My worst fear

Blink1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hello everybody,

I am a hypochondriac. As far as I can tell, I am not reactive hypoglycemic, but I am terrified of the possibility of maybe having it.

This all started about a year ago when I would feel a sensation in my head - a kind of cloudiness - after breakfast. I don't know how or why but that sent me into having panic attacks fearing that I wasn't experiencing low blood sugar. My breakfast every morning was almost always two eggs and a slice of toast (bread was on the thin side) with butter.

This went on for months and then I decided to get a glucometer. Against all of my (irrational) odds, it showed no signs of hypoglycemica.

I went on using the monitor for a long time. It started with me using only maybe 3 or 4 test strips a day to about 50 or so a day after having one reading at 64. (I was at the grocery store and tested in the restroom at 73 or so and had half of a granola bar just in case because I was scared of having a low. My stomach started feeling upset so I went to the car and tested again - 64. Tested about a minute later - 74 or so. I'm still unsure if that 64 was a fluke because I had just washed my hands and it wasn't a small sample size.)

Anyways. I rarely use test strips now and am now on a low dose antidepressant for a diagnosed panic disorder. I also show OCD tendencies with my low blood sugar fears.

I can eat dinner and then go for five or six hours without eating anything then go to bed feeling fine without having a snack. I might get an upset stomach from being hungry but the lowest I've tested during an upset stomach (other than the 64) has been in the low to mid 70s. Is this proof of hypoglycemia or simply just hunger pains?

Basically I just want to ask because for some reason it would just help to know: How are your sleeping patterns?

I tend to sleep through the night, usually have dreams but never nightmares. Sometimes bad dreams. It is rare that I wake up in the night. As far as I know, if I really were reactive hypoglycemic, I would be waking up during the night or having insomnia, nightmares, night sweats, etc.

Is this true?

Thank you all so much for your time reading this. It is so very appreciated.

I should also include that I can have ice cream, cereal, pasta, etc. without going low as most textbook RHers do. While my fear still inhabits me I just can't figure out if I have it or not. Almost all signs point to no, but my hypochondria keeps yelling yes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Blink1

I've read your post carefully, and (as I understand it) your reading of 64 equates to approx 3.5mmol/l.
For people who are not on glucose lowering drugs such as insulin, the mid 3s are perfectly normal, so nothing in your post suggests reactive hypoglycaemia to me.

Clearly, with your level of anxiety about RH, you are unlikely to find that particularly reassuring, but in my experience RH is very different from how you describe the 'kind of cloudiness' that triggered your concerns.

It does sound as if your concerns need addressing though, because they are affecting your life. Please see a medical professional and discuss them fully. They may conduct further testing or refer you to someone to discuss your emotional state, both of which will hopefully help you to move out of this state of anxiety.

From my perspective (with no medical qualifications) it sounds as if the root cause of your distress is fear and worry, and your concerns about RH are just an expression of a deeper issue. If you could address that, then you would feel better all round, and RH may cease to worry you.

I hope you are successful in this and urge you to pursue that route rather than focusing on RH.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Blink1 :)

I think,you've answered your own question really. I'm not a medical professional but I know that anxiety, far from being a mild thing, can sometimes cause physical effects and definitely impact on a person's life.

Nothing you've said suggests you have RH. Blood sugar in the 70s is normal.

I agree with @Brunneria that getting help and support with your anxiety would help you enormously. I know you've already said you're on some medication, but there are a number of other non-medication options that can help with anxiety. Keep pushing to get the help you need somthat you can have peace of mind and move on with your life free from unfounded fears.

Wishing you the best :)

Reactions: ickihun

Blink1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Blink1

I've read your post carefully, and (as I understand it) your reading of 64 equates to approx 3.5mmol/l.
For people who are not on glucose lowering drugs such as insulin, the mid 3s are perfectly normal, so nothing in your post suggests reactive hypoglycaemia to me.

Clearly, with your level of anxiety about RH, you are unlikely to find that particularly reassuring, but in my experience RH is very different from how you describe the 'kind of cloudiness' that triggered your concerns.

It does sound as if your concerns need addressing though, because they are affecting your life. Please see a medical professional and discuss them fully. They may conduct further testing or refer you to someone to discuss your emotional state, both of which will hopefully help you to move out of this state of anxiety.

From my perspective (with no medical qualifications) it sounds as if the root cause of your distress is fear and worry, and your concerns about RH are just an expression of a deeper issue. If you could address that, then you would feel better all round, and RH may cease to worry you.

I hope you are successful in this and urge you to pursue that route rather than focusing on RH.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful answer! I am currently in therapy for my hypochondria and it has helped quite a bit. It's just the last few bits of RH still clinging to me. Your post was very helpful. Thank you again!

Hi @Blink1 :)

I think,you've answered your own question really. I'm not a medical professional but I know that anxiety, far from being a mild thing, can sometimes cause physical effects and definitely impact on a person's life.

Nothing you've said suggests you have RH. Blood sugar in the 70s is normal.

I agree with @Brunneria that getting help and support with your anxiety would help you enormously. I know you've already said you're on some medication, but there are a number of other non-medication options that can help with anxiety. Keep pushing to get the help you need somthat you can have peace of mind and move on with your life free from unfounded fears.

Wishing you the best :)

Thank you for this! I certainly do somasticise my anxiety and it's caused a lot of unneeded issues. My therapist has been helpful in supporting my efforts to stop somasticising and it has helped tremendously.

Reactions: Brunneria