Needleless and Strip Free Monitoring

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The limitation is that this will not be able to take the night time (sleeping) glucose...

Sugarbeat might just be closer to reaching the market and depending on their pricing strategy...provide a little healthy competition to Libre...
http://sugarbeat.com/

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The limitation is that this will not be able to take the night time (sleeping) glucose...

Sugarbeat might just be closer to reaching the market and depending on their pricing strategy...provide a little healthy competition to Libre...
http://sugarbeat.com/
Anyone know how they are doing? Their website still says late 2017 for launch.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That should give the Freestyle Libre some competition. Good to know. X

D

Deleted Account

Interesting that the article says it is "intended for type 2 diabetes".
Why do they not think it is suitable for other types?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This one, Glucowise doesn’t specify, they mention Glucotrack in the article as a comparison, which it states it is aimed at Type 2s. I assume that Glucowise can be used by all diabetics

D

Deleted Account

This one, Glucowise doesn’t specify, they mention Glucotrack in the article as a comparison, which it states it is aimed at Type 2s. I assume that Glucowise can be used by all diabetics
But why would any BG tester be aimed at type 2s only?
I wonder if it is some strange assumption that is does not have to be as accurate for t2.

justadad

I had a look at both sugerbeat and glucowise websites provided here.
Sugerbeat sensor, if I understood correctly, has a lifespan of 24 hours. That again requires some daily routine.
Glucowise, as I understand, only replaces the finger pricking and provides you with the actual reading, but it does not give you any insight into you BS levels for the last 8 hours as the libre does.
I think they can only compete with libre and real cgms only if they come at a reasonable price.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if it is some strange assumption that is does not have to be as accurate for t2.
It is strange.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a look at both sugerbeat and glucowise websites provided here.
Sugerbeat sensor, if I understood correctly, has a lifespan of 24 hours. That again requires some daily routine.
Glucowise, as I understand, only replaces the finger pricking and provides you with the actual reading, but it does not give you any insight into you BS levels for the last 8 hours as the libre does.
I think they can only compete with libre and real cgms only if they come at a reasonable price.
Yes that’s how I understand it. I agree Glucosewise is not a competitor for continuous monitoring systems, it’s a replacement for finger prick tests

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Technically, having a MARD that is wider than 9% is okay when you're not dosing insulin from it. That's generally why they say "suitable for T2". It doesn't matter as much that there is greater variability in the readings if you aren't reliant on them for insulin.

Reactions: ringi

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Technically, having a MARD that is wider than 9% is okay when you're not dosing insulin from it. That's generally why they say "suitable for T2". It doesn't matter as much that there is greater variability in the readings if you aren't reliant on them for insulin.
* Googles MARD but fails to find the meaning relevant to your post! I assume it’s something to do with margins for error?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The problem is that both for driving and corrective inslin dose the current BG need to be know with very little risk of a misreading.

But for Type2 being able to see how your BG responds to meals etc is of great benfit to leaning even if any given reading is wrong sometims. I think there selling point will be that the GlucoWise plus their mobile phone app results in people getting better Ac1 result, due to them learning what to eat. So it is more a long term learning tool, then a method to know what your BG is at a given time.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The problem is that both for driving and corrective inslin dose the current BG need to be know with very little risk of a misreading.

But for Type2 being able to see how your BG responds to meals etc is of great benfit to leaning even if any given reading is wrong sometims. I think there selling point will be that the GlucoWise plus their mobile phone app results in people getting better Ac1 result, due to them learning what to eat. So it is more a long term learning tool, then a method to know what your BG is at a given time.
As with all of these things, it needs to be priced at a level that makes it affordable by enough people to swell uptake.

P

pollensa

This sounds promising. No ongoing costs of strips and no needles either :) :
https://labiotech.eu/glucowise-interview-needle-free-diabetes/

yes out in end next year I hear, take a peep at Genteel its amazing, you dont feel anything, infact, can be put on childs arm middle of night, and they dont wake up a suction style, you can take test on arm, hand, knee, anywhere, plus if you want option to continue on your finger, but its amazing. Not cheap in spain 149 Euros, the best thing ever.

Mallorca

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are functions such as alarms and assistance for insulin control that some meters incorporate, and these may be missing in this meter. Also a meal log may be missing or at least marker functions to give pre and post prandial setpoints that can be related to the readings.

D

Deleted Account

There are functions such as alarms and assistance for insulin control that some meters incorporate, and these may be missing in this meter. Also a meal log may be missing or at least marker functions to give pre and post prandial setpoints that can be related to the readings.
I have type 1 and a meter with none of these features.
I suspect it is, as @tim2000s says, it is about accuracy for dosing insulin.
(Yes, I know type 2 may be treated with insulin.)