream, grinding coffee, bullet proof coffee and making pate)
Slow cooker (which will also brown meat and roast)
Halogen oven (I haven't used the main oven or grill for 4 years)
Dolce Gusto coffee machine
Dehydrator (mainly kale crisps, raw cookies and dried berries)

I only ever use two of my knives, the chefs knife and a paring knife.
Would LOVE a whole set of the same quality as those two!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby too!! Definitely... However, wish he could learn to wipe down cupboards n floors n worktops.

The 2nd best would be a new induction hob.. After it was bought and out in.. Read instructions. Do not use with an insulin pump!!! - never used it since new!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The 2nd best would be a new induction hob.. After it was bought and out in.. Read instructions. Do not use with an insulin pump!!! - never used it since new!!!

I tried that excuse when we hired a cottage in Scotland. It worked really well for 2 days until my husband turned round and said, "Here's an idea, why don't you just take your pump off? Then you can cook and reattach it afterwards!"

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby too!! Definitely... However, wish he could learn to wipe down cupboards n floors n worktops.

OMG - thank goodness my hubby is thick as s**t with reading instructions etc.. He only thinks I can take my pump off for a bath or shower!!!! He doesnt know I could take it off up to an hour at any other time..

Hubby swaps definitely banned.. I love being banned from the kitchen!!(OH) works 2-10 for 4 weeks at a time, he doesnt even wonder how I get in at those times!!

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Will those of you with Bullets, would you tell me how to make Bullet Proof Coffee please?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will those of you with Bullets, would you tell me how to make Bullet Proof Coffee please?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/

It isn't the gadget, it is just the way of making the coffee. You need really good coffee (it shouldn't be a blend, or cheap, choose a posh single blend). I use Grumpy Mule decaf brand. Most of the standard coffees are riddled with mould. The theory is that it's the mould that causes half the problems we blame on coffee. Not sure if I believe that, but I loooove coffee made this way.

You just make your coffee and blend it up with unsalted butter and coconut oil. Better than a meal. It's like rocket fuel, and it doesn't spike my sugars. Grin.

A

AnnieC

so no good I had
People seem to be raving on about the Tefal shredder (between about £40-80 ish) depending on the model. I have one of those manual ones, where you insert the appropriate drum and turn the handle, but the pieces of food need to be short. Search for something like Tefal shredder and you should find it. Mandolins are useful but deadly, but an option if you are brave and confident.

The best and quickest way to deal with garlic is to lean on it with the side of large knife blade and you will find the skin comes off dead easily. Then just chop it with a knife to size. Takes seconds and no clearing out the garlic press.

I had the Tefal electric vegetable slicer that slices and grates food depending on the drum you use. I bought it because I thought it would be a really quick way of slicing stuff for salads...what a waste of money it will hardly do any of the things I really bought it for it. It will only grate really hard cheese like parmesan slicing is limited to root veg and cucumber it will not slice cabbage tomatoes peppers or onions it just squashes them expensive machine at around £40 to just slice cucumber and carrots trouble is you only find out what it will not do after you buy it and read the instruction leaflet. It has now gone to the recycling centre
I now have a Anthony Worral Thompson small food processor it cost around £30 and it does a brilliant job of slicing all the stuff the Tefal would not do

Last edited:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I think the Henckels are a bit better and a harder steel than the the Sabatiers I have which are OK but need constant sharpening which can be a pain (especially if Mrs Bear gets her mitts on them). I know a pro chef who showed me the Global knives, but they are around £80-£200 a pop so I'll be picking and choosing which ones to get (if any).

The other thing I am very tempted to invest in is a sous vide machine, mostly because I love decent southern US style barbecue food and it's a cheats way of geting the same results without having the barbecue lit for 20 hours, but that's another story.
I have a sous vide circulator. It cost £400 and works perfectly. The only problem is that the sous vide method does not work. The meat comes out exactly the doneness you want every time but is far too dry. Look closely at you tube videos. I don't know how much money I wasted trying different meats and methods.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like my spiralizer to make courgettini. When my kids eat pasta I have my own version with the same tomato sauce or bolognese !