My first Hba1c translation in english please

vespa

Hi all, I hope some of the Knowledgeable ones can help out here.

I got my first Hba1c blood test results, dates and names of Nurse removed of course.

a little background to put the result in context, I was admitted to Hospital on New Years Eve with a blood reading of 26.1, thirst and frequent urination, diagnosed with Type 1 I was initially put on Novomix 18 morning 16 evening and Metformin 500mg, now I am on 8 morning 6 evening with 1000mg Metformin, I am thinking of reducing my Insulin further to 6 morning and 4 evening.

Results of April blood test vas requested
**/04/2013 Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised = 40 mmol/mol Excellent Control
**/04/2013 Serum urea level = 4.3 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Serum potassium = 4.5 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Serum sodium = 136 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Urea and electrolytes =
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio = 4.9
**/04/2013 Serum LDL cholesterol level = 3.11 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum HDL cholesterol level = 1.04 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Serum triglycerides = 2.09 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol = 5.1 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol/LDL ratio = Original Result: "CHOL+TRIG+HDL"
**/04/2013 GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD > 90 mL/min Original Result: 90mL/min/1.73m^2 ()
**/04/2013 Serum creatinine = 69 umol/L
**/04/2013 GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD = Original Result: "eGFR"

What do you guys make of this result and how does it translate into English for me ? Thanks

vespa

Looks like there is no one who is able to explain to me in laymen terms what these result means to me overall
in the context of Type 1 diabetes, I haven't seen my Doc or Nurse yet, this result was emailed to me.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**/04/2013 Haemoglobin A1c level - IFCC standardised = 40 mmol/mol Excellent Control
This shows how much glucose has become attatched to your red blood cells during the last 2-3 months (glycated haemoglobin). It is used to show the level of your blood glucose over this time. 40mmol/mol . This represents an estimated average glucose level of 6.7mmol/l
**/04/2013 Serum urea level = 4.3 mmol/L
The kidneys filter out substances including urea which is a waste product of protein from the body. Too much or too little isn't good.
Levels for individual labs may very but it isn't marked as either high or low so I assume that it is within range ( I found these ranges 2.5 - 10.7 mmol urea /L
Alternative source: 2.9-8.9 mmol/L )

**/04/2013 Serum potassium = 4.5 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Serum sodium = 136 mmol/L
When you loose a lot of water with high glucose levels (as when you were diagnosed) you also spill out potassium and sodium. So you become depleted in them.
Once again the levels aren't marked high or low ( so as before presumably within range ) Urea levels can also be affected during DKA.

**/04/2013 Urea and electrolytes =
Nothing there so as above
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio = 4.9
**/04/2013 Serum LDL cholesterol level = 3.11 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum HDL cholesterol level = 1.04 mmol/L
**/04/2013 Serum triglycerides = 2.09 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol = 5.1 mmol/L High
**/04/2013 Serum cholesterol/LDL ratio = Original Result: "CHOL+TRIG+HDL"
Cholesterol and triglycerides are fats/lipids in your blood. As you can see these are marked as high except for HDL which is considered to be protective . This isn't marked but is probably a bit low.
These are the targets for people with diabetes in the UK.
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... ts_lipids/
(I understand and it was certainly the case with me that when you loose a lot of weight ie when a lot of fat is broken down before diagnosis this can cause dysregulated cholesterol . This was certainly the case with me.(skyhigh trigs in particular) I don't know how long this lasts since I was given statins and they did fall very quickly )

**/04/2013 GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD > 90 mL/min Original Result: 90mL/min/1.73m^2 ()
**/04/2013 Serum creatinine = 69 umol/L
**/04/2013 GFR calculated abbreviated MDRD = Original Result: "eGFR"
They use the serum creatinine test, together with your age, gender, weight to estimate how well your kidneys are working as a filter (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) A level of over 90mL/min is normal. http://www.renal.org/whatwedo/Informati ... teGFR.aspx

vespa

Thanks all, you have helped to clarify for me what these results means and what each one represents,

Just had my C1 + D1 drivers medical this afternoon and its looking good and the Des seemed impressed with my average Hba1c blood sugar readings, just got to send it all off tomorrow for DVLA to look at and hope they are happy with it before the next step.