Neuropathy - advice please

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been low carbing (under 40g daily) for over six months but am dismayed to find neuropathy is steadily marching upwards from my toes, now at ankle level in places. I had thought keeping my BG levels at an acceptable level (43 and 46 on the last two hba1c tests), would have helped but it seems not.

Any thoughts on why or, indeed, what I can do to limit further damage?

Are my levels not low enough? I'm on basal insulin and 1 X Forxiga and my 14 day average is 6.1 currently.

Thanks

doug_j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been low carbing (under 40g daily) for over six months but am dismayed to find neuropathy is steadily marching upwards from my toes, now at ankle level in places. I had thought keeping my BG levels at an acceptable level (43 and 46 on the last two hba1c tests), would have helped but it seems not.

Are my levels not low enough? I'm on basal insulin and 1 X Forxiga and my 14 day average is 6.1 currently.

Thanks
Iv got the same in both feet and it has started in my hands my consultan told me that cause of it was sugars out of control

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
You might research 'Alpha lipoic acid' and 'acetyl l carnitine' these can be bought as supplements (powder form) on amazon. Actualy I think ALA may be in pill form online about 600mg per tablet.

Last edited:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also suggest getting your B12 levels checked, especially if you've been taking metformin and/or acid blockers, as a B12 deficiency gives very similar symptoms to diabetic neuropathy.

Kenny_g.v

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks
Good sugar levels are a must thats what I have been told by the db clinic

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
I think this is what is happening to me.I was diagnosed with type 2 in September 2016 and managed to get my weight down by a stone due to careful eating and going for walks when the rubbish weather lets me, but I get this horrible tingling/numbness/pain/twitching in the calf muscles and ankles at night when i lie down, I even notice my legs jump a bit, is it diabetic related? i don't have swollen ankles or anything, I have the typical legs of an apple shape, skinny and rangy.