never thought I would register this forum someday

ahsan

But here I am.

Hi guys, last Friday I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes, still in little shock but I was actually expecting that since my mum have it too, but wasn't that early, still 32 8) .

Anyways, now you'll see my here quite often :) .

my blood sugar level was 14 when I was diagnosed. Cholesterol was according to doctor was good. but they gave me tablets for both.

My question is, last night I just checked my BS before going to bed and it was 24.4. I cut down suger almost completely since Friday and just taking tiny amount of sweetener, but why its so high still?

I am smoker as well unfortunately... :?

Thanks

Ahsan

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Ahsan. This is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed members.

What is your typical day's diet ?

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid or reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such a bread, potatoes, pasta and rice also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating then two hours after eating you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

Please have a good read round the forum and ask us questions.
The high bg you had could be down to what you ate for your evening meal. What did you have to eat ?

ahsan

Thanks for wonderful advice.

But my nurse gave me documents which says totally opposite, mean eat more starchy food, rice, potatoes, pasta etc :|

Aprox 3 hours before I checked my BS I had fried rice with chicken.

I read somewhere on internet that if you crosses 400 (US level) go to hospital.. but I did not felt anything although meter showed me 440 or 24.4. Mean no physical difference, just like normal.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
ahsan said:
Thanks for wonderful advice.

But my nurse gave me documents which says totally opposite, mean eat more starchy food, rice, potatoes, pasta etc :|

Aprox 3 hours before I checked my BS I had fried rice with chicken.

I read somewhere on internet that if you crosses 400 (US level) go to hospital.. but I did not felt anything although meter showed me 440 or 24.4.

That's just it Ahsan. You have top look at the advice and then see just what will work for you.

This Forum doesn't always agree with mainstream Dietary advice. You need to test frequently as Sue has stated and see what is good/bad for you.

That dietary advice from the NHS here nearly killed me. It was only by doing what is recommended here that I turned my life around and got a life again. confusing, isn't it !

As this is a UK based site we use UK numbers here which are mmol/l. If using the mg/dl you have to divide by 18 to get mmol/l. We prefer that as it helps us and other members

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Welcome Ahsan,

The other thing I keep reading is that smoking is not recommended for diabetics either.

There is a thread on this forum with some tips and advice on giving up cigarettes which you may find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11249

ahsan

many thanks guys, some really useful tips on this forum, enjoying reading them.

I used to smoke 40 a day few years back, gradually cut down to 10, and since last 2 weeks cutting down to 5 now... so eventually stop someday soon, hopefully.

by the way do I have to inform DVLA and my car insurer for this? I see on DVLA website that they don't need to know for tablets diabetes, but what about car insurer?

you know last night I check my BS level before night meal, it was 6.4, I was very surprised, than 2 hours after meal it was 19.6, this morning before brk fast, 13,, i am bit confused why there is so much variation?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Car Insurers should always be informed. Stops them from invalidating your Insurance when you make a claim.

you know last night I check my BS level before night meal, it was 6.4, I was very surprised, than 2 hours after meal it was 19.6, this morning before brk fast, 13,, i am bit confused why there is so much variation?

What was the meal you ate, how many carbs ?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ahsan welcome to the forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will kindly post some excellent information for you.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tipetoo haha well spotted! I didn't realise. Thanks for pointing it out. Haha trust me!