Need some help please

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That will be your liver giving its opinion. Metformin is supposed to help with this. Forxiga works by clearing excess sugar out of the bloodstream via the kidneys. Neither one will cause hypos. Your other meds stimulate insulin production and can cause hypos.

barbie_1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there anything one can do to stop ones liver from giving it's opinion? I cant ask my team for more metformin @ 2G per day I am already maxed

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Persevere with the low carb?

I have read a few people saying that the body can also turn excess protein to glucose ...

I aim for about 5-10% carbs, 5-10% protein and about 80% fats

Kirbster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, forgive me for coming into this discussion so late! I'm a T1 diabetic (diagnosed 1982) and have been following the ketogenic diet now for about 6 weeks. I'm gobsmacked as to the difference it has made to my blood sugar levels, which after years of spiking, dropping, spiking, dropping, and continually chasing my tail with correction insulin shots followed by correction glucose tablets (I was having 2-5 hypos a day) I have finally succeeded in keeping my sugar level steady and I now hardly ever hypo (I still do occasionally but that's because I still haven't quite figured out my carb/protein/insulin ratio) and my sugar levels range between 4 and 7.

I've done nothing but research diabetes and keto diets for the last 6 weeks and have learnt so much!! One thing I have learnt is that I have to take insulin for both protein and carbs. I'm never very good at explaining things using my own words so I've taken this from the internet! "Gluconeogenesis is a metabolic process of making glucose, a necessary body fuel, from non-carbohydrate sources such as protein (amino acids), lactate from the muscles and the glycerol component of fatty acids." All I know is that protein does indeed affect my sugar level and I therefore have to limit it, so you might want to look into that.

Have you read Dr. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution? It was a huge eye opener for me and a great starting place for figuring out where I've been going wrong all these years. Another great book I'm now half way through is The Ketogenic Diet for Type 1 Diabetes, written by Ellen Davis and Keith Runyan. Dr. Runyan is a retired physician who is also a Type 1 diabetic. So far it's another great insight into the ketogenic diet and how it affects diabetes.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Ultramum

barbie_1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ Kirbster, thank you so very much for your input, whether coming late too the conversation or not, its very helpful.I do actually know where I have been going wrong all these years, it's called following medical advice, but in fairness, i did have little option as I had a very bad gall bladder issue for some 25 years and it would not tolerate fats or oils of any description so my diet was mainly all carbs,I finally had it removed January this year, it took a while to recover and now this past three almost 4 weeks I finally get to own and try solve my diabetic problem and my team are all behind me in this.
That said My numbers were all very good with my meds, but oh my goodness what a lot of meds and i did have peaks usually in the morning but never had hypos.
Then I decided to low carb it, and 2 weeks down the line got my first hypo, didn't feel unwell just did my regular finger prick and came in @3.9, LMAO I thought my meter had gone wrong so I did it again and got a 3.7 then had to fill my face with gummi bears to address the situation.Next morning I made desision to drop all my meds except the metformin, as the days went by my numbers were drifting back up, so i added back the sitagliptin, then few days later added back the forxiga, now I think its about right just for now,I awake today on a 7.9 and ranged between that and 7.2 all day, I took advice of last person that answered my post and dropped a little pof the protein and added a bit more fat and it seems to be working. I am still juggling and adjusting stuff as this keto thing is all very new too me so i am trying to get used to it even though my diabetes is long standing.
Somewhere i got to be doing something right cuz i managed to lose total 22 lbs so far too.

Kirbster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are doing amazingly well @barbie_1957!! It's a huge trial and error thing for me too right now, but it's the best learning curve I've ever been on. So much still to learn, and my sugar levels still need to be ironed out, but from someone who used to hit highs in the late teens and lows down to 1.7, for me to finally be averaging between 4-7 and not often moving out of that range, it's almost miraculous! I shot up to 10 this morning for reasons I'm yet to fathom and it really shocked me!! Until I realised that's nothing compared to the roller coaster I used to experience.

Huge congrats for losing all that weight, fantastic!! I've only lost a few pounds in the first couple of weeks but the weight loss has stopped for me now, but I know that's because I need to cut the calories if I want more to drop off. However, I'm only about half a stone away from my ideal goal weight so I'm focussing on my diabetes control first and the weight can wait!

Reactions: Ultramum

barbie_1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your time and assistance, I seem to be doing very well with this now my numbers have never been so good in a long long time.
Thank you all so very much :)