my recent average

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I was wondering if a daily average glucose works out at 7.45 on my calculator what do I do with that does that make it 7.5 ?

Sorry I'm terrible with numbers lol

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

It's good to see that you're working out daily averages for yourself. It's a good way to check up on your control.

Does your testing machine have on it a function that'll tell you your average? I know that there are some on the market that do tell you what your average is itself.

In answer to your question though, yes, that makes it 7.5 as your average. Rounding laws in maths hold that if the smallest digit is 5 or above, you round up, and if it is 4 or below, you round down. Example 7.44=7.4 and 7.45=7.5.

I hope this was useful to you!

Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes that's wonderful thank you ! I don think it has an average thing I better check I only got it last week never though to check lol

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's wonderful thank you ! I don think it has an average thing I better check I only got it last week never though to check lol

It will have, they mostly all have daily, weekly, 30 day and 90 day averages. Failing that, there are many apps that you can enter daily reading into that will chart and average your numbers for you.

There is also a calculator on this website that will convert your average into a fairly good indicator of the equivalent hba1c result. 7.5 equates to an hba1c of around 6.3%.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will have, they mostly all have daily, weekly, 30 day and 90 day averages. Failing that, there are many apps that you can enter daily reading into that will chart and average your numbers for you.

There is also a calculator on this website that will convert your average into a fairly good indicator of the equivalent hba1c result. 7.5 equates to an hba1c of around 6.3%.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Converting from HbA1c to average blood glucose is ok but I can't see how it can work the other way round unless you are metering continuously. The meter or a calculator only averages the values at the time you test so ignores the long periods of time in between.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Converting from HbA1c to average blood glucose is ok but I can't see how it can work the other way round unless you are metering continuously. The meter or a calculator only averages the values at the time you test so ignores the long periods of time in between.

From what I've seen, if you're metering every morning, before meals and at 1 and 2 hours and at bed time, the average is extremely close to hba1c over time.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The more times you measure the more accurate the average is going to be, but how many type 2's measure the 10 times a day in your example?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The more times you measure the more accurate the average is going to be, but how many type 2's measure the 10 times a day in your example?

Plenty do. Plenty don't. Better control is afforded if you do, that it indisputable as is the comparison to hba1c based on averages.

There are many people here who go for hba1c and receive no shock due to constant monitoring and tight control.

Ultimately, it depends on your financial circumstances and how seriously you take your condition I suppose.

Those who were diagnosed with a high hba1c and then manage to lower to non diabetic levels and maintain it did not get there by not testing.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If a number is 11.3 at 1 hour and 8.3 at 2 hour should that food be avoided