New GP has me down as late onset type 2 !

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had my yearly diabetes appointment at my Gp surgery this morning. I have never seen this diabetes nurse, but she was bubbly, happy and friendly. She greeted me warmly and then said " lets have a look, your type 2 since November 24th 1992"
me " no, that's not me, you must have the wrong person on the screen"
Nurse checked my details and it would appear my new Gp who has taken over from my Gp who retired in August 2016, has me down as 'Late onset type 2' !! :wideyed: because according to diabetes nurse, type 1 only happens in children and adolescents !! I told her she was not right because it can happen at any age, not just in children/teenagers ( I was 31) and diagnosed with type 1 in August 1989.
What makes me mad is the fact that a Gp I have never even met, has decided to change my diagnosis after 27 years ( this will be my 28th year) how dare he:mad: I asked what he was like and the nurse said he was an older Gp, very nice and very thorough and knows a lot about diabetes:banghead::arghh: Anyway, she advised me to ask for a telephone call with new Gp, but I will make an appointment to see him face to face. God help me, I think I may be in for a bit of battle :rolleyes:
Results for today are.
Hbac1, 55 ( wish it was lower, but nurse was pleased)
Total cholesterol 4.9
LDL, N/A ( not done)
HDL 1.99
Tc/HDL 2.5
BP, 130/70 ( a little high for me)
Weight 8.12
so overall, with thyroid test, kidney function, pulse in feet, all good and normal, folic acid and B12, good.
Nurse was very happy and said I must be looking after myself and I need to give a urine sample in, which I will do this week.

A

asparagusp

Delighted for you Robinredbreast! Well done!

My endocrinologist, not my diabetologist, had me down as Type 1 until I recently had to correct him!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. Am I surprised - no? Few in the NHS have a clue about Late onset T1 which I also have. I'm listed as just T2 as my expert db GP when challenged said 'you're not T1 therefore you are T2' but at least I finally got insulin after a bit of a fight. One problem is that Diabetes (UK) (the diabetes 'experts'?!) don't really recognise Late onset T1 which is one reason I finally resigned from them last year. NICE does finally recognise it in their Diabetes Guidelines updates last year; you may want to tactfully point this out to the new GP. Good luck with your battle. You may fail but as long as the meds are right. The problem is that it messes up the T1 statistics so T1 is rare - right and 20% of T2s are not overweight - right. So much ignorance amongst the experts....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robinredbreast

Could it be something as simple as a typing error? You were quite late onset at 31, and type 1, so late onset type 1 rather than late onset type 2 is more likely. Besides, there is no such thing as late onset type 2! Older folk are far more prone to it than youngsters.
I would check this before you go storming in. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast

Could it be something as simple as a typing error? You were quite late onset at 31, and type 1, so late onset type 1 rather than late onset type 2 is more likely. Besides, there is no such thing as late onset type 2! Older folk are far more prone to it than youngsters.
I would check this before you go storming in. :)

A typing error of months , type and 3 years doesn't sound good, but I am going to talk to my DSN at the hospital, in case they want to run tests, which I would be fine with. I have never heard of Late onset type 2 either and apparently Gp is well informed about diabetes :rolleyes:

Reactions: Medusa41
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ummmm. god help the new Doctor I think he's in for a bit of a bashing! But as Bluetit says check before firing both barrels. ;)

I will be getting in touch with my hospital DSN.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A typing error of months , type and 3 years doesn't sound good, but I am going to talk to my DSN at the hospital, in case they want to run tests, which I would be fine with. I have never heard of Late onset type 2 either and apparently Gp is well informed about diabetes :rolleyes:

Type 1 diabetes is much less common than type 2 diabetes and typically affects younger individuals. Type 1 diabetes usually begins before age 40, although there have been people diagnosed at an older age. In the United States, the peak age atdiagnosis is around 14.2 Mar 2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast . Oh to be a fly on the wall at the face off between you and your expert GP.
I guess it could be a typo/mistake but that raises more concerns than it solves.
Good luck and you'll always be in our gang no matter what.( T1 ).:):):)

Aawww thanks for that, agree with the possible mistakes and concerns. I will go in with an open mind, but I will fight my corner if necessary :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon your first thought was right....they have muddled you up with someone else. When I changed doctors I was asked about my epilepsy and told when and where I had had fits. It wasn't me, it was another patient but they took a bit of persuading grrrr.

edit: and 'late onset T2' is just plain silly.
edit2: let us know what happens please. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I reckon your first thought was right....they have muddled you up with someone else. When I changed doctors I was asked about my epilepsy and told when and where I had had fits. It wasn't me, it was another patient but they took a bit of persuading grrrr.

New Gp could of muddled me up with another patient, but Late onset Type 2 ? oh dear :rolleyes:

Sometimes medical professionals think we don't know what we actually have got or haven't got, another oh dear :rolleyes:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
With luck it' just a typo (My neighbour who is a GP receptionist recently told me she has no idea what the difference between type 1 and type 2 Is, "I just type the number"...)
Take hospital documentation if you have it.
Oh and can he supply a definition of "late onset type 2"?

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The nurse who failed to get the blood for a fasting glucose to confirm me (so she did a finger prick - 11.1, and I'd eaten practically nothing for 2 days) said that if it was positive, I would be the first case of MODYnshe had seen. I was 34 - MODY is diagnosed in people under 25. I'm just a plain ordinary common or garden T2.