Need Ladybird Version Please

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it basically says that insulin causes insulin resistance. Which is pretty well known.

The more insulin we have floating around, the more our bodies become deaf to it - so more insulin is needed to overcome the resistance.

It also shows links between insulin, insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome - suggesting that it is insulin resistance that is the central feature and cause of metabolic syndrome.

Insulin resistance due to constant high levels of insulin is explained much more clearly by Fung in his blog Intensive Dietary Management.

And the links between insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome are excellently discussed by ivor Cummings (aka the fat emperor) in his talks (available on You Tube)

Controlling insulin resistance is a separate challenge from controlling blood glucose. Although they are connected. I've got links on that too, if you want.

Apologies. I usually link to the blog and the videos I've mentioned, but I'm on my phone, not the pc, so links are hassle. Let me know if you can't find them via google, and I will post them tomorrow. :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Basically they found that having too much insulin in your system causes resistance to insulin. Resistance to insulin results in further release of insulin by your body or insulin administration as a medication. This increased insulin level further increases insulin resistance. The body's ability to release insulin in response to meals is also impaired with too much insulin constantly circulating in your body.They are advocating a pulsate or multiple dose administration of insulin, rather than one dose. They are also further arguing that insulin doses should be decreased rather than increased when insulin sensitivity begins to develop because there is some evidence that having lower basal (constant or background) insulin levels after having hyperinsulin (too much insulin in your body) levels will result in greater sensitivity to the insulin that is already present.

Hope that helps-if not let me know.

S

serenity648

Basically they found that having too much insulin in your system causes resistance to insulin. Resistance to insulin results in further release of insulin by your body or insulin administration as a medication. This increased insulin level further increases insulin resistance. The body's ability to release insulin in response to meals is also impaired with too much insulin constantly circulating in your body.They are advocating a pulsate or multiple dose administration of insulin, rather than one dose. They are also further arguing that insulin doses should be decreased rather than increased when insulin sensitivity begins to develop because there is some evidence that having lower basal (constant or background) insulin levels after having hyperinsulin (too much insulin in your body) levels will result in greater sensitivity to the insulin that is already present.

Hope that helps-if not let me know.

thank you. How does that relate to me, a Type 2 on no medication? Just wondering why the person (dont know how to link to them) posted it to me.

I have been reading Dr Briffa today about insulin resistance, and food choices and fasting.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thank you. How does that relate to me, a Type 2 on no medication? Just wondering why the person (dont know how to link to them) posted it to me.

I have been reading Dr Briffa today about insulin resistance, and food choices and fasting.

I do not know who posted it to you. Insulin resistance and higher than normal circulating levels of insulin or hyperinsulinimia are symptoms of type 2 diabetes-our bodies produce enough insulin but we are resistant to this insulin that our bodies produces.
Ladybird announced a few weeks ago that she was taking a break from the forum to deal with some related issues but to link to her you just use the @ladybird64 .
You just add the @ symbol to the beginning of their usernames.

Anything interesting coming up from Dr. Briffa?

S

serenity648

I am reading the Diet Trap. I have got to chapter 9 where he talks about how eating fats or fasting reduces insulin production, protein maintains the status quo through a chemical process I need to re-read, and carbs rais insulin levels.

so I am going to be looking and googling about fasting and other ways to reduce my insulin production, over the weekend.

Then I may be back for further simple explanations of other links : )

I am not thick, exactly, but the ME fog seems to make learning new things hard.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just got out of graduate school last year so I am still very used to putting papers like that into plain English. Ask me anytime.

One way that I lower my blood sugar, and so I think insulin levels also, is walking for 10-20 minutes after lunch- my meal with the most carbs. I do not speed race, I just walk at a nice even pace-it really seems to help keep my blood sugar levels even.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe @robertconroy can tell you why he posted this on your other thread? I read it and thought the same as the others. I think maybe he was trying to justify what he had said previously in the thread about eating low GI foods making weight loss easy. One of the things mentioned towards the end of his link is that CRP levels are raised with hyperinsulimia. Mine are normal but I still can't lose weight, so whilst the low GI diet works for some it doesn't work for all.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/weight-loss-has-stopped-ideas.110431/page-2#post-1321879

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @serenity648
I started a 16:8 fasting regime when I was diagnosed by skipping breakfast and eating in an 8 hour window just lunch and dinner daily. I think that when combined with a very low carb diet is the main reason why I gained a quite quick control of my blood sugars. It also started a process of weight loss which has continued for the past year. I have now introduced more extended fasting periods which also have a significant impact on blood sugar levels - I am currently on day 6 of a 7 day fast which will end tomorrow evening with dinner.. I am seeing bloods in the high 3's and low 4's doing this and have shed a couple of kilos. This may seem quite extreme to some but it's not too hard to do. however as always it is up to you what you do but I would recommend trying fasting by skipping breakfast for a couple of week sand see how you get on ( I just have 2 large mugs of tea to start my day with lactofree full fat milk, less carbs than regular milk). Let us know how you get on.
Hope that helps
Mark

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not know who posted it to you. Insulin resistance and higher than normal circulating levels of insulin or hyperinsulinimia are symptoms of type 2 diabetes-our bodies produce enough insulin but we are resistant to this insulin that our bodies produces.
Ladybird announced a few weeks ago that she was taking a break from the forum to deal with some related issues but to link to her you just use the @ladybird64 .

The Ladybird mentioned here is a series of children's books in the UK which explain a lot of things in a more easily understandable way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladybird_Books

S

serenity648

sorry, the Ladybird series of book are a childrens series in the Uk which gives simplified explanations (amongst other things) for children. Thanks for your help.

S

serenity648

I am already not eating between 8pm and about 10am, so I will extend this gradually and see how things go.

I read the reviews of Dr Fungs books on Amazon last night. Which one should I go for, as they are a bit expensive for my budget and I can afford both.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would read his blog online.

I bought his first book, then read the various blog articles, and thought 'huh, all the info is online for free. didn't need to buy the book!' lol.

In many cases, he uses the same words, sections of text, and references in the blog articles, so you really don't miss anything by not buying the book.

I'm currently reading his second book (the fasting one), and while I think it contains a bit more new info, I still think the blog contains (for free and in bite sized chunks) all the info you really need.

:)

S

serenity648

I would read his blog online.

I bought his first book, then read the various blog articles, and thought 'huh, all the info is online for free. didn't need to buy the book!' lol.

In many cases, he uses the same words, sections of text, and references in the blog articles, so you really don't miss anything by not buying the book.

I'm currently reading his second book (the fasting one), and while I think it contains a bit more new info, I still think the blog contains (for free and in bite sized chunks) all the info you really need.

:)

Thank you. I was hoping his books might be a bit more simple to read than the blog, especially searching for something specific, like how to actually fast. It seems there is more to it than just not eating - or am I overthinking?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that fasting IS as simple as not eating.

But we (and I am talking from first hand experience) tend to have a great deal of 'mental baggage' around not eating - and that makes it SEEM like fasting is huge and frightening and complex.

For me, I had Big Scary Buttons about hunger>low blood glucose>hypo>feeling ****>bingeing>feeling crapper>feeling guilty>feeling worthless>starving myself>hunger>and on, and on
Turns out NONE of that happens if I get into ketosis before fasting, and stay in ketosis while intermittently fasting.
On the other hand, if I try to fast after eating carbs, then the whole destructive cycle kicks in.
Just the way my body works, and easy to avoid, now I know how.

I also had/have a big Stress Point about going to bed hungry. Hate it. Fear it. Worry about it. This is due to a history of night time hypos and 2am bingeing standing with my head in the fridge.
Turns out this one is also easily avoided. Being in ketosis means the hypos are v unlikely. I usually fast 8pm to 7pm the next day, so rarely need anything before bed, and if I do, then it is easy enough to have a spoon of psyillium husks in water, or a fat bomb, or a LC drink.

And I have coffee and cream and fat bombs during a fast if necessary (call it a fat fast if you like), because I would rather do that, and keep avoiding carbs and protein, than break the fast through hunger.

So yes, the biggest barrier to fasting is our own mindset. But if you are already doing a form of intermittent fasting, then just stretch it a little, day by day, and see if that works. Fasting should work for you and your schedule.

Of course the one big thing to remember when starting fasting is that it may cause hypos if you are on blood glucose lowering meds. In that case, medical advice, or a stages reduction in meds, or just using common sense, is required.

S

serenity648

I think that fasting IS as simple as not eating.

But we (and I am talking from first hand experience) tend to have a great deal of 'mental baggage' around not eating - and that makes it SEEM like fasting is huge and frightening and complex.

For me, I had Big Scary Buttons about hunger>low blood glucose>hypo>feeling ****>bingeing>feeling crapper>feeling guilty>feeling worthless>starving myself>hunger>and on, and on
Turns out NONE of that happens if I get into ketosis before fasting, and stay in ketosis while intermittently fasting.
On the other hand, if I try to fast after eating carbs, then the whole destructive cycle kicks in.
Just the way my body works, and easy to avoid, now I know how.

I also had/have a big Stress Point about going to bed hungry. Hate it. Fear it. Worry about it. This is due to a history of night time hypos and 2am bingeing standing with my head in the fridge.
Turns out this one is also easily avoided. Being in ketosis means the hypos are v unlikely. I usually fast 8pm to 7pm the next day, so rarely need anything before bed, and if I do, then it is easy enough to have a spoon of psyillium husks in water, or a fat bomb, or a LC drink.

And I have coffee and cream and fat bombs during a fast if necessary (call it a fat fast if you like), because I would rather do that, and keep avoiding carbs and protein, than break the fast through hunger.

So yes, the biggest barrier to fasting is our own mindset. But if you are already doing a form of intermittent fasting, then just stretch it a little, day by day, and see if that works. Fasting should work for you and your schedule.

Of course the one big thing to remember when starting fasting is that it may cause hypos if you are on blood glucose lowering meds. In that case, medical advice, or a stages reduction in meds, or just using common sense, is required.

I was sure I read a post from you about eating broth when fasting????? To me, fasting isnt eating or drinking anything but water. Hence my confusion of what actual fasting is.

PS Fat bombs?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes, I drink broth too. Actually, I drink water, herb teas, broth, coffee(substitute) with cream, and carbonated water while fasting.

Have a google for fat bomb recipes. They are basically small nuggets, made of high quality fat. Think choc truffles, or lemon blobs, or peanut butter truffles. No carbs, virtually no protein, mainly butter, or coconut butter. Absolutely delicious.

I use them to stop my body from getting wracked by hunger, and to stop liver dumps. Not everyone needs them during a fast, of course. I just have a body that seems to do better if I use them.

As to 'what fasting is', then there are as many answers to that as there are people interested in the subject. I can't be bothered with purist thinking whether it is to do with low carbing, or fasting, or even religious fundamentalism. ;) It always strikes me as rather unhelpful.
Have a read of this thread, and you will see that the subject gets discussed on the forum quite often. :D
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-is-a-fast-not-a-fast.107691/

S

serenity648

Thank you for that great link. I put it on 'watch thread' and, when I just wanted to get back to it, it isnt listed, as there are no new posts. Any ideas on how to keep it in sight please?