Need a simple recipe for a sauce

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm pretty much a novice at cooking. I would like a simple sauce I could do to compliment gammon or steak something with cream and low calories. I'm on a low carb diet aswell so would have to have virtually no carbs. Something I can whip up in a couple of minutes with very few ingredients would be great.

Hotpepper20000

After cooking the steak I remove it to rest and add a nob of butter on low heat. Scrape up any brown bits from the pan.
Add a splash of cream. Add some steak seasoning,salt and pepper and /or a splash of port and pour over meat.
Not sure cream equals low calorie but it's yummy.

Reactions: Kristin251

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love a soft egg on my gammon with fried cabbage and leeks and stilton or even better st agur on my steaks with salad.

The other thing is you can make the veg creamy or cheese the you don't need a sauce for the meat

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make a gravy/ sauce with a mushroom base. It freezes well

Sauté mushrooms and onions if desired. Throw in a blender. Add beef or broth of choice, garlic, Sage, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Blend. add more broth to desired consistency. Great as a thanksgiving turkey gravy!!!

MuntiJay

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
sour cream, flour, garlic, and some tomatoes

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For gammon or fish - loads of chopped parsley warm some creme fraiche add parsley and season, also good is ream cheese warmed and add cooked leeks or cooked mushrooms

I love flavoured butters for steaks, fish and chicken and you can keep them in the freezer and just slice a bit off and place it on top of whatever your having melts slowly and gives a lovely flavour. Your imagination is your only limit with butters use herbs, lemon, chilli, spices, anything you can add

I also like creme fraiche with cheese as a cheese sauce for cauliflower, leeks broccoli or anything you like. I don't use cream much as I'm not keen prefer the acidity of creme fraiche

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
sour cream, flour, garlic, and some tomatoes

I would probably miss out the flour.

Instant cheese sauce; warm some double cream, crumble in some cheese, warm gently until cheese melts into the cream. Job done.

Reactions: Alison Campbell