Need your HELP Am Scared

speedking668

Hi Everyone

For some reason i thought id buy a blood sugar testing kit to check my blood.

I had fasted for about 8-10 hours, i woke up and checked my blood sugar level before eating or drinking anything , ( only brushed my teeth )

My reading came up to 6.7. Does this now mean that i have diabetes?

What should I do ?

**Update Today***

Just to update this , I only had 1 strip left so thought id use it again this morning ,

This time the reading has been 5.7.

I had a coco pops cereal bar for in the morning.
50 g of blue berry
Ploughmans sandwich from M&S
A Prawn Salad from M&S
Chicken Curry around 300grams with 2 large garlic naan bread.

***Update Yesterday***

Well despite many of you saying put away the machine and just wait till the doctors i couldn't help it and take another fasting test ( finger prick )

Yesterday It was 6.7 and today its 6.3

Just to let you know what I ate yesterday it was.

Kellogs Frosties cereal with whole fat milk.
A home pamde toasty which had 2 slices of white bread , 2 slice of cheeder chesese light mayo and a can of tuna.
50g of blue berries
Half a chicken from nandos ( around 400g ) and also chicken liver ( 150grams ) with spicy rice ( 200 grams ) all from nandos.
Ginger Tea
A glass of ACV about 1am, i went to sleep about 3 and woke up at around 10.45, I took the morning test at 11:15 before eating or drinking anything.

I will take another test tomorrow as i only have 1 strip left.

Do you think I should completely cut all carbs today and take the test tomorrow or should i perhaps do the reverse ie eat what i want carb and sugar or not and see how it effects my blood for tomorrow morning. ?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

I had fasted for about 8-10 hours, i woke up and checked my blood sugar level before eating or drinking anything , ( only brushed my teeth )

What should I do ?
No it doesn't mean you have diabetes. At worst you are pre diabetic and maybe not even that. Fasting blood tests are notoriously inaccurate. Now that you have frightened yourself I suppose the best thing to do would find out for sure by asking your doctor for an Hba1c test which will be a more reliable indicator.

speedking668

Okay thank you, should i perhaps spend today monitoring before and after meals ?

Would that give a better indication ? I will apply for the Hba1c test , i do see some companies offer it online, however, i have noticed that the results are based on the previous 2-3 months, during this time my diet has actually been really bad .

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Okay why did you think you might have diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay thank you, should i perhaps spend today monitoring before and after meals ?

Would that give a better indication ? I will apply for the Hba1c test , i do see some companies offer it online, however, i have noticed that the results are based on the previous 2-3 months, during this time my diet has actually been really bad .
Yes, you can test before and after meals but most people get a sugar rise after eating and there is no criteria for diagnosis in a post prandial test.

See your doctor for the Hba1c test. It involves taking a blood sample from a vein and I shudder to think how you might do that on line.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will apply for the Hba1c test , i do see some companies offer it online, however, i have noticed that the results are based on the previous 2-3 months, during this time my diet has actually been really bad .

The whole point of an Hba1c test is to find out what your sugar levels have been like for the last three months. It is this feature which makes it a really useful indicator of what's been going on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because my fasting reading was 6.7 and from a google search anything above 6 means you have a diabetics blood sugar level

A reading above 7 indicates possible diabetes, but that has to be confirmed by an HbA1c.

Okay thank you i will book my self in , this was the website https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/hba1c but i think what ill do is just go doctors then .

Im just worried that the last 2-3 months ive been eating really bad, do you think i should perhaps clean my diet and exercise up for a month and then go ?

That is up to you. If you are diabetic now, you need to know.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay thank you i will book my self in , this was the website https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/hba1c but i think what ill do is just go doctors then .

Im just worried that the last 2-3 months ive been eating really bad, do you think i should perhaps clean my diet and exercise up for a month and then go ?
No I don't. There is no point cleaning up your act and then going to find out what the damage is. You want it warts and all so you can be clear what's to be done about it.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Because my fasting reading was 6.7 and from a google search anything above 6 means you have a diabetics blood sugar level
It is a range which indicates a possibility. Many things can alter your levels - infection for instance can cause higher levels (your liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream to fight infection). If in doubt get your HBAC1 tested by a doctor - what other indicators have you got that makes you think you have diabetes? Are you overweight, excess urination for instance?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was amusing. I just clicked the link to see how they expected you to get a DIY blood sample. Apparently you prick a finger and keep massaging it until you fill the test tube with blood. Might be quicker to cut your arm off.

speedking668

It is a range which indicates a possibility. Many things can alter your levels - infection for instance can cause higher levels (your liver dumps glucose into the bloodstream to fight infection). If in doubt get your HBAC1 tested by a doctor - what other indicators have you got that makes you think you have diabetes? Are you overweight, excess urination for instance?

Im not over weight, my BMI is bang in the middle. Im not sure what other symptoms there are, i mean there isn't many and the ones that are listed are vague, but i dont get headaches or dizziness etc.

That was amusing. I just clicked the link to see how they expected you to get a DIY blood sample. Apparently you prick a finger and keep massaging it until you fill the test tube with blood. Might be quicker to cut your arm off.

Yeah Im going to leave that and go to the docs

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Agreed: maybe don't do any more experimenting yourself- just go to the doctor and get a proper test done.
Good luck with it!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do ask the surgery for either a spot finger-prick test or an Hba1c if they are prepared to do that, BTW a pharmacy can do finger-prick tests. The favoured diet for diabetics (and even most other people) is to keep the carbs down and have enough fats and protein plus veg and fruit to keep you feeling full

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to your doctors if u think u have symptoms. ..normal range is between 4 and 8..for non diabetics and that changes depending on what u eat...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@speedking668 . Best advice I can offer is...... STOP. Googling perceived medical conditions.
If you genuinely feel that something is amiss then visit a GP.
Don't leave it a month and change your lifestyle in order to obtain a more favourable outcome.

speedking668

Yeah ive booked my self in , however earliest appointment is 4th of jan...

I will still take my morning fasting readings but thats it, just to see if there is any fluctuation so i can inform my doctor before hand about whats been going on.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

What should I do ?
No a finger prick cannot confirm diabetes only a proper blood test can do that. Just wondered why you thought you needed to buy a blood monitor eating badly for few months will not give you diabetes .Even a non diabetic can have a reading of over 6 and even higher sometimes.If you do not have any symptoms like raging thirst or extreme tiredness and are not overweight then no reason to think you have diabetes. Lock the meter away to keep testing will only make you paranoid until you know for sure if you have diabetes or not so go and see your doctor and ask for a proper blood test