Need advice about E-cigarettes - I am type 1

Callum1997T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am 19 and type 1 I was diagnosed 6 months ago and I am wanting to quit smoking.

I am wanting to use an ecig (electronic cigarette) But I dont know if it will affect my blood glucose etc.

Can someone advise me if its safe for me to use? I smoke so many fags a day and I wanting to use this to quit and focus more on my diabetes control.

Thank you all

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Callum1997T1 I can't answer your question but would you like me to amend your thread title so that it includes what you're asking advice about?

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Callum, as a former regular smoker I just wanted to say good luck with this. I gave up Oct 16 and went cold Turkey after an unsuccessful trial with vaping. I found these e-cigs gave me terrible sinus problems which in the end made me go back to the cigs. Stick with it though and if vaping will get you off them then give it a try, because I've realised that inhaling cigarette smoke has only one consequence, and that's poor health years down the line. I thinks its good that you have made this choice while you are still young

Reactions: azure

Vejovis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am a smoking cessation practitioner, I have not read anything substantial regarding ecigs and diabetes. As far as I'm aware no major studies have been done.

Ecigs are better than smoking as far as we know, but there are more tried and tested methods of giving up.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please be aware that any person with COPD should NOT vape..

It is a wet replacement going into lungs and really is not recommended.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I will agree with that statement, @donnellysdogs I gave up smoking cold turkey.

Got told this by a friend who is a smoking cessation lady about COPD. Had a friend whose partner had COPD and decided to vape instead of getting NHS help to quit. Friend/smoke advisor begged me to tell friend that hospitals dont like COPD and ecigs...:

D

Deleted member 308541

Friend/smoke advisor begged me to tell friend that hospitals dont like COPD and ecigs...:
There's a total ban on smoking in Queensland hospitals which includes eciggies, while you are in and on hospital property. This includes the footpath outside the hospital entrance and car park.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi all, I am 19 and type 1 I was diagnosed 6 months ago and I am wanting to quit smoking.

I am wanting to use an ecig (electronic cigarette) But I dont know if it will affect my blood glucose etc.

Can someone advise me if its safe for me to use? I smoke so many fags a day and I wanting to use this to quit and focus more on my diabetes control.

Thank you all

Please go to a smoking cessation counsellor thru ur GP... they can help more than ecigs...

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you all

I have started vaping not too long ago and it has had no changes in levels at all.

I will say though, be careful what vapes you buy and where from.

I have started on ones with tobacco and plan on using them for a month or 2 before movig to the ones with no nucotine.

Not going to happen overbight but should be total smoke free before Xmas.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do :)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Switched to vaping and have been tobacco free for 2 years. I am just doing the final transition to no nicotine right now. No problems, no moods, and no weight gain. It has no effect on my BG.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just a wee motivational dunt... when I stopped smoking about 4 years ago (after deciding not to let the nicotine deliver system manufacturer's get another penny out of me), I bought a brand new car; the monthly payments were about the same as my 30 a day habit. It's near to paid off now. Not smoking is paying off all the time.
I am applying the same approach to carbohydrates now..why give the manufacturer's your cash?
those who want to stop will do so in all manner of ways, and good luck to them. I'd suggest you invest in copy of Allen Carr's Easyway - or book a one-day course. I know friends who have had great success with this...and my wife stopped after one read of the book. Good luck.

Reactions: donnellysdogs