New Diagnosed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning everyone

I hope that everyone is well and that you are having a good weekend. I would just like to introduce myself. My name is Shannon Berridge and I was Diagnosed on June 20th 2017 with Type 1. It has been an interesting month learning about the condition and what is required to control the glucose levels.

May I ask one question. I have a freestyle libre and at 2am this morning, the sensor has decided to just give me the status of low but not a reading. Has anyone had this before? Im going to assume that the sensor has failed.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I want to wish you all a fantastic day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Shannon_Berridge and welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question as I don't have the Freestyle Libre, but I expect someone who does will be along to help you soon.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Shannon_Berridge
welcome to the forum !! :)

if I get a LO reading on my libre sensor ( I have had this happen a couple of times )
I immediately check my blood glucose using my testing meter for confirmation of a sensor issue or a very low hypo that needs immediate attention.

hope this helps !!

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think "lo" means you have gone too low and really need to take some action. Did you feel like you were having a hypo?
My response would be to retest straight away. I got lo once but I think it was just a mis-test as when I redid it I was in the normal range.

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Shannon_Berridge ! Hope all's going well - hope your first month has been been not too much of a head spin!

Assuming your blood glucose meter isn't in agreement with the 'LO' it is likely to be a sensor failure. Do check your blood, though!

I have had this happen once with my Libre - and it was a sensor fail. Customer services were extremely helpful and sent he a replacement sensor free of charge.

Leave the sensor on, and ring Abbott (although I'm not sure they're open at weekends - might be, though). They'll want to ask you some questions about it.

Mine failed for no obvious reason - the guy said it was likely that the filament within the probe had found its way out of my skin, but there was nothing obvious to see.

In 18 months of using the system continuously I have had just the one sensor failure. Please don't lose confidence in the system!

Love Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shannon_Berridge . Welcome to the forum. I'm not a freestyle libre user, so can't really offer anything that @Snapsy or @himtoo . haven't already.
As a newbie there's a lot to learn. I'm hoping that you back up your libre with traditional finger pricking results.
Finger pricking gives a more accurate BS reading of where you are actually at in that moment of time. The libre is great for showing trends and how you are controlling your sugars over an extended period of time ( apologies if I'm mistaken).
One thing you may want to try as you get into being diabetic is going with your gut feeling, I do it most of the time.
Whenever I do BS test I pre-guess the result. Doing this and being able to predict the reading gives me more confidence and a better understanding of how I " feel" throughout the day.
I guess what I'm trying to tell you is , listen to what your body is telling you about your levels then back this up with the technical information. Don't just rely on the technical information.
Again welcome and keep posting, there's a wealth of knowledge to be had from the people here.