Naproxen, have you been prescribed it?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I went back to the Dr yesterday as my sciatica flared up at the last wedding and I couldn't even walk let alone ceilidh dance and I didn't want the same to happen when we head to Oslo. The Dr gave me Naproxen 500mg x 2 daily. At work folk have said that the side effects can be awful. I had 1 tablet yesterday and 1 today, so far so good.

Lily76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I took Naproxen for a suspected infection in my parotid gland. It cleared up quickly and I had no unpleasant side effects from the Naproxen. I should say I wasn't taking any other tablets at the time. Also, I wasn't measuring my blood glucose so I can't say what effect it had on that if you wanted to know.

Get well soon :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken it in my pre-diabetic days for my arthritis. I managed to take it for about two weeks before I got heartburn which had happened to me with other NSAIDs. Shame as it was working well for my arthritis. I guess you know it needs to be taken with food, but even that didn't help me in the end :(

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been taking Naproxen for years without problems. Did the doc tell you to take it on a full stomach or prescribe Lanzoprazole to protect your stomach as it can, with long term use, cause ulceration? Gabapentin is better for sciatica imo.

Reactions: ickihun

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@berylc . Never had any side affects with Naproxen other than a slight raise in BS, which in all honesty could have been down to body's reaction to pain, which is why I was taking the Naproxen.
See how it goes and if you obviously feel something isn't right then stop the tablets.
Hope you'll be pain free soon.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I went back to the Dr yesterday as my sciatica flared up at the last wedding and I couldn't even walk let alone ceilidh dance and I didn't want the same to happen when we head to Oslo. The Dr gave me Naproxen 500mg x 2 daily. At work folk have said that the side effects can be awful. I had 1 tablet yesterday and 1 today, so far so good.
I had no problems with naproxen but gp stopped mine and changed it to codeine then tramadol. I have no problems with tramadol. Codeine blocked me up.
I understand cardiologist don't like naproxen. There was a warning on tv about over 65yr olds at risk of heart attacks/strokes on naproxen. GPs are aware.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have taken it in my pre-diabetic days for my arthritis. I managed to take it for about two weeks before I got heartburn which had happened to me with other NSAIDs. Shame as it was working well for my arthritis. I guess you know it needs to be taken with food, but even that didn't help me in the end :(
May be you could have naproxen in future but with lansoprozol. Lansoprozol is very very good. My acid reflux is hugely better on it. I was given it initially for aspirin. Still on it for acid reflux and saving nhs from expensive not as good gaviston.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I took it this morning after egg and bacon breakfast. Will be very careful NOT to take it on an empty stomach.

Reactions: ickihun and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May be you could have naproxen in future but with lansoprozol. Lansoprozol is very very good. My acid reflux is hugely better on it. I was given it initially for aspirin. Still on it for acid reflux and saving nhs from expensive not as good gaviston.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I am on Esomeprazole (similar to Lanzoprazole) anyway for gastric reflux, even on double my usual dose I couldn't tolerate Naproxen :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for your suggestion, but I am on Esomeprazole (similar to Lanzoprazole) anyway for gastric reflux, even on double my usual dose I couldn't tolerate Naproxen :(
Oh sorry. Sounds like whatever nsaid you are on works for you. :)

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been said already but just to reiterate , it's vital to take Naproxen with a PPI like Lansoprazole. My Dad's GP "forgot" to prescribe them both together and he had a massive bleed out. He survived thankfully, but it was an unnecessary fright for all concerned.