My newbie story so far

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing LCHF for about 3 weeks, the first week I just cut out all the usual culprits, rice, potato etc. Then I bought "The 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book" by Clare Bailey and for the last 2 weeks I've been following that religiously.

10 days ago I got my Tee2 monitor. My fbg was 9.3. (It was 13.1 on diagnosis) Before and after evening meal it was 8.5 and 11.9.

I have been exercising like mad, 10,000 steps just about every day and 3 classes at the gym last week.

Last night before dinner my reading was 5.6. Dinner was mackerel and mushroom frittata and two hours after it was 7.2 :)
This morning it was 7.9, the lowest morning reading I've had (but I know the evening ones are more important)

I know this doesn't mean the battle is won but I do feel like I'm achieving something now. I've learned that I can't have a poor innocuous yoghurt (I didn't realise there were so many carbs in that little pot), and that I love avocado!

This is with no medication and no intervention by HCPs (I see the DN for the first time on Friday) but many many thanks to the forumites who've given me help and advice. You're all brilliant :angelic:

D

Deleted member 371625

Congratulations for what you have achieved so far. Progression of this illness is not inevitable. For many people, sensible lifestyle and dietary changes can keep it well under control.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You will find all those "low fat" products at the supermarket are usually loaded with carbs. In my experience it is better to go for the full fat option.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a full fat Greek yoghurt with some desiccated coconut, see how it changes your blood glucose levels.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the other important thing with yoghurt is we are talking plain yoghurt. Now low fat plain yoghurt tastes, well, not very nice. But the full fat plain is good.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at the full fat plain yoghurts in the supermarket yesterday and thought "nah, I'll just do without" :(

Reactions: bulkbiker