My hubby is losing too much weight

bonny

Hello everyone, I am new here and I hope everyone is well.
I have a query about my hubby who is diabetic type 2 and is losing so much weight.
He is constantly hungry and is always eating. He has a strenous job and sometimes feels weak at work.
What can he do??? Is there something he is doing wrong. Bonny.

Defren

bonny said:
I have a query about my hubby who is diabetic type 2 and is losing so much weight.
He is constantly hungry and is always eating. He has a strenous job and sometimes feels weak at work.

Hello Bonny welcome to the forum. Is your husband low carbing? My feeling is he isn't if he is feeling hungry. Could you give us and idea of his daily food intake, and what medicines he is on, we should be able to help more and properly if we have all the information.

For now, don't worry, what ever the problem is with hubby, someone on here will have been through it and know what to do.

Stay strong - Joanna.

bonny

He eats cereal or eggs for breakfast
soups or sandwich mostly cheese for lunch
home cooked meal of chicken with either pasta or rice.
For snacks he has nuts and raisins, fruit.
He is on Metformin only 2 x 500mg
Drinks alcohol liberally, like guinness.
He has the ocassional cake or biscuit but mostly Jacobs Crackers.

Defren

bonny said:

The eggs for breakfast are fine, tell him to add bacon and mushrooms as well, that will help fill him, the cereal is not good, and needs to go.

The sandwiches for lunch, hmm, that will depend on the bread, but I will lay odds if you look at the nutritional information on the back, the carbs are high. Most here who eat bread (I don't) eat Burgen soya and linseed as it is about the lowest carb. Ditch the white bread anyway, it's nasty stuff and will spike him. Cheese is absolutely fine.

The pasta and rice, not good, and I bet they are white as well. If he must have these, change to basmati rice and tri coloured pasta, I don't eat these either. His snacks are fine, apart from the fruit, most fruit is just concentrated sugar, but almost all of us can tolerate berries, strawberry's, raspberry's blueberry's etc.

The booze is also carby, a 330L bottle has 9g carbs. I certainly wouldn't stop him having a beer, but it needs to be in moderation, alcohol is empty calories and empty carbs, much better use the carbs on tasty food. The crackers also have to go, three crackers are 18g of carbs. So as you can see his carb intake is high, if he cut down the carbs, he wouldn't feel hungry, fat and protein are much more satiating than carbs and his BG figures would drop. The Metformin is only likely to drop him a point or so, it's a very safe drug, but doesn't do a lot really.

I'm sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but if hubby changes things around, he really will feel the difference, have much more energy and lose weight, it's really easy to lose weight on a low carb diet.

Good luck - Joanna.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
The main point in bonny's post in my opinion is the continuous loss of weight. It is not unusual to lose weight before diagnosis, in fact it is a good pointer. To continue to lose after some BG control as been achieved is not so common I am sure. Normally, I consider that her husband's generous diet (would be for me) should maintain level weight if not increase it slightly. I feel a visit to the doctor on the subject is called for.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bonny,
The first thought is to ask if he knows what his glucose levels are at the moment.
It may be that his weight loss is related to diabetes as this can lead to weight loss when the body hasn't enough insulin or is very resistant to it. However the weight loss maybe quite unrelated.

As BaliRob says he really should visit his doctor.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Defren said:
bonny said:

The eggs for breakfast are fine, tell him to add bacon and mushrooms as well, that will help fill him, the cereal is not good, and needs to go.

The sandwiches for lunch, hmm, that will depend on the bread, but I will lay odds if you look at the nutritional information on the back, the carbs are high. Most here who eat bread (I don't) eat Burgen soya and linseed as it is about the lowest carb. Ditch the white bread anyway, it's nasty stuff and will spike him. Cheese is absolutely fine.

The pasta and rice, not good, and I bet they are white as well. If he must have these, change to basmati rice and tri coloured pasta, I don't eat these either. His snacks are fine, apart from the fruit, most fruit is just concentrated sugar, but almost all of us can tolerate berries, strawberry's, raspberry's blueberry's etc.

The booze is also carby, a 330L bottle has 9g carbs. I certainly wouldn't stop him having a beer, but it needs to be in moderation, alcohol is empty calories and empty carbs, much better use the carbs on tasty food. The crackers also have to go, three crackers are 18g of carbs. So as you can see his carb intake is high, if he cut down the carbs, he wouldn't feel hungry, fat and protein are much more satiating than carbs and his BG figures would drop. The Metformin is only likely to drop him a point or so, it's a very safe drug, but doesn't do a lot really.

I'm sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but if hubby changes things around, he really will feel the difference, have much more energy and lose weight, it's really easy to lose weight on a low carb diet.

Good luck - Joanna.

Hi I just wanted to say that the posting is about losing too much weight Hubby is eating but appears to keep losing the weight. I was wondering if hubby has been diagnoised correctly or maybe there is an unlining medical condition ie over active thyroid, or not Type 2 :?: Any unintentional weight loss must be taken seriously and hubby should go and see his GP, just to be on the safe side to get proper medical advice. He definately should not be low carbing at this time. I hope the outcome is a positive one. Best wishes RRB

kayla1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Bonny, I too am a newly diagnosed Type 2 (Friday Jan 13th no kidding :shock: ) I lost 3 stone in four months. I thought it was because I was following a very strict low GI diet but then I started to eat normally and at times, even to excess, but the wieght still came off. My GP assured me that this would stop once my medication was sorted and so far it's true, I've even regained 7lbs

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bonny
from what you've written, your hubby is eating a fairly high carb diet. He might feel better on a low carb/ high fat diet.
Alternatively Are you 100% certain it's T2? Weightloss can be a symptom of T1 and T2 medications wouldn't work there either.
Hana

paragliderpete

Hi. You don't say what hubby does for work. Whilst as other have said Metformin doeas have a tendancy to make you loose wgt. Looking at the daily food intake, I does look low for someone with say an active job. It would be worth doing a calorie count to see if he is eating enough.
I have problems maintaining my wgt and have to seek out high fat high calorie foods, For example fatty meats, double cream instead of milk. High fat cheese. I do a very low carb diet, approx 20g per day, and do not feel hungry. For lunch try missing out the bread and packing plenty of cheese, cured meats and onions. Try strawberries and clotted cream for a snack . You could try a whey protien shake with his lunch, plenty of calories and next to no carbs.

I hope this helps. I've made a big assumption that he does expend a lot of energy at work.It may be thet he's using more energy than he's putting in

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told that marathon runners and road diggers can eat as much as they like but us couch potatoes are most at risk from diabetes. Maybe the strenuous nature of your hubby's job has brought a new dimension to this forum.

Has he tried raising the carbohydrate consumption on work days and doing the decent thing on couch days. It might take a bit of managing and if it does not work then you will have learned that .........it does not work. It costs nothing to try.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that before we all advise Bonny about her husbands diet it is very important that all health checks are undertaken by the GP .There are many other reasons for a person to lose weight besides DB .
CAROL

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr said:
Bonny
from what you've written, your hubby is eating a fairly high carb diet. He might feel better on a low carb/ high fat diet.
Alternatively Are you 100% certain it's T2? Weightloss can be a symptom of T1 and T2 medications wouldn't work there either.
Hana

This article is interesting on this matter...
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ar...oimmune-diabetes-in-adults-often-misdiagnosed

and this....
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444840104577553462450522098.html

Sorry if they have been posted before
Angie

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Bonny

You have been given a lot of eating advice about restricting carbs but as you have not mentioned what your hubby's blood glucose readings are I would hold fire on that advice. I can only agree that your Hubby's weght-loss needs to be looked at by your GP to confirm that there is no other problem that is causing it (more information at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/unexpl ... s/MY00713/ ). There is also the possibility that he has been misdiagnosed as Angie has mentioned and a c-peptide test would confirm that. Once you have a reason for the weight-loss then you can choose and follow an appropriate diet.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Doug

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Like your husband, I have also been losing weight slowly over quite a long period. I had a diabetic review earlier today, where they weighed me and told me that I have finally-put on 3.5kgs in 6 weeks. We discussed the weight gain and I was told that my weight loss has stopped as they now have much better control over my diabetes. I have been on M3 Insulin for 12 weeks and they plan to start phasing me off it in 4 weeks time and on to tablets. I will be quite happy if I lose no more and stay where I am now.

The weight loss is a big fear - I know. But I was told today it is quite common. Perhaps a chat with his Health Care Professional would help him.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like your husband, I have also been losing weight slowly over quite a long period. I had a diabetic review earlier today, where they weighed me and told me that I have finally-put on 3.5kgs in 6 weeks. We discussed the weight gain and I was told that my weight loss has stopped as they now have much better control over my diabetes. I have been on M3 Insulin for 12 weeks and they plan to start phasing me off it in 4 weeks time and on to tablets. I will be quite happy if I lose no more and stay where I am now.

The weight loss is a big fear - I know. But I was told today it is quite common. Perhaps a chat with his Health Care Professional would help him.
I suspect that @bonny has found a solution in the intervening 7 years.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More or less on this subject. I've been following a standard NHS diet plan from the Diabetic Nurse at the onset of T2 about 3 months ago. Can do the diet fine, was not over weight about 74Kg. Lost a fair amount of weight by having to cut out the foods that spike the 2hr BG test. Readings are good around 6 mmol/l on waking and being careful 2hr BG readings are in the high 7s or low 8s. Quite pleased really, but how do I stop loosing too much weight? Thanks

@mrjp welcome to the forum.

You’ve posted on a very old thread so it’s likely your question won’t be noticed by many people.

Would you like me to move your post to create a new thread? In that way you’ll likely get more responses. Just let me know by tagging me (Type the @sin followed by my username - Goonergal - as I’ve done with yours above. Or just tag one of the moderators.

mrjp

@mrjp welcome to the forum.

You’ve posted on a very old thread so it’s likely your question won’t be noticed by many people.

Would you like me to move your post to create a new thread? In that way you’ll likely get more responses. Just let me know by tagging me (Type the @sin followed by my username - Goonergal - as I’ve done with yours above. Or just tag one of the moderators.

Thanks for replying to me, not totally up with this terminology and how to do what you’ve suggested. Please move my post, that would be great thanks.