1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Need help to understand results - New in UK

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by sumitkumar0102, Mar 5, 2012.

1. sumitkumar0102

sumitkumar0102 Member

Hi Guys,

I am a diabetic from couple of years now recently moved to UK. I had my first test in GP a week back. I have got an appointment with diabetic nurse on 20th March. But I just called up the GP and got to know my results.

Below is what results I was being told – can someone please tell what’s bad and what’s very bad in this.

Serum cholesterol levels 4.9
    Calculated LDL 3.2
    Calculated HDL 4.1
    Liver Function Normal
    BG (Fasting) 8.4
    HBA1C 75 mmol/mol

I know my BG was high when I when in for test but I have been managing and monitoring since them (Accu Check Compact Plus) almost 3-4 times a day since last 3 weeks

3 weeks Average – 7.5
    1 week average - 6.8

Please help to understand the results

Also – Can I get a copy of my reports or GP’s don’t give that, what is the process I need to follow to get a copy of my reports for my records as I might travel to a different country in next 1-2 years.

What question to ask the nurse, how can I be referred to a dietician….
  2. BeccaJaneStClair

BeccaJaneStClair Active Member

I can't help you with understanding it, as I'm newly diagnosed and originally from the US, so I'm as baffled as you with the figures! But I was able to get a print out of my blood test results just by asking my GP for it. I was going to write everything down and then he offered to print it for me, so it's worth asking if s/he will print it for you!
  3. AndyS

AndyS Active Member

There is a conversion tool for your HbA1c here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

75mmol/mol = 9% in DCCT units :)

As for your records if you are going to be going to another country you can get a copy of your file though some surgerys will charge you for that. If they try to withold your records (which I am pretty sure is not even legal) I beleive there are ways to get them and your first stop may be to find your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau
  4. Tinytoez

Tinytoez Active Member

AndyS, is the conversion thing working properly, Ive just tried it by entering my current Hba1c of 46 and it said 479.2367, which looks strange to me, but I dont quite understand how it works myself, so am just checking.
  5. AndyS

AndyS Active Member

Hehe.. yes it is just make sure you put the values in the right box.

The new units mmol/mol go in the bottom box.
  6. Tinytoez

Tinytoez Active Member

So thats the % value right??????
  7. Tinytoez

Tinytoez Active Member

Ahh that looks better 46= 6.3590. :D
  8. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

Th levels given are in mmol/l, some other parts of the world uses mg/dl which is what you may be used to.

Serum cholesterol levels 4.9mmo/l =189.5 mg/dl
    Calculated LDL 3.2mmol/l =125mg/dl
    Calculated HDL 4.1 mmol/l =159mg/dl
    (to change cholesterol mmo//dl to mg/dl multiply by 39)

Liver Function Normal

BG (Fasting) 8.4mml/l = 151.2 mgdl
    (to change blood glucose from mmol/l to mg/dl multiply by 18)

The HbA1c as people have already said uses the IFCC units of mmol/mol and it's easiest to use a calcuator or chart
    HBA1C 75 mmol/mol= 9%
    this is an estimated average glucose level of 11.8mmol/l = 212 mg/dl .http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx