Nespresso (other espresso's are available)

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Hi all, does anyone else on here use a Nespresso machine and if so do you find the coffee from the pods raises your blood sugars.

I am finding a single shot (intensities between 7 and 12) taken black without sugar is raising my bloods by 0.3 on average.

Reactions: ziggy_w

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use one....but always with "falsies" rather than then espresso capsules and I have noticed no effect on my BG. In fact I tend to drink more of it since diagnosis as it curbs my appetite.

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
I use one....but always with "falsies" rather than then espresso capsules and I have noticed no effect on my BG. In fact I tend to drink more of it since diagnosis as it curbs my appetite.
I tend to use the genuine pods as I haven't found any from the other brands that I like.

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, does anyone else on here use a Nespresso machine and if so do you find the coffee from the pods raises your blood sugars.

I am finding a single shot (intensities between 7 and 12) taken black without sugar is raising my bloods by 0.3 on average.

Hi @TazziT,

Yes, I find that caffeine raises my blood sugars, too.

I was a die-hard cappuccino drinker for a long time and use an espresso machine with loose espresso powder rather than capsules. I started testing my reaction to cappucino about a year after diagnosis and found that my blood sugars went up from about 5.0 to about 6.7 after having a cup. I figure it must have been the stress response after drinking caffeine.

After this, I played around a bit: Tested espresso with cream (rather than foamed milk), decaffeinated espresso with foamed milk, and decaffeinated espresso with cream. I found that the reaction was due to both -- the caffeine and the milk.

So, reluctantly I switched to drinking decaffeinated espresso with cream, which keeps the rise to about 0.6 to 1 mmol. After a while now, I enjoy decaffeinated espresso with cream just as much as I used to enjoy cappuccino.

However, a raise of 0.3 mmol, as you experience, really isn't much, so I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: dbr10 and col101

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for the Lidl ones.
A 0.3 rise could just be meter tolerance or maybe your sugar was rising anyway.

Reactions: dbr10

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Hi @TazziT,

However, a raise of 0.3 mmol, as you experience, really isn't much, so I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I have cut down to 1 or 2 shots a day and would like to drink a few more but a little worried about the effect its having. I only drink decaff after 1400hrs, Pre diagnosis I used to drink 8 or 9 shots a day an miss it like mad. I'm currently drinking green tea as a caffine replacement as this is not having any effects on my BGL's.

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have cut down to 1 or 2 shots a day and would like to drink a few more but a little worried about the effect its having. I only drink decaff after 1400hrs, Pre diagnosis I used to drink 8 or 9 shots a day an miss it like mad. I'm currently drinking green tea as a caffine replacement as this is not having any effects on my BGL's.

Hi @TazziT,

I empathize very much. When I found out that I strongly reacted to caffeine and had to give it up -- I just thought what a bummer, one more thing I have to cut out.

There are quite a lot of sacrifices we make in the name of diabetes, aren't there.

Some months ago, I had to prepare a meeting at work and I bought the decaffeinated version of the purple capsules -- and thought they were rather good. Have you tried them yet?

Reactions: TazziT

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Hi @TazziT,

I empathize very much. When I found out that I strongly reacted to caffeine and had to give it up -- I just thought what a bummer, one more thing I have to cut out.

There are quite a lot of sacrifices we make in the name of diabetes, aren't there.

Some months ago, I had to prepare a meeting at work and I bought the decaffeinated version of the purple capsules -- and thought they were rather good. Have you tried them yet?
The purples are nice, but even nicer are the not that long ago released decaff version of the black (ristreto) capsules they have a red dot for id purposes.

Reactions: col101 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The purples are nice, but even nicer are the not that long ago released decaff version of the black (ristreto) capsules they have a red dot for id purposes.

Definitely have to try the black one, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a nespresso and love it. I have quit coffee before thinking that was what caused my rise but turns out it's just DP after all. Even if it's not I'm drinking it. I have one in the morning. Then make another, eat the crema and refrigerate. It's nicely chilled and I dump it on ice. I love iced coffee and I have an afternoon IV drip of cafffiene. It takes me awhile to drink it. I sip it all day.

B

badcat

I have a nespresso machine and use various colours of their capsules (gold, purple and green are my favourites)
Havnt noticed any effect on BS, although I have to say a 0.3 rise wouldnt make it onto my radar - I would just ignore it as part of the inherent normal variation in BS level and meter consistency

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest what coffee? I've been thinking of going this route as I'd like something a bit stronger than Nespresso do. I've not looked at other brand pods though, I suppose there's might be stronger ones out there.

And back on topic, I wouldn't worry about a sub 1mmol rise per cup. Good value I'd say.

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Out of interest what coffee? I've been thinking of going this route as I'd like something a bit stronger than Nespresso do. I've not looked at other brand pods though, I suppose there's might be stronger ones out there.

And back on topic, I wouldn't worry about a sub 1mmol rise per cup. Good value I'd say.

The highest intensity I have seen in other brand capsules is a 10 from Taylors of Harrogate, tried it but wasn;t keen on the blend. The Nespresso 10- 11- 12 are my regular go to's always as 40ml with no milk/cream or sugar. The single source 8 is nice as a mellow shot. My favorite at the moment being the Decaff Ristreto at intensity 10, its been about for about 2 or 3 months now.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the intenso brown pod for coffee. And the blue or purple for espresso. I must try the red decaf if it's high intensity.
I also like the vanillla for bf.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The highest intensity I have seen in other brand capsules is a 10 from Taylors of Harrogate, tried it but wasn;t keen on the blend. The Nespresso 10- 11- 12 are my regular go to's always as 40ml with no milk/cream or sugar. The single source 8 is nice as a mellow shot. My favorite at the moment being the Decaff Ristreto at intensity 10, its been about for about 2 or 3 months now.
I only buy the 12 Kazaar now. Did try a decaf Taylor's but was unimpressed although they weren't intended for me.

S

Sean01

I use a Nespresso machine daily. I couldn't live without it.
before each work out - so twice a day.
Obviously having the work out would fudge any blood sugar readings
Black, no sugar.

More coffee and black tea through the day at work

Not much help - sorry

Sean

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I seriously doubt your meter is accurate enough to show a 0.3 mmol diff..I would say that's no change. I love my nespresso and am currently on my third machine. Triple shot Americano with 2 tablespoons of double cream is my poison. One dark green lungo, one arpeggio (purple) and one vanillo topped up with just off boiling water.. having 2 per day. I don't think I could do without them and am going to try to include in my LCHF Newcastle Diet experiment.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I've even been known to take my nespresso pixie on holiday with me! I bulk buy the proper capsules but eke them out with Lidl's ones, (which take much longer to go through).
I'll often have a cup mid-morning when I'm testing at 5.5-ish. That allows me to have a frothy milk cappuccino without guilt...

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink it all the time and not noted any significant rise, a word of warning though I was using a non branded plastic pod and it cracked in my machine- took ages to clean all the coffee grounds out and almost knackered it for good. I also found that some of the plastic ones you do get some grounds in the coffee making it feel gritty

Have gone back to the proper pods now but have discovered that the Lor ones are metal so do use those when I've run out. I also prefer the nespresso brand for the recycling element - its shameful the size of the pile of used pods I have every month so getting them collected with my delivery salves my conscience slightly lol