New dianosis - confused

Willberry

Hi, my husband was diagnosed last night and we have so far been given no information at all not even type (I'm assuming 2 based on my limited medical knowledge as an HPC) he has been advised to see his GP next week and look online for information about diabetes in the mean time. I'm not very happy at the moment as his psychiatrist had the blood tests done months ago as part of routine screning (his psychiatric meds cause weight gain and increase risk of diabetes amongst other things) yet he was only told this week that the results showed high blood sugar (not given the figures) and he should see his GP. The GP was significantly concerned by the results to send him straight to hospital at 6pm last night (assuming this is not standard practice for a new diagnosis) at 8.30pm the doctors confirmed diagnosis and reassured us there was no immediate danger and to return to the GP next week to discuss management.

My husband is in shock not only from the diabetes diagnosis but also from an additional psychiatric diagnosis we were unaware of that was included by the GP in the referal letter to the hospital.

Other than cutting out refined sugar we have no idea what we should be doing although I am picking up a lot of useful info on here. I already care for him from a mental health perspective and although he is well at the moment, he needs prompting with medicaton when he is less well he struggles with basic daily functioning such as remembering to eat regularly which I imagine doesnt help. I want to learn as much as I can to help him manage the diabetes and stay as well as posible both physically and mentally. Any advice about where to start when I do the food shop this weekend is very welcome.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Wilberry and welcome to the forum. It does sound like he probably has Type 2 diabetes - has he been prescribed any medication for Diabetes?
If it is Type 2 apart from cutting out refined sugar he should cut out all sugary stuff like chocolate, sweets, cakes and biscuits. And sugary drinks. But also he should cut down or limit starchy carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. And beer.
Starchy carbohydrates turn to sugars quickly in our bodies, so not good for Type 2s.
Proteins like meat and fish are ok. Most above ground vegetables are ok, but underground veg like potatoes and carrots can be high in sugars and carbs. Eggs, dairy products, nuts, avocados, olive oil and olives are good.
Most fruits, especially tropical fruits are high in sugar (fructose) and should be avoided, but berries are usually ok.

When you go shopping you should read the nutrition information on the label of processed foods.. You should choose foods which are less than 10 gms of carbohydrates per 100 gms, ie less than 10% carbs.
Less than 5 gms of carbohydrates per 100 gms is best, ie less than 5% carbs.
It is a bit difficult at first checking food labels, but you will soon get to know which foods are ok.

Last edited:

Willberry

Thank you, thats useful advice. He's not been put on any medication yet, the hospital Dr advised him to see his GP to discuss management next week but said medication was likely. I've remembered when they tested his finger it was 18 at the GPs and 14 by the time the hospital checked.

We hadn't realised about carbohydrates and fruit, he will be even more gutted :-( he loves his food and is on medication that makes him hungry all the time. Still we will adapt and be healthier.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The medication may well be adding to his blood sugar level - many drugs do. Yes, all carbs need to be kept under control. Do have some fruit but avoid tropical ones. Proteins and fats are OK as well as most veg etc so you can still enjoy many foods. If your husband has some excess weight then a T2 diagnosis is probably correct but if he is slim then T1 is always a possibility but the GP should check for that if needed. I'll tag @daisy1 to provide some good information for Newbies.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb foods can be delicious - I tried a roast potato a few days ago and am still wondering why they are considered to be an essential part of Christmas dinner.
I still eat salad stuff in the cold weather but have it as a side dish to something hot or even just after coffee.
Mushrooms, cauliflower, courgette, sweet peppers, turnips, cabbage, sprouts, bean sprouts are all fine for low carb - and a lot of other things too.
There are a lot of clever recipes for lower carb alternatives to the really high carb things. I might get round to making some small mince pies with very thin low carb 'pastry' and a small amount of mince meat - and for Christmas dinner Yorkshire puddings made with three eggs, bread flour (high protein) and cream plus a little water to thin it down. Small amounts of lower carb fruits should be OK - but it is essential to check what does and does not spike blood glucose - it is not the same for everyone, and different meals can make a difference, fattier foods for instance - a chicken breast fillet is not the same as chicken thighs even when eaten with the same veges - it lacks fat.
I'll tag @daisy1 for a more comprehensive post with advice on all sorts.
When I have been eating low carbs for a while I do feel a lot better than when on a 'normal' diet - I have been low carbing since the 70s but was only diagnosed type 2 last year. A brain working on ketones rather than sugar seems to be better able to cope with stress and anxiety, and when in ketosis appetite does tend to be suppressed so it might perhaps help your husband in other ways, not just blood glucose control.
I'd advise sending off for your own BG meter - you can get one mail order with cheap strips - I don't have the information but I am certain that it is on the forum somewhere - and there is a discount code too to get money off pots of strips.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What we say here can be very different from person to person because we are all so different we can only say what we do personally which can vary a lot and often not an official diabetes diet but just how each of us choose to manage our diabetes. Many here do very low carb and higher fat others have more carbs and prefer to have lower fat and others may choose a totally different way altogether there are no rules so it is mostly trial and error to find what suits us

Reactions: Crystalwand

Willberry

My husband is quite overweight - a well know side effect of his psychiatric medication. Blood glucose monitoring sounds like a good plan to work out what works for him. I'm sure we will find delicious alternitives to our current meals its just looking quite overfacing at present. I'm cautious about the idea of high fat as as he has young heart disease in his family.

Willberry

Ok my hubby has come home from work and reported feeling dizzy faint and shakey today. He is blaming this on reducing his sugar intake. Is this a common thing? Is it something we should be worried about. He's also feling very low about the diagnosis, which I suppose is to be expected.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My husband is quite overweight - a well know side effect of his psychiatric medication. Blood glucose monitoring sounds like a good plan to work out what works for him. I'm sure we will find delicious alternitives to our current meals its just looking quite overfacing at present. I'm cautious about the idea of high fat as as he has young heart disease in his family.
Ok my hubby has come home from work and reported feeling dizzy faint and shakey today. He is blaming this on reducing his sugar intake. Is this a common thing? Is it something we should be worried about. He's also feling very low about the diagnosis, which I suppose is to be expected.

Firstly the dizzy and shaky. You really need to test his BG levels with a finger prick and a BG monitor. You will then know if it is due to lower sugar. There is a thing called a "false hypo" where you get symptoms of low blood sugar when you don't actually have low blood sugar. You just have lower blood sugar than your body is used to. Lower blood sugar is GOOD!!

Food. Forget almost everything you have been told until today, especially about fat.
A good breakfast is bacon, eggs, sausage (90% pork or higher), mushrooms and tomato. As much as you can eat.
Good snacks for the munchies are strong cheddar wrapped in ham, hard boiled eggs.
A large steak with green vegetables is superb. Chips are off the menu, sadly.

Bad things are sandwiches (because of the bread), muesli, fruit juice, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes - almost anything beige.:)

Anything labelled low fat is probably bad for a diabetic. Double cream is good. Butter is good. Margarine is bad and so is skimmed milk.

You can eat like a King (or Queen) until you are full to busting without eating any major carbohydrates, so you don't have to suffer at all.

Please note this is my personal view - and I really enjoy my food.:happy:

The main thing is not to panic and take it slow and steady. The first few weeks (months, years) it will all seem strange and you won't know what is happening. It takes a long while to understand how Hubby's body reacts to foods and in the first few weeks every little detail will seem like a major issue. Chill. No biggie. You can both handle it and still enjoy life. Look around the site for loads of useful information. Post what you are currently eating together and we will try and suggest small changes which might help. A new diagnosis is a downer but you will soon realise that it is all manageable.

Reactions: Hwad and Prem51

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I notice it is said above that skimmed milk is bad. Why? and what about semi skimmed or Soya milk? I was told just to avoid full fat milk which i had not drunk for 20 years anyway.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Diagnosis is always a shock. Take a step back, don't panic, enjoy the successes and remember that tomorrow is another day when things don't quite work out. You have both made a good start by coming here and cutting out sugary foods, including tropical fruit. Next get yourself a meter so that you know what effect different foods have, some people can tolerate some root vegetables others can't, some find bread is totally out, others can tolerate some. The only way to find out is right for you is to test at least twice, there are so many variables. By cutting down on the carbohydrates you will probably find that weight loss follows, it may mean a few days of feeling lacking in energy until the fat burning kicks in but it will come.

Remember you have each other which is so much more than some of us, so count your blessings and enjoy the good times and laugh loads.

Willberry

Thank you.

We don't have a glucose meter to test blood sugar yet though we will be getting one.

I've just done the shop which was tricky but I have some meal plans so you can let me know if I'm on the right track.

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese
Cottage pie with sweet potato mash instead of potato
Tuna pasta bake with wholemeal pasta (I know this isn't great but already have the ingredients in the cupboard)
Spicey bean burgers with wholegrain rice
Stuffed peppers
Salmon with leeks in some kind of sauce.

For lunches I have planned cold meat and salad wraps

Breakfasts either shredded wheat, porridge or natural yoghurt.

Snacks/treats dark chocolate (70% cocoa) salted popcorn, water melon, melon, berries, apples and unsalted nuts. Also got the ingredients for the mince pie recipie on here to try to cheer hubby up and show him he can still have some treats.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As said here some people will not eat any pasta rice or cereals even wholemeal or any fruit except berries but that is not everyone and your husband may be able to eat smaller portions of them we just can't say what he can or can't eat ... example my T2 husband eats porridge every day for breakfast and he has a banana every day after his early evening main meal and he is fine with them but others may not be. That is how it is with foods what one person can eat another may not be able to because we are all different. Take it slowly as reducing to much carb stuff all at once can cause what some call ..carb flu.. carb withdrawal symptoms

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Willberry

Hello Willberry and welcome to the Forum
Here is the Basic Information we give to new members (if you haven't already seen it) and I hope you will find it interesting and useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 259,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
'Wholemeal' bread is the same as white bread for those with Type 2 Diabetes, it is still carbohydrate. The same goes for wholemeal rice and pasta. Having said that, please do not change things too quickly, take your time and ease into the changes. The shock of diagnosis coupled with a too major change in diet can actually make some people feel rather ill (I did it too quickly and almost ended up shutting down and considering ignoring the whole Diabetes problem). Please read around the forum and make small changes as you and your hubby are learning about the condition. As you lower the carb intake (refined sugar should be your first goal but done gradually) you will see significant benefit as regards blood glucose levels which you will see when you get a meter. Good luck.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.

We don't have a glucose meter to test blood sugar yet though we will be getting one.

I've just done the shop which was tricky but I have some meal plans so you can let me know if I'm on the right track.

Cauliflower and broccoli cheese
Cottage pie with sweet potato mash instead of potato
Tuna pasta bake with wholemeal pasta (I know this isn't great but already have the ingredients in the cupboard)
Spicey bean burgers with wholegrain rice
Stuffed peppers
Salmon with leeks in some kind of sauce.

For lunches I have planned cold meat and salad wraps

Breakfasts either shredded wheat, porridge or natural yoghurt.

Snacks/treats dark chocolate (70% cocoa) salted popcorn, water melon, melon, berries, apples and unsalted nuts. Also got the ingredients for the mince pie recipie on here to try to cheer hubby up and show him he can still have some treats.

I would recommend joining the low carb program

https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

Willberry

Thanks for everyones input it is really helpful. So far today omelet for breakfast, ham salad wrap and watermellon for lunch, planning cottage pie with sweet potato top for tea and going to attempt a cake with almond flour.

Hubby keeps realising things that he can't eat and I keep suggesting tasty things he can. On the plus side we started cutting out refined sugar on Tuesday when his CPN told him his blood sugar was high and he needed to see his GP and I've already lost a few pounds so wouldn't be surprised if he has too.

The more I learn about diabetes the more I realise that a lot of the things we had put down to side effects of his meds may have actually been diabetes. Sleepiness, hunger, night sweats. He's also gone through episodes of vomiting regularly over the last few years and something in the back of my mind is telling me that vomiting is associated with ketoacidosis - the body removing stomach acid in an atemp to correct it's ph if I remember rightly.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on cutting out the refined sugar that is a good start and will make a big difference. Cottage pie sounds good a lot here have sweet potatoes. When I make a cottage pie which I make with Quorn mince.....I don't eat red meat so beef mince is out...I use a mixture of sweet potato and celeriac or swede for the topping with plenty of cheese sprinkled on top...yummy and one of our favourites