New bread by Hovis

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Burgen Soya and Linseed bread which has proper man-sized 44g slices with 11.8g of carb per slice.
I tend to use Kingsmill no crusts 7.4g carb per slice and 45 cals per slice
https://groceries.asda.com/product/small-loaves/warburtons-medium-wholemeal-bread/34540 9.0 carbs per slice,
Morrisons high protein loaf is lower at 8 grams per slice. I compared both loaves a couple of months ago.
I use Hi lo bread which at 5g carbs a slice is half the Hovis one and doesnt spike me, the Livelife bread is also ok

I just grouped them together to save me writing them down for when I next go to Morrisons/Lidl/Sainsbury/Asda/Tesco/Wherever.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant bear the texture of seeded bread. or granary, with all those little bits of gritty stuff = yeuk.
I am the same I hate seedy bread and the Lidl Rolls horrible. My T2 husband likes them though and he has the Bergen Linseed and Soya bread but even before diabetes he always had seedy bread he loves it

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I either have Tesco’s high protein bread - 9g per slice or Hovis multi seeded (in the orange packet) which is 13g per slice. 1 know the Hovis is higher in carbs for most people but I seem to be ok on it.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have just seen this new bread which is lower carb.

Has anyone else seen it?

A bit pricey as im used to a bigger loaf for less.
1bcceb5f5223aef666b91ce2a323f989.jpg

Steve
I have never noticed that. I probably should stick with Hovis Soft White. 36g carbohydrate. Too little carbs I think. It does look nice though.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
There was a program on tv I think which tested the new hovis loaf and there is no low carb about it just smaller slices, hence less carbs because of this. K

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you check the carbs given on the label and compare it to other breads of the same size there is very little difference except in the price.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
If you check the carbs given on the label and compare it to other breads of the same size there is very little difference except in the price.
Hi Billy7764 Their is a regular programme on tv the name eludes me for the moment and it took a new hovis loaf to this bakery laboratory and they concluded the flour was the same has other flours and you cannot remove carbs from flour, the only way to reduce carbs was make the slices smaller and that is what hovis has done !K
The programme was last weeks Fake Britain

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy7764

Hairydavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the Burgen Soya and Linseed bread - it makes a proper thick cut sandwich with only 2 x 11.8g of carb per sandwich. But those blasted seeds get stuck in my teeth, which is a bit embarrassing if I'm at work! So if I make a sandwich for work I use the Hovis Lower Carb which is also nice and makes a nearly normal size sandwich (36 gram per slice as opposed to Burgen's 44 grams per slice) at 2 x 9.9g of carbs per sandwich.
I use the Bergen at home for eggs and beans on toast - marvellous :)

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried this Hovis bread (from Waitrose) yesterday and made sure to keep the number of slices down to two - 67grams so it lasts a bit longer. I suspect portion control is very important and I would not feel happy eating four slices at a time.
I found it very tasty indeed and two slices plus two Sardines did not make my figures go up and fitted in nicely with keeping carbs intake down to 150 per day.
BUT I suspect it is still HIGH on the GI and if someone can confirm that then I will stick mostly to the Rye Bread or Rye/Wheat Boules from Morrisons and Waitrose and use this as an occasional treat.
My fasting level was 4.8 this morning which is certainly mot high.

Sonnyboy123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use Lidls 'Low GI Cob' at £1.19. I have a couple of thick slices a day with butter and it keeps my levels within the limits ok. It is seeded however, but I love it. So tasty. They do low GI rolls (same bread) also which I like.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Lidls 'Low GI Cob' at £1.19. I have a couple of thick slices a day with butter and it keeps my levels within the limits ok. It is seeded however, but I love it. So tasty. They do low GI rolls (same bread) also which I like.
The might be low GI but they are definitely not low carb unfortunately.