pepper = 60 cals and 14 carbs
100 grms green beans = 29 cals and 3.2 carbs
150 grms bean sprouts = 55 cals and 6 carbs
1 stock cube = 30 cals and 3 carbs
250 grms alpro and 50grms raspberries = 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
so that's 586 calories and 53.6 grames of carbs

murph524

Hi, the NUTRIENT list sounds OK

The question I have been asking are what are the INGREDIENTS upon which those nutrients are based? An ingredient would be something like powdered whey protein, dehydrated lima beans, beet sugar, sodium lactate, salt, ground sea shells, mustard, oregano, etc.
is this it?
Fructose , Milk Protein , Inulin , Whey Powder (from Milk) , Soybean Oil , Maltodextrin , Thickeners (Xanthan Gum, Carboxy Methyl Cellulose) , Potassium Citrate , Magnesium Carbonates , Ferric Phosphate , Zinc Oxide , Manganese Sulphate , Cupric Carbonate , Potassium Iodide , Sodium Selenate , Flavourings , Colour

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I actually found the ingredientss of ONE of these, i.e. Strawberry flavor. I remembered looking something like this up before and being kind of appalled at what it contains. I am going to put in bold the ingredients that I personally would not injest

Ingredients
Fructose , Milk Protein , Inulin , Whey Powder (from Milk) , Soybean Oil , Maltodextrin , Thickeners (Xanthan Gum, Carboxy Methyl Cellulose) , Potassium Citrate , Magnesium Carbonates , Ferric Phosphate , Zinc Oxide , Manganese Sulphate , Cupric Carbonate , Potassium Iodide , Sodium Selenate , Flavourings , Colour (Beetroot Red) , Salt , Ascorbic Acid , Nicotinamide , Vitamin E , Pantothenic Acid (B5) , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Riboflavin (B2) , Vitamin A , Thiamin (B1) , Folic Acid (B9) , Biotin (B7) , Vitamin B12 , Vitamin D3 , Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithins, Lecithins) , Sweetener (Sucralose) , Antioxidants (Ascorbyl Palmitate, Alpha-Tocopherol) .

Basically, nothing in the form of flavorings goes in without me knowing what they are, I don't need or want garbage vitamins in a powdered frink instead of good ones, I am avoiding soy products, especially GMO varieties of the same, and will never take sucralose as it has been shown to cause depression as a side effect in especially women in an NIH test. All that and something I am allergic to besides
Me neither.
FRUCTOSE?! as the first listed ingredient. For diabetics. who are obese. OMG
I can see the convenience if you can cope with this stuff, but after a week of that I would be as sick as a dog, and have systemic inflammation besides.
I have real doubts about the Newcastle Diet, and whether it works for the reasons the researchers think it works.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, well, we all have to find our own way through, eh @murph524 .

I applaud you for continuing in your mission, despite negativity of some posts.

Reactions: marathonmona

murph524

Thanks, everyone has their own opinion in the way they see things, Iv'e been eating **** for a long time so I don't think 8 weeks will make much difference.

Reactions: ziggy_w

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi, @murph524
Well done, recognising your need to get some control back.
Do you have a maintenence plan for when you finish the latest ND 800 calorie phase? I ask, because that is the part of the ND many people fail to recognise. It does not stop at the end of the 8 week very low calorie part. Prof Taylor of ND fame does specify that following the very low calorie phase it will be necessary to eat around half to two thirds of your calorie intake prior to embarking on the very low calorie phase, and to weigh yourself weekly, and take action if increase in weight goes beyond 1 to 2kg.

Not having a go at you, personally, @murph524 . I and many others have fallen at this hurdle. Just highlighting it for any who think ND is a quick fix.
Best of luck with it all.

HELLO PIP - Your quote does not make sense - perhaps a misprint ? What do you mean ""prior to embarking on '' the very low calorie phase ? Do you mean prior to leaving the very low calorie phase ?
I am about to do the ND 800 and could you please repeat - what exactly does Prof Taylor specify ?
Something about half to two thirds of which calories ? Can you also include the link where I can find how and what he specifies etc. I have not had much luck in looking on the internet myself except to find lots of general info. Dr Michael Mosley mentions going on to the Fast Diet Med. type food after the ND 800 calorie, but does not go into great detail of the switch over. I am a newly diagnosed type 2 and need all the advice I can get. Yours etc hooha
Thursday 17th Nov
fasting bloods 10.0
3 x shakes 348 and 24.9 carbs
350 grms mix veg = 105 cals and 12.3 carbs
200 grms tinned tomatoes = 36 cals and 5.8 carbs
125 grms grated cauliflower = 32 cals and 6.0 carbs
cauliflower was fried off in some 1 cal spray and I added curry powder topped veg then grilled it for 5 mins (salt to taste)
250 grms alpro with 50 grms raspberries = 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
5 cups of tea = 25 cals
so that's 691 calories and 56.2 grams of carbs

I did a little bit of weights before I went to bed, I wonder if that made for the slight increase in fasting bloods.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Thursday 17th Nov
fasting bloods 10.0
3 x shakes 348 and 24.9 carbs
350 grms mix veg = 105 cals and 12.3 carbs
200 grms tinned tomatoes = 36 cals and 5.8 carbs
125 grms grated cauliflower = 32 cals and 6.0 carbs
cauliflower was fried off in some 1 cal spray and I added curry powder topped veg then grilled it for 5 mins (salt to taste)
250 grms alpro with 50 grms raspberries = 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
5 cups of tea = 25 cals
so that's 691 calories and 56.2 grams of carbs

I did a little bit of weights before I went to bed, I wonder if that made for the slight increase in fasting bloods.
HI MURPH- / Very impressed with your clear and detailed accounting of all your meals.
I am new to all this, recently diagnosed type 2, and trying to learn all I can as quickly as possible. How do you get 105 cals for the mixed veg.? I looked up half a dozen different veg on the USDA Food Composition Databases and found an average figure of 20 calories per 100 gram was about right. So 350 grams would be only 70 calories .[ Veg microwaved in water, no added sauces ] Any advice welcome :

murph524

HI MURPH- / Very impressed with your clear and detailed accounting of all your meals.
I am new to all this, recently diagnosed type 2, and trying to learn all I can as quickly as possible. How do you get 105 cals for the mixed veg.? I looked up half a dozen different veg on the USDA Food Composition Databases and found an average figure of 20 calories per 100 gram was about right. So 350 grams would be only 70 calories .[ Veg microwaved in water, no added sauces ] Any advice welcome :
Hi hooha I'm no expert but what I do is buy the pre packaged veg, and if you look at the calorie info on the back it varies on the type of veg you have, but it will say something like 50 calories per 100 grams so 150 grams will be 75 calories and if you buy whole veg, goggle whatever veg you have and you will get the nutrient values and you will see how many calories per 100 grams, what I do is weigh everything I eat that way you are not guessing on the amount. I have just googled cauliflower and it comes up at 25 calories per 100 grams and the ready made packet I got says 40 calories per 100 grams, so it appears that there might be slight vareations on packets.

Last edited:

murph524

Wed 30th Nov
fasting bloods = 5.2
shakes x 3 = 348 cals and 24.9 carbs
cups of tea = 6 30 cals
100 grams green beans = 29 cals and 3.2 carbs
330 grams cauliflower = 132 cals and 10 carbs
pepper = 60 cals and 14 carbs
1 egg = 80 cals
spray oil = 40 cals
stir fried
and 100 grams toms to snack on = 25 cals and 3.6 carbs
so that's 714 calories and 52.1 grams of carbs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, everyone has their own opinion in the way they see things, Iv'e been eating **** for a long time so I don't think 8 weeks will make much difference.

Indeed! The way I looked at it was that my meal replacements were medicine. I needed that medicine short term. As a general rule wouldn't eat anything with such a variety of artificial ingredients. Justified it by making the link with medicine. I wouldn't take the toxic meds if there was an alternative. The potential outcome for my 8 weeks of consuming the '****' in the meal replacements was worth the risk.

Hang on in there @murph524 , especially if you are feeling good and seeing results. Remember to have you follow on plan in place well before the end, though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HELLO PIP - Your quote does not make sense - perhaps a misprint ? What do you mean ""prior to embarking on '' the very low calorie phase ? Do you mean prior to leaving the very low calorie phase ?
I am about to do the ND 800 and could you please repeat - what exactly does Prof Taylor specify ?
Something about half to two thirds of which calories ? Can you also include the link where I can find how and what he specifies etc. I have not had much luck in looking on the internet myself except to find lots of general info. Dr Michael Mosley mentions going on to the Fast Diet Med. type food after the ND 800 calorie, but does not go into great detail of the switch over. I am a newly diagnosed type 2 and need all the advice I can get. Yours etc hooha
Hello, @hooha
I see you are new here, so welcome from me.

Sorry if I confused you, or anyone with trying to precis the Newcastle diet research.

The link to the ND info is the last line of my signature. What I meant is that the ND team, led by Prof Roy Taylor, recommend that after the 8 weeks very low calorie phase, when you return to eating normally you need to remember not to return to the amounts you were eating before you started. Which they say needs to be about a third less than you used to eat.
Hope that doesn't confuse you more.

Reactions: ziggy_w

murph524

Certainly, the meals you have been posting like the mushrooms and veggies sound really tasty as well as being really great for you. Appreciate the ideas.
To be honest Contralto the tastiest things I make are the soups, I make enough for 2 big bowls, the stir fry's not to bad either but Iv'e had a few disasters, It's quite hard to come up with new ideas on a limited food source.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest Contralto the tastiest things I make are the soups, I make enough for 2 big bowls, the stir fry's not to bad either but Iv'e had a few disasters, It's quite hard to come up with new ideas on a limited food source.

Spices and seasonings can make a huge difference. I like all veg, but if I get bored make them into curry, or just blitz them into soup with paprika and turmeric and garlic. Chinese seasoning on mushrooms is another variation.

murph524

Thur 1st Dec
fasting bloods = 5.2
shakes x 3 = 348 calories and 24.9 carbs
tea x 6 = 30 cals
300 mushrooms = 66 cals and 9.9 carbs
med onion = 44 cals and 10 carbs
small dash cream = 100 cals and 1 carb
stock cube = 30 cals and 3 carbs
250 grms alpro and 50 grms raspberries = 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
so that comes to 748 calories and 56 grams of carbs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you feeling after 2 weeks @murph524 ?
I ask because I felt very well, and had a lot of energy when I followed the ND method. Some people expect to be tired, so I was quite surprised.

Your fasting BG levels are looking good. Are you testing at other times during the day too?

murph524

How are you feeling after 2 weeks @murph524 ?
I ask because I felt very well, and had a lot of energy when I followed the ND method. Some people expect to be tired, so I was quite surprised.

Your fasting BG levels are looking good. Are you testing at other times during the day too?
Hi pip, Iv'e had a heavy cold since Monday, been off my work, so feeling like ****, But last week I was very tired, there was no way I could exercise even if I wanted to, I was even going to my bed an hour early because i was tired, Yes I have been testing at other times, mainly about 1 to 1 to 2 hours after evening meal, the last 3 days it has been mid 5s to 6.2 highest

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh poor you, but you are keeping going. Hopefully the feeling tired will be due to the cold.
BG is looking promising.

murph524

Fri 2nd Dec
fasting bloods = 6.0
shakes x 3 = 348 and 24.9 carbs
tea x 7 = 30 cals
200 grms mushrooms = 44 cals and 6.6 carbs
1 tin of tomatoes = 72 cals and 11.6 carbs
2 peppers = 120 cals and 28 carbs
so that's 584 calories and 71.1 grams of carbs.

murph524

Sat 3rd Dec
fasting bloods = 6.3
shakes x 2 = 232 cals and 16.6 carbs
tea x 4 = 20 cals
220 grm egg and salad cream = 372 cals and 15.8 carbs
large pepper = 90 cals and 21 carbs
150 grms mushrooms = 33 cals and 5 carbs
onion = 44 cals and 10 carbs
stock cube = 30 cals and 3 carbs
made into soup mmm. tasty
so that's 669 calories and 71.4 grams of carbs