New Freestyle Flash monitor.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds ****, frankly. :-(
Like needing an HCP code to unlock the bolus wizard on meters, only much worse.

Who decided it was a good idea to hide data from patients, or throw good data away? That's really upsetting.

Yes it's worrying me now as I was planning on self funding and looking after myself! My consultant has left and the hospital don't have a backup plan so I'm currently going it alone ... Don't know what to do now :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have heard from my consultant who thinks that the libre will be funded thru nhs and conditions to get one will be lesser than for a cgm....

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have heard from my consultant who thinks that the libre will be funded thru nhs and conditions to get one will be lesser than for a cgm....

"Thinks" is not definite though...she is still trying to read and understand.. And is concerned at non calibrating with blood. Admits that she has to read up on it etc.... Not definite for funding.. But her thoughts...

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Too many questions to ask my consultant at the moment as she works horrendous hours, on calls etc and is not up todate on all the info at the moment. Initially she thought funding would be an issue but then on her 2nd email she said " think the sensor is £40 per pack, so £80 per month which in the long run is not bad.. The cost is much cheaper than CGM. It will be available in NHS and I think at a much relaxed usage criteria than CGM (the purpose of Abbott come up with this is to catch this pre CGM market)...."

It is still down to the CCG's not the hospital though. She had no hesitation at giving me a cgm.. But my ccg wouldn't fund it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the next few weeks I am going to find out more from CCG but I am doing from the point of view that this is useful to all type 1's and could save money from unplanned admissions, especially youngsters that like gadgets and compare to blood strips and CGM's.

I'm hopeless at trying to find out from different postings the costs of running a CGM and the cost of this gadget and the cost of strips to compare. If the prices were all available in one post I could copy and paste and draft a letter up. But working out prices is **** for me!!

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the next few weeks I am going to find out more from CCG but I am doing from the point of view that this is useful to all type 1's and could save money from unplanned admissions, especially youngsters that like gadgets and compare to blood strips and CGM's.

I'm hopeless at trying to find out from different postings the costs of running a CGM and the cost of this gadget and the cost of strips to compare. If the prices were all available in one post I could copy and paste and draft a letter up. But working out prices is **** for me!!

Numbers are my thing :) let me know if you want me to calculate the cost of my bits and bobs, just standard finger pricks for me.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I can do the Animas Vibe costs if you want.

For the Libre the various posts disagree a lot on what the costs are. Can we say £40 per 2 weeks for the sensor plus £50 one off for the Libre? Ignoring any starter pack prices as those don't really matter long term.

Is @daniT1D doing the fingerprick costs? Should we assume the cheap strip costs for the cheap standard meters they are moving people to? Or is that only T2s that are being moved to cheap meters?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's going to come down to: how much fingerprick testing can you do for £3/day? And is that too little testing, or is it enough.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think we need to base it on ones we use... Ie accuchek pump uses aviva strips.

Somebody did post up the cost for me but be jiggered if I can find it now. It was based on me using 300 every 28 days.

If letters are written it has to be on the strips that we use ourselves. To give them a real person study.....

iHs

Aviva strips cost about £15 for 50 (NHS price) so that works out at 30p per test. I could do about 10 tests to equal the £3 per day for the Libre sensor.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Numbers are my thing :) let me know if you want me to calculate the cost of my bits and bobs, just standard finger pricks for me.

Yes please.. But I don't know the costs!!!

I think to give a CCG and or consultants etc we have to do a full comparison to purchase
A) of a cgm and monitor etc
B) this gadget
C) strips a month....if it was by individual strip we could ourselves multiply by how many we all individually get given every 28 days.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I seen it, was it not £92 ?

I think so but need to be sure.. Ideally if all facts were on one posting I could copy and paste! I'm hugely disorganised and need help on this pricing!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If that was £92 my consultant worked out at £80.. But would still need 1 box of strips a month for driving!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If that was £92 my consultant worked out at £80.. But would still need 1 box of strips a month for driving!!!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Here's the prices of test strips which the NHS pays

Meter (all
notnhs_s.png
)Type of monitoringCompatible
test stripsTest strip
net priceSensitivity range (mmol/litre)Manufacturer
Accu-Chek® Active(1)Blood glucoseActive®50-strip pack = £9.950.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® Advantage(1)Blood glucoseAdvantage Plus®50-strip pack = £15.890.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® AvivaBlood glucoseAviva®50-strip pack = £15.590.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® Aviva ExpertBlood glucoseAviva®50-strip pack = £15.590.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® Compact Plus(1)Blood glucoseCompact®3 × 17-strip pack = £16.010.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® MobileBlood glucoseMobile®100 tests = £31.900.3–33.3Roche Diagnostics
Accu-Chek® Aviva Nano Blood glucoseAviva®50-strip pack = £15.590.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
BGStar®(2)Blood glucoseBGStar®50-strip pack = £14.731.1–33.3Sanofi
Breeze 2®Blood glucoseBreeze 2®5 × 10-disc pack = £14.870.6–33.3Bayer Diabetes Care
CareSens N®(2)Blood glucoseCareSens N®50-strip pack = £12.751.1–33.3Spirit Healthcare
Contour®Blood glucoseContour®
Formerly Ascensia® Microfill
50-strip pack = £15.110.6–33.3Bayer Diabetes Care
Contour® XT Blood glucoseContour® Next 50-strip pack = £15.040.6–33.3Bayer Diabetes Care
Element®Blood glucoseElement®50-strip pack = £9.890.55–33.3Neon Diagnostics
FreeStyle®(1)Blood glucoseFreeStyle®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle Freedom®(1)Blood glucoseFreeStyle®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle Freedom Lite®Blood glucoseFreeStyle Lite®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle InsuLinx® Blood glucoseFreeStyle Lite®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle Lite®Blood glucoseFreeStyle Lite®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle Mini®(1)Blood glucoseFreeStyle®50-strip pack = £15.601.1–27.8Abbott
FreeStyle Optium®Blood glucoseFreeStyle Optium®50-strip pack = £15.501.1–27.8Abbott
Blood ketonesFreeStyle Optium® β-ketone10-strip pack = £20.860–8.0Abbott
FreeStyle Optium Neo®Blood glucoseFreeStyle Optium®50-strip pack = £15.501.1–27.8Abbott
Blood ketonesFreeStyle Optium® β-ketone10-strip pack = £20.860–8.0Abbott
GlucoDock® module (for use with iPhone®, iPod touch®, and iPad®)Blood glucoseGlucoDock® 50-strip pack = £14.901.1–33.3Medisana
GlucoLab®Blood glucoseGlucoLab®50-strip pack = £9.890.55–33.3Neon Diagnostics
GlucoMen® Glycó(1)Blood glucoseGlucoMen®50-strip pack = £14.591.1–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoMen® GMBlood glucoseGlucoMen GM®50-strip pack = £9.950.6–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoMen® LXBlood glucoseGlucoMen® LX Sensor50-strip pack = £15.391.1–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoMen® LX PlusBlood glucoseGlucoMen® LX Sensor50-strip pack = £15.391.1–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
Blood ketonesGlucoMen® LX Ketone10-strip pack = £20.570–0.8Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoMen® PC(1)Blood glucoseGlucoMen®50-strip pack = £14.591.1–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoMen® VisioBlood glucoseGlucoMen® Visio Sensor50-strip pack = £15.501.1–33.3Menarini Diagnostics
GlucoRx®(2)Blood glucoseGlucoRx®50-strip pack = £9.451.1–33.3GlucoRx
GlucoRx Nexus®(2)Blood glucoseGlucoRx Nexus®50-strip pack = £9.951.1–33.3GlucoRx
Glucotrend®(1)Blood glucoseActive®50-strip pack = £9.950.6–33.3Roche Diagnostics
iBGStar®Blood glucoseBGStar®50-strip pack = £14.731.1–33.3Sanofi
IME-DC®Blood glucoseIME-DC®50-strip pack = £14.101.1–33.3Arctic Medical
Mendor Discreet® Blood glucoseMendor Discreet® 50-strip pack = £14.751.1–33.3Merck Serono
Microdot®+(2)Blood glucoseMicrodot®+50-strip pack = £9.991.1–29.2Cambridge Sensors
MyGlucoHealth®Blood glucoseMyGlucoHealth®50-strip pack = £15.500.6–33.3Entra Health
Omnitest® 3Blood glucoseOmnitest® 350-strip pack = £9.890.6–33.3B. Braun
One Touch Ultra®(1)Blood glucoseOne Touch Ultra®50-strip pack = £11.991.1–33.3LifeScan
One Touch Ultra 2®(2)Blood glucoseOne Touch Ultra®50-strip pack = £11.991.1–33.3LifeScan
One Touch UltraEasy®(2)Blood glucoseOne Touch Ultra®50-strip pack = £11.991.1–33.3LifeScan
One Touch UltraSmart®(2)Blood glucoseOne Touch Ultra®50-strip pack = £11.991.1–33.3LifeScan
One Touch® VerioPro(2)Blood glucoseOne Touch® Verio50-strip pack = £14.991.1–33.3LifeScan
One Touch® Vita(2)Blood glucoseOne Touch® Vita50-strip pack = £15.071.1–33.3LifeScan
SD CodeFree® Blood glucoseSD CodeFree® 50-strip pack = £6.990.6–33.3SD Biosensor
Sensocard Plus®(1)Blood glucoseSensocard®50-strip pack= £16.301.1–33.3BBI Healthcare
SuperCheck2®(2)Blood glucoseSuperCheck2®50-strip pack = £8.491.1–33.3Apollo Medical
TRUEone®Blood glucoseAll-in-one test strips and meter50-strip pack with meter = £14.991.1–33.3Nipro Diagnostics
TRUEresult®(2)Blood glucoseTRUEresult®50-strip pack = £14.991.1–33.3Nipro Diagnostics
TRUEresult twist®(2)Blood glucoseTRUEresult®50-strip pack = £14.991.1–33.3Nipro Diagnostics
TRUEtrack®Blood glucoseTRUEtrack®50-strip pack = £14.991.1–33.3Nipro Diagnostics
TRUEyou mini®Blood glucoseTRUEyou®50-strip pack = £9.921.1–33.3Nipro Diagnostics
WaveSense JAZZ®(2)Blood glucoseWaveSense JAZZ®50-strip pack = £9.871.1–33.3AgaMatrix

From the BNF site :)

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Blimey!! Fantastic!!! Copied and pasted ready for my letter, just a price of funding a cgm for a year to get and the latest accurate costings for the libre.

Thankyou so much for the time doing that and all the fantastic information, thankyou:))

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Blimey!! Fantastic!!! Copied and pasted ready for my letter, just a price of funding a cgm for a year to get and the latest accurate costings for the libre.

Thankyou so much for the time doing that and all the fantastic information, thankyou:))
You are more than welcome :)
This blog is interesting and has prices for the libre. http://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/
Prices for CGM just email the firms that do them and ask for the stand alone prices and pump combination prices where it applies :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You are more than welcome :)
This blog is interesting and has prices for the libre. http://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/
Prices for CGM just email the firms that do them and ask for the stand alone prices and pump combination prices where it applies :)

Thank you....the prices for the libre though... Is that public buying price or nhs price.. Would they be the same? They aren't for strips!!