National Police Diabetic Association

markielew

Hi there everyone,
I am the Vice-Chair of the National Police Diabetic Association (NPDA) and responsible for internal and external communications within our organisation.We exist to advise and support anyone employed by a police service in the UK, as well as advising and supporting the senior managers within the various police forces in relation to diabetes. We have members who are police officers, PCSO's and support staff who are either diagnosed or have a relative, friend, loved one or work colleague who has been diagnosed with diabetes. We also engage with medical advisors within the police and externally, both in general and on individual cases regarding our members and policies. We provide advice and support for people wishing to join a police service and put them in touch with members who have been through the process already in order to assist them in passing the various processes along the employment route.
I have seen some posts on these forums relating to police issues such as driving or employment within the police service. I don't intend to comment on past threads but as I have joined this forum now, I am happy to advise members on police related issues. I won't be drawn into political debates about policing operations etc but other than that, I'm happy to provide comment and advice for anyone wishing to join the police service in any capacity.
Our website (http://www.npda.org.uk) contains news and information relating to diabetes and there is also a members section with message boards and other information restricted to those employed by a police service.
I can be contacted either through this forum or through the NPDA website if anyone wishes to discuss a career in the police service.
Kind regards
Mark Lewis

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Thank you Mark and welcome to the forum.

Regards, Tubs.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya mark,
welcome to the forum :D

Katharine

Hi Mark,

We have had a good few ding dongs about what the police will have and will not when it comes to diabetes and the force. Hopefully you can sort out any queries.

The most popular are:

Can a type one diabetic join the police force as a serving officer?

If a serving police officer has to go on insulin (new type one, LADA or type two) what effects does this have on their job?

Is any special arrangements made for type ones on request? Eg shifts, meals, driving.

markielew

Katharine.
Each of the 43 police forces across England and Wales and the 8 forces in Scotland vary in their dealings with the issues of diabetes.
Let me explain what happens within the Metropolitan Police Service, covering London. We have employed many insulin dependant recruits, they must demonstrate good control of their blood glucose levels over a protracted period of time (usually 12 months). Their health is reviewed by the chief medical officer and independant diabetologists. If it all looks good, the person is employed as a police officer.
I know this to be the same in Essex and many other forces across the country.
The problem is, the DVLA have made a specific recommendation that insulin dependant diabetics (IDD's) should not drive emergency vehicles. The MPS do not hold with this view and (as is decreed by the Disability Discrimination Act) treat every individual according to their needs. Each person is reviewd individually. Therefore, an IDD with good blood glucose control would be allowed to undergo driver training to allow them to drive police vehicles on blue lights and sirens. A minority of forces stick to the DVLA guidelines and therefore they are refusing to recruit people who are IDD on the basis that they would never be able to drive policice vehicles in emergency response. Obviously some force areas are much more rural than others and a vehicle is essential to get around. The NPDA support these individuals and liaise with the various forces wherever possible, not harassing them but pointing out best practice from other forces as examples of how it will work.
I think that covers the first issue of recruiting IDD staff. Type 2 diabetes is similar only there should never be a ban on driving vehicles. If the condition does not require notification to DVLA then there could be no reason to refuse the officer a driving course. Unfortunately as you probably all know, the DVLA won't let IDD's drive minibuses and this is true for police officers as well. An IDD officer could drive a powerful BMW car on blue lights but not be allowed to drive the carriers (riot buses as they are known to most people!).

Moving on to officers who are diagnosed IDD post recruitment. I would not like to generalise, but there is often a catastophic event that culminates in a hospital stay and then a diagnosis of IDD. The officer will be placed on restricted duties until they have learned to manage their condition and their blood glucose levels have stabilised. They will usually have their driving license suspended by DVLA and therefore obviously be unable to drive police vehicles. Police services across the UK have good Occupational Health Advisors who should assist the officer in a safe return to work (although primary responsibility for care remains that of the individuals own GP or diabetic advisor).
Your third point regarding special arrangements is an interesting one. The DDA states that an employer must make 'reasonable adjustments' for an individual with any disability (obviously IDD falls into that category). Officers should be given time to take refreshments and must test their blood prior to driving a police vehicle. Some officers work extended periods of duty (10 or 12 hours at a time) and must be given time to eat. The issue of shifts is complex. Most diabetic officers do not want to be treated any differently and as long as there are no medical complications, most IDD officers should be able to cope with shift work with no detrimental effect to their health (other than the usual constant tiredness and confusion caused by lengthy periods of duty and regular changes from day to night work).
I know this has been a lengthy reply but I hope it demonstrates that a police career is easily attainable for an IDD person in many parts of the UK. My own Chief Medical Officer has made it absolutely clear that there is no role within the MPS that she would not consider suitable for a well controlled IDD officer. I have members from across the UK who are diabetic and are still advanced police drivers, firearms officers, air observers on police helicopters (CAA Licensed), licensed to abseil and work at heights with rope access to name just a few.
Kind regards
Mark

Katharine

Mark,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I am a police surgeon (FME) in Strathclyde and I know NO type one officers at all.

We have had people at each other's throats about the issues I raised with you and it is nice to see that both sides were correct (as far as they knew).

As a summary, it sounds like there is no "blanket ban" on being a police officer if you have type one but everything will be assessed individually.

markielew

Katharine,
Thanks for your reply.
Your summary is only correct as a generalisation. A minority of forces would appear to ban all IDD officers from joining as police officers. I won't name the forces, but one large metropolitan force is refusing to employ a civilian member of staff as a police officer because they have concerns about IDD officers driving.
As far as your own force is concerned, we currently have seven members, two police officers are type 1 and another is type 2 but insulin dependant. Your Chief Constable Steve House is an innovative and forward thinking leader and therefore those officers are treated very well. Your head of media, Ch Insp Murray has also been very helpful in raising the profile of the NPDA.
Kind regards
Mark

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
excellent posts!!

Thanks Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

I wanted to join the police force but gave up the idea when i was diagnosed because i didn't think type 1 diabetics could drive in the police force... The only area i was really interested in was the traffic police and emercency response driving!

Maybe it is a future option after all.

How are insulin pumps seen in the police force?

markielew

Stu,
As long as you are fit and have good blood sugar control, there is no reason why you should not be employed as a police officer.
Traffic patrol duty is a little more complicated. Almost all traffic officers are advanced drivers across the UK and convincing a medical officer that you are fit to undertake pursuit driver training is quite difficult. I don't actually know how many advanced drivers we have in the UK who are insulin dependant, but I have emailed every NPDA member for information. Maybe within a few months I will have a clearer picture of this area (depending on the percentage of replies I get!).
Insulin pumps is another area that I have posted requests on our own message board for further info. I currently have a medical advisor in the Met Police who wants to recruit an officer who uses a pump. The medical officer has asked me if we have other officers who are operational whilst using a pump. Once I know the answer to this I will post info on this thread.
Kind regards
Mark

C

catherinecherub

Hi squirrel,
The originator of this thread has left some contact details on their posting . Try emailing or leaving a private message as it does seem to vary from area to area.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

markielew

I'm aware of three IDD police officers in Tayside. One is type 2 on insulin and the others are type 1. Two are PC's and the third is a Chief Inspector which shows diabetes is no bar to joining OR progressing.
As long as your blood glucose control is good, you should have no problems. Go for it.
Kind regards
Mark Lewis

squirrel

Hi, i also have high blood pressure, diagnosed at 17 but doctors reckon i have always had this, would this throw a spanner in the works? its well controlled with meds. Been type 2 since i was thrirty now thirty three.

markielew

If your hypertension is well controlled with meds, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Speak with your own GP and if necessary, call the Occupational Health department of Tayside Police and speak with them about your condition. They will be able to tell you if they will accept an application from you. It really depends on how well controlled your high blood pressure and diabetes are.
Good luck.
Kind regards
Mark lewis

BoomBoom Sion

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Katharine.
Each of the 43 police forces across England and Wales and the 8 forces in Scotland vary in their dealings with the issues of diabetes.
Let me explain what happens within the Metropolitan Police Service, covering London. We have employed many insulin dependant recruits, they must demonstrate good control of their blood glucose levels over a protracted period of time (usually 12 months). Their health is reviewed by the chief medical officer and independant diabetologists. If it all looks good, the person is employed as a police officer.
I know this to be the same in Essex and many other forces across the country.
The problem is, the DVLA have made a specific recommendation that insulin dependant diabetics (IDD's) should not drive emergency vehicles. The MPS do not hold with this view and (as is decreed by the Disability Discrimination Act) treat every individual according to their needs. Each person is reviewd individually. Therefore, an IDD with good blood glucose control would be allowed to undergo driver training to allow them to drive police vehicles on blue lights and sirens. A minority of forces stick to the DVLA guidelines and therefore they are refusing to recruit people who are IDD on the basis that they would never be able to drive policice vehicles in emergency response. Obviously some force areas are much more rural than others and a vehicle is essential to get around. The NPDA support these individuals and liaise with the various forces wherever possible, not harassing them but pointing out best practice from other forces as examples of how it will work.
I think that covers the first issue of recruiting IDD staff. Type 2 diabetes is similar only there should never be a ban on driving vehicles. If the condition does not require notification to DVLA then there could be no reason to refuse the officer a driving course. Unfortunately as you probably all know, the DVLA won't let IDD's drive minibuses and this is true for police officers as well. An IDD officer could drive a powerful BMW car on blue lights but not be allowed to drive the carriers (riot buses as they are known to most people!).

Moving on to officers who are diagnosed IDD post recruitment. I would not like to generalise, but there is often a catastophic event that culminates in a hospital stay and then a diagnosis of IDD. The officer will be placed on restricted duties until they have learned to manage their condition and their blood glucose levels have stabilised. They will usually have their driving license suspended by DVLA and therefore obviously be unable to drive police vehicles. Police services across the UK have good Occupational Health Advisors who should assist the officer in a safe return to work (although primary responsibility for care remains that of the individuals own GP or diabetic advisor).
Your third point regarding special arrangements is an interesting one. The DDA states that an employer must make 'reasonable adjustments' for an individual with any disability (obviously IDD falls into that category). Officers should be given time to take refreshments and must test their blood prior to driving a police vehicle. Some officers work extended periods of duty (10 or 12 hours at a time) and must be given time to eat. The issue of shifts is complex. Most diabetic officers do not want to be treated any differently and as long as there are no medical complications, most IDD officers should be able to cope with shift work with no detrimental effect to their health (other than the usual constant tiredness and confusion caused by lengthy periods of duty and regular changes from day to night work).
I know this has been a lengthy reply but I hope it demonstrates that a police career is easily attainable for an IDD person in many parts of the UK. My own Chief Medical Officer has made it absolutely clear that there is no role within the MPS that she would not consider suitable for a well controlled IDD officer. I have members from across the UK who are diabetic and are still advanced police drivers, firearms officers, air observers on police helicopters (CAA Licensed), licensed to abseil and work at heights with rope access to name just a few.
Kind regards
Mark

You mention that DVLA has made recommendations that IDD do not drive emergency vehicles. This is not correct as an IDD who works in DVLA assessing medical conditions who is also interested in joining the police I am aware of restrictions that IDD have.
Driving emergency vehicles is not one, there a re stricter standards for PCV and HGV drivers but the context in which the vehicles are used has no relevance to DVLA. If the medical standards are able to be met the individual can drive which ever vehicle they want. This may be a choice byt the individual force to not allow IDD to drive emergency vehicles.

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm type 1 and drive emergency vehicles under blue light conditions and am EFAD trained. I also hold LGV license. Bit of a pain to keep them but if you manage your diabetes well and can prove it, it can be done.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

TommyleeMoyes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Mark,

So glad I found this post. I'm due my DVLA Diabetic appointment via Zoom on Tuesday and I'm told its to check my glucose readings, my average is around 13.6mmol but very rarely ever drops to Low levels. Would this be acceptable or do you feel it would be considered no good for me to continue with my training?

Regards
Tommylee

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Mark,

So glad I found this post. I'm due my DVLA Diabetic appointment via Zoom on Tuesday and I'm told its to check my glucose readings, my average is around 13.6mmol but very rarely ever drops to Low levels. Would this be acceptable or do you feel it would be considered no good for me to continue with my training?

Regards
Tommylee

Do note that the person you are replying to last posted in this thread 12 years ago and looks to have not even logged on since around then so I suspect it's unlikely they will see this query.
It may be worth you creating your own thread, or getting a mod to move your post to its own thread.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello Mark,

Regards
Tommylee

Hi Tommy, as @Rokaab stated we can create a new thread and move your post for you or you can do it yourself if you prefer.

This is a very old thread and I just clicked on the link for National Police Diabetic Association and it doesn't seem to be working any more. In fact, the boffins at Google can't even find the NPDA! - maybe it's been disbanded?

Edited to add:- this from the website of Essex Police
https://www.essex.police.uk/police-.../ca/careers/police-officers/police-constable/

Last edited: