My GP is beyond naff.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I handed my repeat in earlier this week. All I needed was test strips. Ticked the box, popped it in to the doctors and went home for them to deliver it to me.
Simple you would think! Ooh no.

It came today.
I got...
Keto strips
Insulin
Needles for pens (I’m on a pump?!)
x5 novo pens

No test strips. I got the whole of my repeat prescription (why the pens are on there I do not know) but not the actual thing I ordered. I now don’t have enough test strips for the weekend and the pharmacy delivered them at 18:30 after the doctors was closed so I have to wait until Monday.

What an absolute numpty.

D

Deleted Account

This has happened to me previously. After some choice words to the surgery manager, they added a “review” step to their repeat prescription process.

In the meantime, your pharmacy should be able to provide test strips. You may have to pay for a box to tide you over. Or, if you are known to your pharmacist, they may be willing to “lend” you some.

In future, I recommend putting your repeat prescription in when you have a whole box of strips left.
And sending a polite but firm letter to your surgery manager.

Kingmob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prior to my diagnosis I'd never had a repeat prescription before. My first attempt required handing in request twice, two additional visits for blood tests, another separate visit to get blood pressure checked, two letters from practice asking me to update contact details and three attempts before details actually got updated. Asked for access to online repeat prescriptions, can login but can't see my medications or request a repeat.

Had second visit with DN a few days ago, pleasantly surprised when she asked if needed repeat prescription and got them printed and signed for within minutes.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a text from doctors today to say my dad's prescription is ready to collect - he's been in a care home since May and I haven't been responsible for his meds since then. Also the care home uses the same GP practice who have seen dad numerous times in the care home - left hand, right hand comes to mind o_O

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@claire1991 . That's an absolute disgrace. I would definitely make a formal complaint.
A similar situation for me a while back, but nowhere near as annoying.
I always ticked box on repeat prescription, dropped prescription to gp surgery and they electronically send to pharmacy.
On going to collect prescription from pharmacy there was an item missing. Checks revealed gp surgery was to blame.
Young girl at pharmacy gave me a good tip, instead of ticking box, purchase one of those fluorescent marker pens and actually colour over the item you need. It makes what you want so much more obvious.
When I asked receptionist at gp surgery if this was ok, she actually gave me a pen and said she wished everyone would do it.
I appreciate this offers no help now but maybe an option in the future.
Good luck for the weekend.

Robkww

You'd think they'd get something that is so simple, right. But they don't. I used to have to go to my doctors and start ranting like a maniac to get our prescriptions right. Thankfully, I have now found a fabulous pharmacist who questions everything with the GP and knows what should be on our prescriptions.

hi @mahola this is completely off beam but still important - your avatar looks very much like my dog when I had the good fortune to be with her

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I handed my repeat in earlier this week. All I needed was test strips. Ticked the box, popped it in to the doctors and went home for them to deliver it to me.
Simple you would think! Ooh no.

It came today.
I got...
Keto strips
Insulin
Needles for pens (I’m on a pump?!)
x5 novo pens

No test strips. I got the whole of my repeat prescription (why the pens are on there I do not know) but not the actual thing I ordered. I now don’t have enough test strips for the weekend and the pharmacy delivered them at 18:30 after the doctors was closed so I have to wait until Monday.

What an absolute numpty.

Hi there @claire1991 - I understand from other T1s who have posted, whilst in this bind, that there is potential for your pharmacy to give you some strips, pending receiving the relevant prescription. Whilst the Docs may be closed, are you able to talk to the pharmacy about it?

It strikes me, as you have your meds delivered, that you're a regular user of this pharmacy, so they're likely to understand you regularly have your particular strips.

Fingers crossed for you. What a bind!

Reactions: dbr10

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have problems with my repeat prescriptions. It is not the Dr's fault but the numptees who type them out! I also tick each item required PLUS UNDERLINE IN FLOURESCANT YELLOW.

micosmiling

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to pay just phone nhs helpline, they will get a GP to authorize your requirements at a local chemist and bingo sorted

Reactions: Ixarix

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is one of the reasons I changed GP, and I choose a new GP that activlty promotes on line access to test results and repeat prescriptions etc.

Reactions: dbr10

micosmiling

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to pay just phone nhs helpline, they will get a GP to authorize your requirements at a local chemist and bingo sorted
This is one of the reasons I changed GP, and I choose a new GP that activlty promotes on line access to test results and repeat prescriptions etc.
I know things like this are so frustrating with all the rest of the c#@p that goes with diabetes. Definitely need to keep those deep breathing relaxation techniques at the fore front of life. Things will seem better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A few things. Strips don't need a prescription but you would need to pay this time round for some? I would sign-up to your surgeries online system and do your future scripts online as there is less chance of mistakes. Also I always build up at least one month's stock of regular items so if things go wrong I can cope. I hope you get it sorted out.

Reactions: rosalindp

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'd think they'd get something that is so simple, right. But they don't. I used to have to go to my doctors and start ranting like a maniac to get our prescriptions right. Thankfully, I have now found a fabulous pharmacist who questions everything with the GP and knows what should be on our prescriptions.

Hey! Oddly enough on my last prescription, my test cartridges were "replaced" by a novo pen. (Reusable.)
Now I know I ticked the right boxes when I submitted the request at my surgery.
When I queried this with the pharmacist, she said "leave it with me. We get a few like this."

Now, I normally give a few days extra "grace" with prescription requests. So I wasn't running out..
The following day I dropped into the chemist on an "off chance." & she had my cartridges for the mobile meter!

Actually, she pretty much sees me comming down the road & has my script waiting as I walk through the door..!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know my pharmacist really well as I used to work there, they’re closed on weekends.
I’ve managed to dig out an old meter of mine so I can use that as a spare until Monday comes around.

I did have enough strips to last me a normal week, I ordered it when I started my last box. Thing is, I’ve been really unwell the last few days so I’ve been testing a lot more than I normally do.

Sod’s law!

Definitely going to order them online from now on!

micosmiling

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
A few things. Strips don't need a prescription but you would need to pay this time round for some? I would sign-up to your surgeries online system and do your future scripts online as there is less chance of mistakes. Also I always build up at least one month's stock of regular items so if things go wrong I can cope. I hope you get it sorted out.
No need to pay for emergency care. Just phone nhs helpline.

D

Deleted Account

I would sign-up to your surgeries online system and do your future scripts online as there is less chance of mistakes.
I use my surgery’s online system.
Whilst they have made less mistakes recently, it seems they still manually transpose from the online system to the system they use to print prescriptions. As a result, they are not faultless. Definitely numpties.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Physicians and folks in the healthcare system may have fancy titles but that does not mean they always get it right. ;o)
As a diabetic for life, you may want to build up your own little 'safety stock' at home. So over the months you will by end have extra equipment/sticks/insulin for minimum 6-9 months of time without new supplies coming in. But you keep at the steady rhythm as usual to keep the supplies rolling in, at the shortest timespan possible between each refill. At least your personal health is then assured, all while you give them some honest feedback to get their prescriptions in order.

They are only human beings like the rest of us, so over the years you will experience all kind of hilarious deliveries at your local pharmacy when wanting to pick up your stuff.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I make a gp appointment
I know my pharmacist really well as I used to work there, they’re closed on weekends.
I’ve managed to dig out an old meter of mine so I can use that as a spare until Monday comes around.

I did have enough strips to last me a normal week, I ordered it when I started my last box. Thing is, I’ve been really unwell the last few days so I’ve been testing a lot more than I normally do.

Sod’s law!

Definitely going to order them online from now on!
I make a gp appointment and tell gp i need those items removed from my repeats, permanently. After once of doing this my head receptionist is more than happy to remove them or at least take them off repeat.
Also bulk stock your test strips so you never run out again?
I nearly ran out the other day as they changed prescriptions from 2boxes of 50cartridges to 1box per order. Pharmacy requests 2boxes in future for me otherwise I'd be on phone nearly every week. I now order with my painkillers which I have to request very frequently due to being controlled drug.
My practice has just gone on-line fully. I'll give them a chance to settle down then try that service. A great idea, using on-line, if possible.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my surgery’s online system.
Whilst they have made less mistakes recently, it seems they still manually transpose from the online system to the system they use to print prescriptions. As a result, they are not faultless. Definitely numpties.
Hi again. How silly to do that manually. My surgery's scripts appear to come electronically from System Online so no mistakes. Hopefully yours will bin the Quill pen!

Reactions: ickihun

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine just ordered me the wrong strips. Which I didn't realise until I opened the new box on a Sunday morning and thought ****.