Need help to understand results - New in UK

Hi Guys,

I am a diabetic from couple of years now recently moved to UK. I had my first test in GP a week back. I have got an appointment with diabetic nurse on 20th March. But I just called up the GP and got to know my results.

Below is what results I was being told – can someone please tell what’s bad and what’s very bad in this.

Serum cholesterol levels 4.9
Calculated LDL 3.2
Calculated HDL 4.1
Liver Function Normal
BG (Fasting) 8.4
HBA1C 75 mmol/mol

I know my BG was high when I when in for test but I have been managing and monitoring since them (Accu Check Compact Plus) almost 3-4 times a day since last 3 weeks

3 weeks Average – 7.5
1 week average - 6.8

Please help to understand the results

Also – Can I get a copy of my reports or GP’s don’t give that, what is the process I need to follow to get a copy of my reports for my records as I might travel to a different country in next 1-2 years.

What question to ask the nurse, how can I be referred to a dietician….

BeccaJaneStClair

I can't help you with understanding it, as I'm newly diagnosed and originally from the US, so I'm as baffled as you with the figures! But I was able to get a print out of my blood test results just by asking my GP for it. I was going to write everything down and then he offered to print it for me, so it's worth asking if s/he will print it for you!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a conversion tool for your HbA1c here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

75mmol/mol = 9% in DCCT units :)

As for your records if you are going to be going to another country you can get a copy of your file though some surgerys will charge you for that. If they try to withold your records (which I am pretty sure is not even legal) I beleive there are ways to get them and your first stop may be to find your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Diabetes!! People who dont understand. Being overweight and hungry.
AndyS, is the conversion thing working properly, Ive just tried it by entering my current Hba1c of 46 and it said 479.2367, which looks strange to me, but I dont quite understand how it works myself, so am just checking.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hehe.. yes it is just make sure you put the values in the right box.

The new units mmol/mol go in the bottom box.

Tinytoez

Dislikes
So thats the % value right??????

Tinytoez

Dislikes
Ahh that looks better 46= 6.3590. :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Th levels given are in mmol/l, some other parts of the world uses mg/dl which is what you may be used to.

Serum cholesterol levels 4.9mmo/l =189.5 mg/dl
Calculated LDL 3.2mmol/l =125mg/dl
Calculated HDL 4.1 mmol/l =159mg/dl
(to change cholesterol mmo//dl to mg/dl multiply by 39)

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) and Department of Health cholesterol guidelines, which is the policy doctors follow, are:

Total cholesterol - less than 5.0mmol/l
LDL cholesterol - less than 3.0mmol/l
However, the Joint British Societies (a group of the main UK expert societies involved in cardiovascular disease) recommend different cholesterol limits for people who have, or are at risk of, coronary heart disease:

Total cholesterol - less than 4.0mmol/l
LDL cholesterol - less than 2.0mmol/l
These guidelines match the more stringent recommendations used in Europe.

NICE is currently reviewing its national policy guidelines.http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_he ... rol_levels
The BBC report doesn't give a level for HDL which other sites from the UK say should be above 1.2mmol/l

Liver Function Normal

BG (Fasting) 8.4mml/l = 151.2 mgdl
(to change blood glucose from mmol/l to mg/dl multiply by 18)

The HbA1c as people have already said uses the IFCC units of mmol/mol and it's easiest to use a calcuator or chart
HBA1C 75 mmol/mol= 9%
this is an estimated average glucose level of 11.8mmol/l = 212 mg/dl .http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx