My rights after quitting

W

WithoutSugar

Hello!

I quited a couple of jobs and it's now that I learned I should be given my holiday pay when I left!

I threatened them and they issued me a check.

Can you tell me please what else could I be entitled to after quiting?

Holiday pay? Pension? What else?

I didn't have a particular contract saying all these, but rather a simple email saying I was hired, that's all.

thanks!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how you quit, if you quit without notice the employer could claim against you for breach of contract. Although from what you say a formal written contract is not in exist. How long had you work for these organisations? If you where in a pension scheme then contributions should be paid up until the date you left, or if pay was made in lieu of notice, until that date. You cannot get a refund of pension contributions in normal circumstances

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long were you employed for?

Besides paying you, I'm not sure what else you would usually get from an employer when working for them so I can't really see why quitting would get you anything more than payment for work done, pro rata holiday pay for holiday not taken and pension contributions until the date you leave.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's difficult without a contract where you could see your rights laid out. For example, were you employed on some kind of trial basis? Do you know other workers in the same position so you have an idea of what holiday/holiday pay they get?

It might be worth contacting the CAB for advice if you're uncertain.

If it was me, the first thing I'd do is write a polite letter to your former employers stating what you believe to be your entitlements. Their reply (presuming they don't agree to pay) may inform your way forward.

If you already have a cheque from one or both of them, then that might be all your entitled to.

The usual things you get are any wages owed to you and possibly holiday pay.

If you paid into a pension scheme, you can contact them for details of your contributions.