My Story

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
For anyone that's interested, here is how things have went for me. I hope that my story can bring a little hope to some newbies, as I can remember very recently thinking that this was an awful diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with T2 early this year. Over Christmas and New Year period 2010 I knew there was something not right.
Very thirsty all the time. All I would drink was water, as it was the only thing that I could get enough of to quench my thirst. I was hiding in my mate's kitchen drinking glass after glass of the stuff hoping no one would notice.
I started suddenly going to the toilet all of the time. I went from never once waking during the night for the toilet to going twice per night, every night.
I kinda put this down to being Christmas and loads of sweet goodies , alcohol and turkey sandwiches. Nearly the end of January I was still getting symptoms and suddenly notice I had dropped 1.5 Stone without trying. Headed off to doctor and asked for a diabetes test.

The doctor was surprised that I just came in and asked for a test rather than realed off the symptoms. Told her what I had been experiencing and why I wanted a test. She tested me and found my BG to be over 27 mmol/l. Off to hospital with me the following day! They did some tests and sent me away a few hours later, completely bewildered.

I decided to immediately change my life. I ignored all the advice I was getting about "one thing at a time" and such like and decided just to go for it. I immediately cut out all fast food, sweets/sugary things, sugar in my coffee, white bread... all the obvious things. I joined a gym and started a regular exercise regime (pleased to say I have stuck to it). I stopped smoking in February and have not had one since.

Results? Can't believe the result. I've slowly lost nearly a stone now, had to buy a new built and a load of new clothes as I lost around 6 inches round my waist. My hba1c results have dropped steadily (see signature). My BP and cholestoral has improved at each diabetic clinic checkup.

All in all, I can say (and given that I felt it was one of the worst possible things to happen to me, a bit strange to be saying this) that at this point in my life, a diabetes diagnosis has changed my life for the better.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
You really have a lot of willpower and are doing so well. I hope it continues to go as well as it is now. Well done :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
daisy1 said:
You really have a lot of willpower and are doing so well. I hope it continues to go as well as it is now. Well done :)

Thanks for your nice wishes :)

That's the thing though, I am awful with willpower. I've just taken it as a kick, embraced the changes and actually enjoyed them.

I love going to the gym, I love the new foods that I am finding, I love being able to breath easier through not smoking...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fencer, what an absolutely brilliant story. Go you! I agree with you, Diabetes has changed my life too, the best thing that could have happened.

Keep on rocking.

wiflib

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Well done, Fencer!

Same for me too - best thing that ever happened to me! Diabetes has been the kick up the a*** I really needed. I'm becoming a new and healthier person.

Viv 8)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
A great story to read, these are the ones i love to read the best!

Also a great way to inherit yourself a snazzy new wardrobe too :wink:

It's an inspiring attitude to have towards diabetes, even though it's technically an illness it's enabled you to kick some *ss and get healthier!!

I haven't got round to the quitting smoking thing yet, but it is underway to become my next goal!!

well done :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Thanks all :) I am proud of myself, but I've had a lot of help along the way. My fitness classes instructor, the brilliant diabeties clinic at my surgery, the hospital in the early days and of course this forum! I hope my thread inspires someone (or maybe even myself in the future). :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, Fantastic story and great results and so you should be so proud, its wonderful acheivement for you. Yes these posts and storys will inspire and encourage others along its uplifting to read them and I hope we get many more too. I alone will love to read them and learn from them too. Much love and thoughts. Anna.x :D