NEUROPATHY REVERSING?

Fallenstar

Vitamin D3 is good for Diabetic Neuropathy, and I have taken this with fish oils and magnesium and zinc.. And all B vits for a good few years.but I'm sure it is the exercise and plenty of bright colorful fruit and veg...and not stuffing my face full of trans fats and over processed grains and sugars :D

lucy336

Dislikes
Being diabetic
Is this neuropathy? Sometimes my toes feel numb but from the inside and sometimes they dont. When me toes are numb my eyesight is perfect (normally im longsighted) but when my toes arent numb my eyesight is blurry and after aprx 5ft everything gets blurry.

This has been happening for years, so many I cant remember wen it started. Ive been diabetic for 12 years as a type 2. The only time I have insulin is during pregnancy but dont usually take it to be honest ( I have a fear of putting on too much weight so i control by diet ). I have three healthy kids and the largest was 6lb 10oz (mmm..big babies if i dont inject the hosp tell me?!)

I feel numbness sometimes inside my body (not my skin but like its under my skin) that comes and goes and it even affects my lower region (which is most terrifying lol). I wake up sometimes with pins n needles in some of my fingers.

Are these all signs of neuropathy do you think? There is congenital heart disease in the family but doctor says my heart is fine. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

OH P.S my optician says I have Astigmatism but Im not convinced as the blurryness is not there all the time, i suspect its linked to tiredness.

carefixer

I used to have peripheral neuropethy quite badly. While it is caused by high BGs which lead to binding of glucose to the nerve sheaths the resulting attack by the immune system upon the affected nerves is massively exacerbated by trans-fatty acids incorporated into the nerve sheathes themselves. The immune system keeps on the attacks once they have started because it recognises the artificial trans-fats as alien.

Neuropathy in my case was completely cured by replacing trans-fatty acids in my diet by natural cis-isomer form oils. After my nerve sheathes were repaired with natural fats the immune system no longer continues attacks so the neoropathy goes away.

It takes about six months.

Eat only natural fats and most especially avoid rapeseed and sunflower oil, in fact any vegetable oil, unless it is both COLD PRESSED and FARM BOTTLED.

Oh! and this banning of trans-fats from your own diet (as recommended by NICE and the BMA) will also help with type 2 which is caused entirely by trans fats. See tfx.org.uk

Reactions: 2 people

Witcher87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I know this is a rather old post, but I was directed here by someone from another forum. I've had blurred vision for a year and half, and I strongly believe that I've been feeling a bit of neuropathy for the last month and a half. I'll find out more from the neurologist this Monday. This has all got me so depressed since I am only 29 and have managed to keep weight off and exercise regularly. I used to smoke for a long time and did all the wrong things for the last two years since diagnosis. I've been struggling to find some answers, however, I never see any other sites or information out there that says you can reverse nerve damage. I'm on gabapentin and desperate for some kind of solution as I'd rather not live with this for the next 20, 30 or however long I'm alive. What did you do to restore vision and reduce or even reverse neuropathy? I feel mostly muscle aching, slight burning in my feet, some sharp pains here and there, but mainly just discomfort. I'd like to reverse this issue but have had a difficult time keeping BG levels in check. I'm doing the vegan diet, and so I'd like to know if there is a possibility that this can be reversed since so many online and my doctors tell me its irreversible and its with you for life. Especially, since research in this field doesn't seem to abundant I'm not hopeful for a cure for this sort of thing or diabetes anytime soon. Any help in any way would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for bumping a 4+ year old thread, but this was the closest thing I could find for answers.

Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I know this is a rather old post, but I was directed here by someone from another forum. I've had blurred vision for a year and half, and I strongly believe that I've been feeling a bit of neuropathy for the last month and a half. I'll find out more from the neurologist this Monday. This has all got me so depressed since I am only 29 and have managed to keep weight off and exercise regularly. I used to smoke for a long time and did all the wrong things for the last two years since diagnosis. I've been struggling to find some answers, however, I never see any other sites or information out there that says you can reverse nerve damage. I'm on gabapentin and desperate for some kind of solution as I'd rather not live with this for the next 20, 30 or however long I'm alive. What did you do to restore vision and reduce or even reverse neuropathy? I feel mostly muscle aching, slight burning in my feet, some sharp pains here and there, but mainly just discomfort. I'd like to reverse this issue but have had a difficult time keeping BG levels in check. I'm doing the vegan diet, and so I'd like to know if there is a possibility that this can be reversed since so many online and my doctors tell me its irreversible and its with you for life. Especially, since research in this field doesn't seem to abundant I'm not hopeful for a cure for this sort of thing or diabetes anytime soon. Any help in any way would be greatly appreciated.

My apologies for bumping a 4+ year old thread, but this was the closest thing I could find for answers.

Thanks
If you read more around the forum, you will find that many of us have reversed a lot of our side effects by achieving and maintaining almost normal blood glucose levels through diet and exercise. A lot of us use a low carb diet to control our levels and some have used variations of the Michael Mosley Blood Sugar Diet or the original Newcastle Diet that his diet is based on.

A good place for you to start is probably the vegetarian section of the forums:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Meanwhile, I'll also tag @daisy1 who will give you the advice for newcomers.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @Witcher87 and welcome to the forum :) In my signature there are two links - these could help you to control your levels. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

Witcher87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you read more around the forum, you will find that many of us have reversed a lot of our side effects by achieving and maintaining almost normal blood glucose levels through diet and exercise. A lot of us use a low carb diet to control our levels and some have used variations of the Michael Mosley Blood Sugar Diet or the original Newcastle Diet that his diet is based on.

A good place for you to start is probably the vegetarian section of the forums:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Meanwhile, I'll also tag @daisy1 who will give you the advice for newcomers.

Is there any way you could point me in the right direction or perhaps you know something about reversing neuropathy? I'm really losing my mind with this and would like some sort of hope at restoring my health if possible.

Thanks mate!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any way you could point me in the right direction or perhaps you know something about reversing neuropathy? I'm really losing my mind with this and would like some sort of hope at restoring my health if possible.

Thanks mate!
There are lots of posts around the forum from people who reversed their neuropathy by using a low carb diet to control BG levels. The key to reversing it is maintaining as close to normal BG levels as you can for much of the time. I had neuropathy in my feet on diagnosis and had a substantial improvement within about 3 months of low carbing and the condition has improved gradually ever since.

The key to reversing any complication is BG control - how you achieve that control is a matter of personal experimentation, but the method that worked for me was testing my BG before and after meals and aiming to keep my BG under 7.8 mmol at all times. This method is generally called "eat to your meter" and you can find more about it at:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Some people also swear by supplements to hasten the nerve repair - alpha lipoic acid is one supplement that a lot of neuropathy sufferers use. It's also wise to get your D3 and B12 levels tested as deficiencies in those vitamins can exacerbate neuropathy.

If you are new to a low carb diet, you might find the forum low carb program helpful:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/

Good luck :)

Nicole86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm new i don't know if anyone will answer because how old this page is but it's worth a shot. I been dealing with my fingers feeling like they been on fire off and on in the past the occasional numbness but this past week it started and now i can't feel anything with the tips of my fingers i can rub something and feel the imprint or design but i can't feel anything i read alot online about Diabetic nerve damage i was wondering if there's anyway of healing Diabetic neuropathy in fingers/ hands sorry for the grammar i have type 2 diabetes i use insulin and metformen pills

TillyFloss

Hi,

Thanks
Hi, I know this is a long time ago but did you manage to reverse the neuropathy and or improve your blurred vision at all? If so... how? What helped please? Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I know this is a long time ago but did you manage to reverse the neuropathy and or improve your blurred vision at all? If so... how? What helped please? Thanks
It is over 6 years since Witcher visited, so I doubt that you'll get a response, but as others have written, keeping blood glucose within as normal a range as possible can help a lot.
I have had my daily dose of Thyroxine altered after many years the same, now reduced from 200 to 125 micrograms, in stages.

Reactions: TillyFloss

TillyFloss

It is over 6 years since Witcher visited, so I doubt that you'll get a response, but as others have written, keeping blood glucose within as normal a range as possible can help a lot.
I have had my daily dose of Thyroxine altered after many years the same, now reduced from 200 to 125 micrograms, in stages.

Interesting, thanks. How did you wake up your thyroid?!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, thanks. How did you wake up your thyroid?!
No idea - I went low carb at diagnosis with type 2, which always has made me feel better than high carb - even 'healthy' foods, and once I got tested after lockdown my levels were higher than they should have been.
I have reduced from 200 micrograms of Thyroxine down to 125 in 25 microgram stages retesting every few months.