Neuropathy and painkillers

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
One of the lead articles in today's newsletter refers to the use of pain killers in cases of neuropathy. This, for many, will involve pain from the hips down to the lower leg and, for some very unfortunate folk to the feet, making walking very difficult. Although not mentioned specifically, that I can see in previous issues, one has to be on one's guard in this respect because most painkillers are contraindicated with many medications used in connection with the care and control of Diabetes. For example, Ibuprofen, one of the finest painkillers available over the counter in most countries, was my saviour in combatting pain suffered through injury or poor circulation in the legs due to thrombosis or Diabetes. Now, because of said injury I am on Warfarin and ACE Inhibitors (in addition to the usual Metformin and Simvastatin) whereby Ibuprofen is now strictly off limits. I asked my doctor what was available to me now and he smiled and said "Methedrine" - now this drug can have serious side effects and if one exceeded say 500mg with an additional tablet it can cause respiritory failure - I know because it happened to me when seriously ill with peritonitis from a ruptured appendix. Now I am one of the lucky Type 2 Diabetics - do not know how long I have been ill but was diagnosed some 8 years ago and have good cholesterol and sugar levels - not overweight and, a recent ultrascan of kidneys, bladder, liver and pancreas, showed my organs to be in perfect shape. I should also mention that I have always had the blood pressure of (quote) "A young horse" What am I doing here then one might say? Well, I do have varying blurred vision from day to day which some members have told me it is probably due to my sugar levels at a particular time - I have tried to prove this suggestion but without success. I, through my experience with the injury to my lower leg, want to warn members that it is not just the cuts to the foot that can cause serious complications but that any severe knock/trauma to the legs especially can affect a diabetic very severely and will cause
thrombosis if not treated immediately at hospital - being in a country not known for its expertise and expensive to expats (of course) I left seeking the best help for too long. Now to qualify me for the post - can anyone tell me what painkiller can be taken effectively in mine and other members' condition? Please do not suggest Asprin.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Paracetamol? That's Tylenol in the US.
One tip my sister, a nurse, gave me is to take two different types of painkiller together. You can't overdose, and you get twice the painkiller impact.
She takes ibuprofen with paracetamol for migraine. Obviously you have to stick to NSAIDs. Some one else is bound to come along who knows more specifically. Sorry not to be more helpful.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I thought Tylenol = Tylex over here, which is a brand name of co-codamol and a prescription only medication.
Tylex® (UCB Pharma) POM
Capsules, co-codamol 30/500 (codeine phosphate 30 mg, paracetamol 500 mg).
Dose 1–2 capsules every 4 hours; max. 8 capsules daily; child under 12 years not recommended

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Dear Hobs and Spendercat,

Thankyou both so much for your suggestions all of which I will explore
with my doctor. In the past being able to take Ibuprofen made me
invincible - now frightened to get a bad headache or toothache, etc., ha
ha ha

C

catherinecherub

Hi Rob,
Co-codamol is contra indicated with Warfarin.
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/en/InitialA ... damol.ashx
I wonder if you would benefit from a small dose of Amitriptyline? This is used for depression at high doses, 100mgs upwards, but a small dose, 10-20mgs, helps with pain relief. There have been mixed reactions from people using for this purpose. It should be taken at night to help with sleep but some find that they feel groggy the following day.
There is some evidence here that they are beneficial for some patients when used as pain relief.
http://www.stoppain.org/pcd/content/problem/opioids.asp

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Tylenol in the UK (and allegedly the original US version) is Paracetamol also known as "acetaminophen".

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thankyou Catherine - I should look at the box leaflet more closely. Also will go to the two web sites you took the trouble to detail. Hopefully, one day when the clot has dissolved, I will not need to worry about contra-indicated pain relief meds.