Nervous about pump... advice?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I did consider a make-up bag but as you can see from my avatar all i need to make my face up is eye liner lol

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I don't think pink will go very well with my red hair straighteners that my wife and daughters bought me for xmas

Reactions: -beckyb93-

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair though, what you choose to carry around is entirely up to you. I've typically got one spare Mio set with me in my bag, my Contour Meter in its case and a Novopen. That's it. If I need to reload a reservoir then I can do so from the Novopen into the reservoir in the pump.

Not all of us carry multiple spares around with us on a daily basis, so I wouldn't carry a spare meter, spare pot of strips, spare reservoirs and additional spare infusion sets with me. If I'm away from home for more than a day, then that's a different matter, but for the day to day, I don't find I need a lot.

I also used the CGM with the 640G, so when I was using that, I didn't bother carrying the Contour meter if I was going out at night. Calibrate beforehand then you have your glucose levels without needing anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: yingtong

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am very similar to you @tim2000s as I still go to school I can keep a lot of my spare kit there but when I'm out and about just to the shop I don't take any spares with me but like you said overnight in places it's a bit different

groucho74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was thinking of going through it online so to speak.

I thought it would be a group thing lol
hi @blueeyed81 I did my pump training at Barrow as well, 2 years ago, and if it is still the same set up, with the Medtronic nurse, it will be a group session involving 4 or 5 of you.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi @blueeyed81 I did my pump training at Barrow as well, 2 years ago, and if it is still the same set up, with the Medtronic nurse, it will be a group session involving 4 or 5 of you.
Thank you :). My dsn is Carol and I see dietician Alison. I'm on countdown now lolol.

Are you still in Barrow :)

groucho74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you :). My dsn is Carol and I see dietician Alison. I'm on countdown now lolol.

Are you still in Barrow :)
yeah, I see Carol/Alison about every 4 months now as they are happy with my control (been averaging A1c of 6.7% which is incredible after close on 23 years of 10%+).
The group session is really good as you are all starting off at the same level of understanding of the pump and you'll probably make pump buddies.
The first week you'll be on saline and you'll be encouraged to play around with the pump.
The second week you'll go live with your insulin.
Don't be worried about asking questions either - no such thing as a stupid question.
Do check with Carol what you should do about you Basal the night before going live.
First month you'll feel like nothing is working right but stick with it and it will come together......and make sure you know Carol's phone number or email address.

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
yeah, I see Carol/Alison about every 4 months now as they are happy with my control (been averaging A1c of 6.7% which is incredible after close on 23 years of 10%+).
The group session is really good as you are all starting off at the same level of understanding of the pump and you'll probably make pump buddies.
The first week you'll be on saline and you'll be encouraged to play around with the pump.
The second week you'll go live with your insulin.
Don't be worried about asking questions either - no such thing as a stupid question.
Do check with Carol what you should do about you Basal the night before going live.
First month you'll feel like nothing is working right but stick with it and it will come together......and make sure you know Carol's phone number or email address.
That's good to know, I have Carols email :) I emailed her to ask about the pump, 2 weeks later I was doing the paperwork to get on the first pump clinic of the year lol. Bonus, I'm going to make a list of questions if I remember lol. My current a1c is 10.2 so hoping to get it better. It has been a lot worse in the past though. I was 10.4 the test before that. Currently going in the right direction lol.

Reactions: -beckyb93-

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
1. We need to talk more, we have a lot in common.
2. An insulin pump is not that uncomfortable. Once you put it on a new site and the insulin starts going through the tubing, it feels a little weird, but after an hour, you get used to it.
3. People only notice it if you put it on your arm and your are either wearing a tank top or really short sleeves.
4. If someone sees the box on your hip (if your pump is shaped like a box), some might just think it is a phone clipped to your hip.
5. I hope this helps, dm me after you read this.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm getting a pump in January I'm 14 and I'm nervous that I won't like it and it'll be very uncomfortable at school ( as I wear skirts ) or how I sleep as I sleep in my side but I don't want to get it and say no I don't want it as it costs a lot of money and the hosital has said that they wouldn't like that. So I need some advice had anybody got any??

Eireannn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, yuck
Hi, I'm getting a pump in January I'm 14 and I'm nervous that I won't like it and it'll be very uncomfortable at school ( as I wear skirts ) or how I sleep as I sleep in my side but I don't want to get it and say no I don't want it as it costs a lot of money and the hosital has said that they wouldn't like that. So I need some advice had anybody got any??

Hey Lucy, I'm 15 and fingers crossed should be getting a pump soon! When the nurse started talking about pumps, I didn't like the sound of it. I thought it would get in my way and I hate stuff attached to me. However, she mentioned another pump called the Omnipod I think? I'm not sure how it's spelt. Anyway, it's a wireless pump (no tubey thing attached at all!) which you stick on the body places where you'd inject and it's bluetoothed to a meter and releases insulin into you when you put the info in, etc.

https://www.myomnipod.com/

Have a look here :)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Little_Lucy I adore my pump and wish I'd had it 29 years sooner....

I've had it just over a year. I LOVE IT. It has given me the life I wish I'd claimed sooner. I had let my diabetes rule and dictate and steer my life for far too long. I didn't know I could lead such a normal life - and with my pump, I CAN.

Now I run. I swim. I go to the cinema without fear of passing out. I finish the things I start.

All the best with it.

:)

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Feeling a little deflated atm. Because the consultant didnt go through everything in December im now having to wait another month. I know that sounds harsh but ive been waiting so long for one. And im kinda feeling the closer i seem to get something happens to.push it back.

How you all getting on? @Little_Lucy ?

Any pump news?
I've got next 4 appointments booked.
31st jan. 2nd feb. 9th feb. 23rd feb x

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm getting my pumps on Monday!! Not sure when the other appointments are though @-beckyb93- however as I've just come back from skiing my levels are everywhere! I'm hypo all over the place and my once 26 units of levimer at night has since been changed to 21 yet still many hypos!

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Eireannn unfortunately unlike yourself I do not have choice of which pump I get I'm getting the medetronic pump ( I think that's what it's called) but I'll let you know how it goes

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the advice @jasmine1616 but I'm sorry I think we have messaged before quite a while back and I do believe you live in America, yes? (As you have told me) but see I live in England so we're practically a day apart which makes it hard to message one another. Sorry!

-beckyb93-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Little_Lucy

Eek im excited for you. Mines delayed because the consultant i saw in December is useless n filled out wrong paperwork n didnt even go over the pump.

Ive got training sessions they've said
Before i have it. Then go back and show them i remember what they showed me. Etc...
Bit miffed because i now have to miss really important uni stuff because of the consultants error.

Im so excited for you though xx