My new hip!!

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,just to let you know my second hip is fitted and working!! I wasn't as scared as I was when I had my first hip replaced 3monrhs ago although when I was told I could go home after only 7hours l was terrified,I could barely get to the toilet by myself.A nurse came to see me
and said if my check up was ok I was free to go!! There was no way I could get home at 7pm on a Saturday night after just having had a general anaesthetic and a hip replacement!
A sudden fear gripped me when all
of a sudden I was gently persuaded to go back to bed,apparently my blood pressure had dropped dangerously low.So there I was,a roller coaster of emotions rushing round my head.After a night of horrendous pain I was again told I could go home but this time an ambulance was taking me home. I'd phoned Darren and told him to expect me around lunchtime.Armed with my big bag of medication I made it home but Darren made sure I went straight to bed(boy was it good to see our spare bed all made up ready and waiting) I had my Zimmer frame to use and I wasn't embarrassed to use it as it was the only way to get me to the toilet!! It's been a long 5 weeks of agonising pain(what do you mean 5 DAYS????) well it feels like weeks lol. I've been eating ok but could do to eat more but I have just had an operation ! I've also been sick but it was the anaesthetic I think as I didn't make myself sick, I actually think I've got this eating disorder under control (or nearly!!!) I will never say never but I can hope this chapters over as the next one is about how to eat more when you need to lol !!!
It's been a very hard 4 months,what with the eating disorder, 2new hips and being diagnosed as type2 diabetic,also I have the fibromyalgia, chronic asthma,and my allergies to contend with,I'm also trying very hard to stop smoking at the moment.When I look back it's been a long,hard fight with myself but along with my partner Darren and you lovely people out there I feel very optimistic about my future.I'm still spending most of my time in bed as I'm in so much pain but I'll let you all know how I'm doing from time to time.
You must be bored of my posts now as I never have anything happy to write about !!!.My mums being well looked after by a team of nurses so I don't have her to worry about in fact I think she's enjoying all the new voices chatting to her ,even though she can't see them.In fact I feel awful saying this but I'm enjoying being in bed and waited on,I could get used to this lol. I know the pain will ease but it's terrible at the moment.I will speak to everyone again soon X X X X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on getting through it all!
There's some healing and discomfort and hassle yet to come (physio!) but it must be so liberating having 2 working hips. Well done. :)

Reactions: Jogreen21

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Know where your comin' from, Jo - as we speak, I'm laid up in hospital having had an arthroscopy of the right shoulder this am.....arm has been paralysed most of the day, but just coming back online now (so is the pain!!!:nailbiting:) but who said clouds don't have silver linings.....got done 1st on the list 'cos I'm T2.....when they did the pre-op BG test it came back 4.4 so a bit of a result!

Care here is very good, only moan is all I can have to eat is omelette & salad with tea or coffee (so only had 1 small meal today), everyone else is munching through bikkies, toast & jam or honey etc. etc. - menu is all very eatwell plate ( are you SURE you don't want a jacket spud, pasta, sandwich....look, it says "suitable for diabetics" etc. etc. etc...........)

But hey-ho, home tomorrow and back to LCHF again - my OH is bringing a couple of boiled eggs and a wiejska sausage in the morning for brekkie!

How long before you're back in action? I've got to wait 3 weeks until I can drive again. And it ain't gonna do my gym routine any good either! Anyway, all the best and hope you feel better soon.

But look on the bright side - in a couple of years, no one will be having conversations like this - 'cos there won't be any NHS left to treat anyone! :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,just to let you know my second hip is fitted and working!! I wasn't as scared as I was when I had my first hip replaced 3monrhs ago although when I was told I could go home after only 7hours l was terrified,I could barely get to the toilet by myself.A nurse came to see me
and said if my check up was ok I was free to go!! There was no way I could get home at 7pm on a Saturday night after just having had a general anaesthetic and a hip replacement!
of a sudden I was gently persuaded to go back to bed,apparently my blood pressure had dropped dangerously low.So there I was,a roller coaster of emotions rushing round my head.After a night of horrendous pain I was again told I could go home but this time an ambulance was taking me home. I'd phoned Darren and told him to expect me around lunchtime.Armed with my big bag of medication I made it home but Darren made sure I went straight to bed(boy was it good to see our spare bed all made up ready and waiting) I had my Zimmer frame to use and I wasn't embarrassed to use it as it was the only way to get me to the toilet!! It's been a long 5 weeks of agonising pain(what do you mean 5 DAYS????) well it feels like weeks lol. I've been eating ok but could do to eat more but I have just had an operation ! I've also been sick but it was the anaesthetic I think as I didn't make myself sick, I actually think I've got this eating disorder under control (or nearly!!!) I will never say never but I can hope this chapters over as the next one is about how to eat more when you need to lol !!!
It's been a very hard 4 months,what with the eating disorder, 2new hips and being diagnosed as type2 diabetic,also I have the fibromyalgia, chronic asthma,and my allergies to contend with,I'm also trying very hard to stop smoking at the moment.When I look back it's been a long,hard fight with myself but along with my partner Darren and you lovely people out there I feel very optimistic about my future.I'm still spending most of my time in bed as I'm in so much pain but I'll let you all know how I'm doing from time to time.
You must be bored of my posts now as I never have anything happy to write about !!!.My mums being well looked after by a team of nurses so I don't have her to worry about in fact I think she's enjoying all the new voices chatting to her ,even though she can't see them.In fact I feel awful saying this but I'm enjoying being in bed and waited on,I could get used to this lol. I know the pain will ease but it's terrible at the moment.I will speak to everyone again soon X X X X

Good to see you back, and reporting a brand, spanking new hip. I appreciate your in a lot of pain. You've had a big mechanical operation and your body is healing. and the pain will pass. Take heart from the fact you must have been doing well to be discharged so quickly.

Whilst I know you are very close to your Mum and you will be missing seeing each other, I think this situation, where you both have no other options, shows that a support mechanism can be put in place for your Mum. During your time recovering, I would urge you to keep at least some of that care package in place once you are recovered. Doing that long round trip, at a drop of a hat, is stressful in itself; meaning you are less liable to plan things ahead. It won't necessarily mean you see your Mum any less, but the times when you do see her will be less stressful and rushed. If your Mum is enjoying all the new voices, she may not mind you having a bit of respite at all.

Look after yourself and just concentrate on taking your meds, your exercise and feeding yourself as well as you can. I'm sure Darren is delighted to have you home; even if it means his domestic roles is expanded further.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Deespee23
I too was first on the list for surgery but didn't realise Type2 got you 1st place!!!
I hope you're feeling better.Its gonna be another 2 weeks before I can drive again as one weeks nearly passed and they say 3weeks minimum.I was so surprised they sent me home early the day after the operation,they'd have sent me same day but my blood pressure dropped seriously low(thank god) I couldn't even walk to the bloody toilet X X x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@AndBreathe
To be honest I'm enjoying the rest,I've been catching up on my reading and discovering new daytime tv programmes! I know mums being looked after and I couldn't get there even if I wanted to!! I realise now that there is help out there,she is enjoying new people around her so I'm definitely going to look into getting some regular help each day and also going into a nursing home every so often for respite care. X X X X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe
To be honest I'm enjoying the rest,I've been catching up on my reading and discovering new daytime tv programmes! I know mums being looked after and I couldn't get there even if I wanted to!! I realise now that there is help out there,she is enjoying new people around her so I'm definitely going to look into getting some regular help each day and also going into a nursing home every so often for respite care. X X X X

Jo, if your Mum enjoys the company, perhaps investigate Age UK for help. I used to have an aged neighbour who became unable to get out and about; really just with age, and she used to be picked up by Age UK, one day a week, late morning, and return again mid/late afternoon, having had lunch, several cups of tea and a jolly good natter.

After a while, she asked her sons if they would mind if she went into a nursing home, because she wanted a better social life. She lived quite a number of weeks longer and her sons said she was much brighter in herself.

Glad to hear you so up-beat though.

dipsydo

I am seriously impressed that you were able to go home after a day, I was in for 2 and half days and thought I had done well. Yes the anesthetic /meds probably made you sick, it can be the meds if particularly they are morphine based . I did not start driving until 5 weeks and I did tell my insurance company as it was less than the normal 6 weeks which is recommended by some medical sources - my surgeon had said I could drive when I felt comfortable, the physio said do not go in car until 6 weeks! So I went with my surgeons view. I was off all painkillers(apart from the occasional paracetemol ) as being on heavy duty painkillers can be the other issue about driving,
You might also find that your HbA1c is higher than you expect if you have one within 3 months of the operation as your body can respond to the stress,
Looking forward having had your hips replaced hopefully you will find life is so much better pain free from that source. I wish you a good recovery

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - back home now, nothing like being sore in yr own home...cats missed me (!) they have been very affectionate all day.

Jo - how is the hip doing? Love to you & yr mum - keep on getting better.

All the best....

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

welcome back here, good to know the hip replacement went well.... now remember to get out of the bed as is also prevents blood cloothing to get out and move a bit even though one doesn´t like it...just a little a few times a day.. send you my love