New diagnosed and confused

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have recently been diagnosed with type 2. I want to try the keto diet to lose weight and try n get off medication but I am finding it all very confusing! I live with my parents and they aren't very encouraging either so it's going to be hard for me, even tho my mum has type 1 and dad type 2. I am determined to get fit & healthy and every time I mention trying low carbs they just roll there eyes and tell me to be quiet.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat low carb, and have normal blood glucose levels, and no medication.
Last November I was a full blown diabetic.
I don't think anything could be clearer than that.
The losing weight is a side effect, the main aim should be to normalise blood glucose and get Hba1c down to below even pre-diabetic levels.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @xlisa23x ,

Welcome to the forum! What medication are you prescribed for your diabetes?
With regards to your parents.? You can only follow your own path with the diet..

Tagging in @daisy1

But more advice will follow..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, living with and being at the mercy of parents as far as eating goes isn't easy, but as your parents are also diabetic perhaps they should take on board a low carb diet. Your T2 dad could well see a lot of benefits, particularly in reducing any meds he is taking. Maybe direct them to this forum so they can read for themselves the success stories, and also the science behind low carb.

Do they do all the cooking? If so, eat what they eat but leave out the carbs and eat more of the veggies plus some healthy fats.

What you need is a blood glucose meter if you haven't already got one. You can then show them what your levels are like after your meals. They will be in for a shock no doubt. A meter is an essential tool to help you with your food choices by testing before you eat and 2 hours after first bite, keeping a food diary including portion sizes, and recording your levels alongside the food. After a while, patterns will appear showing you which foods are OK for you and which are not.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @xlisa23x and welcome to the forum. It is all a bit confusing when you are first diagnosed, but you will get a lot of support and good advice on here. Do you know what your HbA1c (blood sugar reading) was on your test?
I don't know anything about keto diets, but I think there is a section about that.
A lot of us on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our blood sugar levels.
Have a read round the threads and ask any questions you want to.

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am metformin but am having some side effects atm i do have a blood glucose meter. I am thinking I will take over the cooking and remove high carb foods if they like it or not lol I am keeping a food diary now. I am very overweight and am desperate to lose weight I have lost 4 stone already due to me being undiagnosed and I want to continue losing it I think my HbA1c was like 15 I'm not sure. My highest reading was 28 n I tested it this morning and it was the 15.8 so it's slowly getting better.

Lisa

Reactions: kokhongw and Prem51

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi I am metformin but am having some side effects atm i do have a blood glucose meter. I am thinking I will take over the cooking and remove high carb foods if they like it or not lol I am keeping a food diary now. I am very overweight and am desperate to lose weight I have lost 4 stone already due to me being undiagnosed and I want to continue losing it I think my HbA1c was like 15 I'm not sure. My highest reading was 28 n I tested it this morning and it was the 15.8 so it's slowly getting better.

Lisa
You must of felt terrible when your BGs were running high anything above 15 and most of us feel it (lack of energy). Taking over the cooking is a pretty good strategy. It's too bad that your parents seem to trivialize the low carb approach - maybe you can be sneaky and say you're just going to cook and not tell them the low carb part. :) I'm a Type 1 and it's been very beneficial to me in regard to BG levels, quality of sleep and stuff like that. With your mum being type 1 it will benefit her too, won;t cure her but may improve both her physical and mental disposition. There's lots of low carbers on these forums so I suspect you will be getting some very valuable advice.

All the best!

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your parents are taking glucose lowering medication - your type 1 mum must be on insulin, then you'll need to tell them the carb content of the meals you are planning to cook - changing mashed potato to mashed cauliflower, for instance is a huge difference in the amount of carbs. Adding in cream or cheese alters the timing of the glucose rise too, so some adaption will be required.
I found that lowering the carb content of my menu resulted in swift and easy weightloss for the first time in my life, and after trying to do various diets over the years I always go back to low carb as it is the only one that works.
The important thing is to control the diabetes, but the side effect of weightloss is a very welcome one.

xlisa23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I felt fine. Maybe just a little tired, I was drinking and urinating a lot more n tht was about it.

Lisa

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the group.
I think that many of us can understand completely what it's like to live with relatives who can't quite get with the dietary changes required. (My husband cannot/will not do low carb. He thinks that he's going to be hungry and have no energy... little does he know!).
The main thing is that you can take control of your own diet and make your own decisions. I find that it's quite easy to adapt meals to suit both diets. For example, I generally replace my starchy carbs with plenty of low carb veg... so we'll eat the same meat/fish/whatever, but he'll have potatoes/chips/rice and I'll have cauliflower or greens.

If you can adopt a lower carb diet you will see those figures drop quite quickly, and the weight will follow too.

Reactions: Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@xlisa23x

Hello Lisa and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope it will be useful to you. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.