Needle free injector

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So like a week ago i had a question on the Type 1 forum, it was about a new device. I found a needle free insulin injector called Insujet, but seems my device was a faulty one. I got it replaced, it came yesterday and i was finally able to test it out yesterday before my evening meal.

I just want to let people know that it works, like seen on the videos, i dont feel anything other than the pressure i make when pushing the device on to the skin to release insulin from the device. it didnt hurt me at all, it creates a fine stream of insulin that gets under ur skin, thats how it works. also it makes a firm click sound when injecting, thats how u know its done, coz u cant actually tell without the click. my only "bad" experience with it so far is that click sound only, i was so nervous it seemed even louder than it actually was and that scared me, but im getting use to it. I tried it again today, and just like yesterday, didnt feel anything, also the click didnt seem as scary either. I guess i was just too nervous.

My main reasons to get this device was of course that its needle free, i hurt myself like 3 out of 5 times with the Novopen. Also hoping for less bruises. Now i have to mention that this device can leave bruises too. Yesterday at first try it left some red spot, i dont know if it ll get as painful as with the novopen, for now it doesnt seem as bad.

One thing that my Dr was worried about. She read on this device companys website that u might fail injecting all units, if the device is not held in place for at least 5 seconds after injecting then some insulin might not be able to get under ur skin...? it did happpen to me at first try, bcoz the click scared me i pulled away the device too fast, but i think it couldnt be more than 1 units missing, bcoz my BG levels were still okay.
Also we didnt know how fast the insulin would start working. it says that its half the time than with a needle injector, bcoz it spreads under ur skin and takes up faster. With novopen it takes 30mins to me, with the insujet it was 15-20mins, i kept checking it to see.
Before meal my BG was 5,4.
15mins after insulin given it started going down a bit (4,8) so i decided to have dinner then. I checked again 30mins after meal if everything is okay, it was 9,3. then 2 hours after meal it was 6,0.

So overall, it did work, it didnt hurt at all, im very happy that i could finally get it to work. I read not everyone is getting bruises or pain when injecting with needle, so i dont know if it would make them a difference switching to this device, but for people like me or people who have a bad fear of needles and have to take insulin daily, this would definitely help. If u want me to share more about this device just let me know, i can keep u updated. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and isjoberg

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it look like this?

upload_2017-2-22_2-45-30.jpeg

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but for people like me or people who have a bad fear of needles and have to take insulin daily, this would definitely help.

Sounds brilliant. My wife actually worked on patents for these sorts of devices several years ago, I've been wondering when they might become available.

This would definitely be the answer to my father's prayers. Do you think all UK GPs would be happy to prescribe or maybe money is going to be a restraint. My dad can easily take 45 minutes to inject, purely because of the fear of needles, and building up to "pressing the button", he's even tried hypnosis but to no avail. I only have to say the word and he starts to go weak and wobbly.

Edit: I didn't realise that they've been around for 6 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds brilliant. My wife actually worked on patents for these sorts of devices several years ago, I've been wondering when they might become available.

This would definitely be the answer to my father's prayers. Do you think all UK GPs would be happy to prescribe or maybe money is going to be a restraint. My dad can easily take 45 minutes to inject, purely because of the fear of needles, and building up to "pressing the button", he's even tried hypnosis but to no avail. I only have to say the word and he starts to go weak and wobbly.

Unfortunately here, in Hungary this device is not available, my doc couldnt prescribe it for me bcoz she didnt know what im talking about. Tho after reading about Insujet on the companys website she said shes not against me using it. I got it from the UK so maybe they can prescribe it there.
Someone commented on my other topic about insujet that he read its available on NHS. U can try ask ur doc or call the company..? Let me know if u figure out something about this please.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You can buy them without a prescription from Spirit Healthcare, however, they don't have all that good a reputation within the NHS. I spoke to my DSN about them a couple of years ago, as they'd tried them with a few users, and had found that insulin absorption had been poor and that there had been a lot of bruising.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didnt notice that much bruising so far. From first try theres a small red purple spot left, from second try no bruising at all, today one looks like a tiny mosquito bite, they arent painful at all. From the novopen i still have blue green purple bruises almost after every injection. My BG is fine too after meal. Ive only been using it for 2-3 days so thats all my experiences with it for now, but in my opinion it does seem to work.