bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought i'd try this today.
Whole caulflower.
Stripped off the outer leaves added whole to boiling water for 8 minutes.
Melted some ghee 50g and added a couple of tablespoons of curry powder
Drain cauli and leave to stand for 10-15 minutes to dry off a bit (could put somewhere warm to assist)
Paint on ghee and curry powder mixture until cauli all yellow if any mix left pour over top
Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes at 240
The leaves burn a bit and go crisp and the rest takes on a warm mild curry flavour
Went down well with the family for lunch today as a veg dish alongside roast rib of beef with a chilli garlic and bay paste coating
I had quite a lot!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Whole caulflower.
Drain cauli and leave to stand for 10-15 minutes to dry off a bit (could put somewhere warm to assist)
Paint on ghee and curry powder mixture until cauli all yellow if any mix left pour over top
The leaves burn a bit and go crisp and the rest takes on a warm mild curry flavour
Went down well with the family for lunch today as a veg dish alongside roast rib of beef with a chilli garlic and bay paste coating
I had quite a lot!
Sounds good. Have you seen the recipe for Perfect roast cauli in Thursdays Guardian? Just google it with the name Felicity Cloake.

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
Baked curried cauli - that sounds pretty good - must give it a go.

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good. Have you seen the recipe for Perfect roast cauli in Thursdays Guardian? Just google it with the name Felicity Cloake.
Yeah thats kind of what I based mine on with the ghee and curry addition.. I'm a bit of an adaptor..

Reactions: covknit

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whole caulflower.
I had quite a lot!

Bulkbiker - This one works, without the boiling part: http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower-indian-spice/

I've also done a "thing" roasting cailflower florets, having firstly tossed them in herbs/spices, and then grating over some Parmesan cheese. The roasted Parmesan adds a little something, and crisps it somewhat. Depending on the spice mis used, it's almost like a crispy pakora, without the gram flour.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some frozen in the freezer but haven't tried roasting it yet... I bought it to make mash.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bulkbiker - This one works, without the boiling part: http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower-indian-spice/

I've also done a "thing" roasting cailflower florets, having firstly tossed them in herbs/spices, and then grating over some Parmesan cheese. The roasted Parmesan adds a little something, and crisps it somewhat. Depending on the spice mis used, it's almost like a crispy pakora, without the gram flour.
I tried just roasting it before but got a hard core left which wasn't very nice to eat.. the boiling I think cooks it almost through and the roasting finishes it off nicely. The core was still firm but very edible and the florets were soft but not floppy. I'd definitely cook it that way again.

Pauntiep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I just bought cauliflower rice for the first time, never tried it before

I'll wait until diarrhoea has settled down though, just had some minced beef - first food I've eaten since yesterday morning.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought cauliflower rice for the first time, never tried it before

I'll wait until diarrhoea has settled down though, just had some minced beef - first food I've eaten since yesterday morning.
I love cauliflower rice. I fry in a bit of coconut oil and you can then add any spices / herbs / seeds of your choice.

Reactions: Pauline2015

Pauline2015

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love cauliflower rice. I fry in a bit of coconut oil and you can then add any spices / herbs / seeds of your choice.
Do you have to grate the cauliflower or can you just do it with the florets? I found it very messy grating the cauliflower last time I did it and bought a pouch of cauli rice from morrisons but at nearly £2 a pouch and not very much in it I really don't want to buy it again.

Pauline x

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have to grate the cauliflower or can you just do it with the florets? I found it very messy grating the cauliflower last time I did it and bought a pouch of cauli rice from morrisons but at nearly £2 a pouch and not very much in it I really don't want to buy it again.

Pauline x
I put it in the blender and pulse until the size of rice grains but don't over do it!

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pauline2015 I usually make my own but Asda sell fresh cauli rice, it's £1 for a 400g pouch and it freezes well. (I buy it and freeze it if I see it in the in the 'dent' section as a back up too, the last pouch cost me 38p).

I tip a pouch into a glass jug, microwave it for 3 mins, stir and give it another 3mins. it's then either ready to be blitzed with butter and cream and a bit of garlic salt and black pepper to use as mash, or I leave it to cool uncovered which dries it out nicely ready to be used as cauli rice. I brown some thinly sliced shallots and some garlic in a mix of olive oil and butter and add some chopped pepper (whatever colour I have) to soften then bung in the cauli to reheat gently, season and eat. Sometimes I use it to do egg fried 'rice' this way too. Pre cooking and cooling the cauli helps to stop it being soggy.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
We just had a Massiman Chicken curry with someone's cauli rice. I'd give the credit if I could remember who's recipe it was. It's the one with coconut milk, coriander and lime zest. The combination with the curry was a winner. I'll try it again with a Thai green curry next time.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One of the things that keeps me LCHF (apart from the miraculous weight loss) is that cauli is just delicious and a great substitute for all sorts of carby stuff. Miss mashed potatoes? Try mashed cauli with plenty of butter, cheese and black pepper and you'll never go back. Works brilliantly on top of a cottage pie.

For a curry, hubby and I actually prefer riced cauli to regular rice. It does exactly the same job - soaks up the sauce and provides a base - but has few carbs and a much higher nutritional value. No downside. :D

So easy to rice it - take out the hard core and stick the florets in a blender until it's about the same texture as rice. My Nutribullet does a very nice job in seconds. Steam, roast or, my fave, stir fry for a few minutes and it's done.

I'm not quite as fond of spiralised courgette as a sub for pasta, but it does the job.

Reactions: Ultramum