New BS Tester

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horse Racing, loud pop music
Please do not consider this as an advert but I felt I had to share this.

I have used BS Testers for years, pricking my finger, geting a test strip out of the box and then throwing it away, that is until my old one stopped working after 5 years.
My diabetic nurse gave me a new one an Accu Mobile (Black)), It is without doubt the best one I ever used.

The pen pricker and the test unit stay together no need for them to separate them. Strips totally 50 are in the unit and roll onto next check when you turn it off. You just prick your finger then with the monitor turned on you place your blood onto the strip - and wallah its done. Memory saves it, info gives you averages or all the past readings, and plug it in with the supplied usb lead and it all appears in bar style and list of past months readings.

This is not an advert for Accu just wanted to share it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Used the Accu-Chek Mobile when it first came out, found it too bulky and difficult to handle tbh, but I believe the most recent models are much improved so it's good that you've found a meter that you like Stattovic.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
oh I so wish the test strips were free for most T2s, but alas... You must be lucky or really unlucky in a strange way as you are on insulin

Stattovic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horse Racing, loud pop music
oh I so wish the test strips were free for most T2s, but alas... You must be lucky or really unlucky in a strange way as you are on insulin

I though in the uk all diabetics get free prescriptions. Although I am now 70 and get them free as an old git, I was first diagnosed 40 years ago and was told from then on it was free,

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I though in the uk all diabetics get free prescriptions. Although I am now 70 and get them free as an old git, I was first diagnosed 40 years ago and was told from then on it was free,

Not all do and some type 2's find it difficult to get test strips on prescription. You would be entitled anyway here in the UK as your an insulin user.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also given an Accu-chek Mobile with a cassette of 50 strips. However, as a Type 2 not on medication I have to pay for replacement cassettes. I am also entitled to free prescriptions, being over 60, but my surgery will not prescribe them for me. From a pharmacy they cost £25 per cassette, so £25 for 50 strips. I couldn't agree more that it is a very convenient and easy to use meter, with no handling of strips needed, but cost is also important so I changed to a meter with the cheapest strips. I still have my Accu-chek and would much prefer to use it, but sadly my bank manager doesn't agree. :(

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ask the surgery about free test strips.

I'm T2 and get 100 strips a month on prescription which aren't enough so in between times I buy extra ones online. I've been away and went into the chemist to collect my overdue prescription today only to find that they haven't ordered me any on prescription since July. When I asked if I could still have the back order, I was told no. I could only have the 100 for this month. Not happy :mad:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 and get 100 strips a month on prescription which aren't enough so in between times I buy extra ones online. I've been away and went into the chemist to collect my overdue prescription today only to find that they haven't ordered me any on prescription since July. When I asked if I could still have the back order, I was told no. I could only have the 100 for this month. Not happy :mad:

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end for your 100 strips, Diana.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't know just how lucky you are!!

I'm an old age pensioner (type 2 on metformin) and get all my prescriptions free, but no way will they give me any test strips. I've asked several times (actually at every appointment so far!) about getting them on prescription and have been quoted the oft heard refrain "Type 2 diabetics don't need to test....". So there's no alternative except to buy my own, and I have still been told I shouldn't be testing, though at my last checkup our practice diabetic doctor, did allow that "... it's all right if you're just doing it as a hobby..." I despair...

@dianagrace: I've never had the luxury of seeing a dietician, although my own GP did suggest trying the Atkins diet, otherwise I might never have considered a low carb diet.

Robbity

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
You don't know just how lucky you are!!

I'm an old age pensioner (type 2 on metformin) and get all my prescriptions free, but no way will they give me any test strips. I've asked several times (actually at every appointment so far!) about getting them on prescription and have been quoted the oft heard refrain "Type 2 diabetics don't need to test....". So there's no alternative except to buy my own, and I have still been told I shouldn't be testing, though at my last checkup our practice diabetic doctor, did allow that "... it's all right if you're just doing it as a hobby..." I despair...

@dianagrace: I've never had the luxury of seeing a dietician, although my own GP did suggest trying the Atkins diet, otherwise I might never have considered a low carb diet.

Robbity

This so infuriates me all these so called professionals banging on about the problems arising from type 2 and they won't issues sticks or help with diets etc is this brushing under the carpet or pure ignorance to the complications

Reactions: 4 people
G

graj0

My GPs surgery actually took the decision not to supply test strips on prescription to type II diabetics not on insulin in the last year. You will also find that some type II diabetics these days are even being told that they don't need to test. We know differently though.