new here

chilli

Hi I had to phone up the diabetes nurse this morning to tell her my results for the last few days and now she wants me to go into see the consulatant tomorrow to see if i need meds. i dont feel i am given very long to get used to what im doing with it.

Thanks for the ideas, i will let you know what happens tomorrow.

ChilliXX

chilli

The dr's ahve put me on metophormine, im not happy but i suppose they know what they are doing.
He did say i was a candidate for insulin but is trying with tabs first. i nearly fell off the chair when he said that. i dont want to inject.
I had a growth scan and the baby is bang on for dates so no big growth at all. baby is all normal in size.:)

Chilli

C

catherinecherub

Hi chilli,
Metformin will help with the insulin resistance so don't be too worried. Do not feel a failure as you are doing your best. It is not uncommon for insulin to be prescribed and if it helps your pregnancy run smoother then that is all that matters. A healthy mum and a healthy baby is what they are aiming for.

Glad the scan results were good and give yourself a pat on the back, you must be doing something right.

Catherine.

chilli

Thanks, you have made me feel a bit better, and hopefully it wont be for ever.

Just one questions about metformin..if your going to get side effects from it, does it happen with the first dose? its just that last night i had my first one after tea time..and in the night i started to feel realy sick..right up until i ate this morning, now i have just had another one. i have read sickness can occur and an upset stomach. i was wondering if the sickness is connected or just a coincidence? and when does it kick in and start working? i tested this morning and the reading was still higher than it should be.

chilliXX

C

catherinecherub

Hi chilli.
I don't take metformin but reading around it seems that it takes a few days to get in the system. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong). The first indication that it is working seems to be windy tummies and trips to the loo :lol:

Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

Are there any mums on here who had gestation diabetes?
I am happy to help on advice re diet as chilli is trying low G.I. but I cannot advise on the pregnancy aspect. If someone could help out on that then I am sure chilli would feel more relaxed.

chilli

just a question on the bgl i was getting, the dr ringed round the ones he wasnt happy with. but some of them i thought was within normal range?
for eg.
1 hour after food 6.3, 6.9, 6.6, 7.1, 7.2 on the front of my diary it says the range after eating is between 4 and 8. so i thought these reading were within normal range, yet he circled them.

chilliXX

C

catherinecherub

Hi chilli,
I really do not understand why you have been advised only to test 1hr. after meals. The readings you have put forward are fine for 1hr. afterwards but why is there no mention of testing 2hrs. and even 4hrs. as most of us do at the beginning.
The 2hr. test would show if it is going down and the 4hr. would also show if it has bounced up again, (the pizza effect). I cannot think it would be different for gestation diabetes but someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You need to ask what he is not happy with as you are within the target range he has given you.
I have to admit that I am bewildered about what he wants from you.
Catherine.

chilli

me too..i thought i wasnt not too bad with what i was doing so was unhappy with being put on meds after less than a week, and if i dont improve after two weeks it will be insulin.
my bgl are always up in the morning as well. so i bet he will just stick me on insulin. he was so rushed as well, didnt have time for me.

i will ask the diabetic nures when i ring tuesday. it can't be all bad, the baby is a normal size.

chilliXX

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi chilli.
Some good answers so far. however GD is not so simple as just controlling the carbs and what most people would presume to be the correct Bg levels......you really should discuss all aspects fully with your DSN/Consultant. They may want your Bg levels to be different to what a 'normal' Diabetic has to use.

Here is a link to this forums Community pages about GD, there are other links there as well which may help.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/gestational-diabetes.html

I really cannot offer you any other advice but to talk this over with your HCP's and follow their advice to the letter.

Ken

chilli

Hi, im totally confued now..unless the meds have started to kick in since wed.

I have been sensible with food and eaten as good as possible and my readings were still on the high side.
today being easter i had turkey sandwich with white bread and few crisps and even a bit of cheese cake and yet my readings were within range.

chilliXX

BeckyBump

I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post. I'm in my second pregnancy with GD, first time diagnosed at 28 weeks and controlled with diet, this time round I've been testing from the start and currently still diet controlled at 19 weeks.

There have been a couple of comments about testing intervals further up the thread... In my experience the focus has always been on 1 hour after meals, with my diabetes antenatal team (and it is a team, usually see at least 8 people at consultations!) only wanting an occasional 2 hour reading from time to time, also have to test first thing. I think I recall being told first time round that this was because for GD they are particularly concerned about spikes in BG as it's hard for the baby to deal with the fluctuations. My targets are 4.0 - 5.6 first thing, 4.0 - 8.0 1 hour after meals and 4.0 - 7.0 after 2 hours. I frequently go lower than 4.0 but have been told that's fine it's the upper bound they worry about.

I have also found my readings can be pretty random from 1 day to the next, I think this is because the level of pregnancy hormones impact the insulin resistance, it generally gets harder to control BG levels as the pregnancy progresses too.

I tend to follow a restricted carb diet, along the lines outlined a few posts down. This pregnancy I've been gradually cutting the carbs down as my BG levels start to go up. It is a pain, particularly when combined with other pregnancy food restrictions (although I generally ignore the majority of those!), but it's only for a short time and last time the post birth pizza and champagne was the best meal I've ever eaten!

Good luck with your pregnancy.

chilli

I have had another appointment with the diabetes consultant and he has upped my does to 1000mg twice a day. so have 2 weeks to see if it works. if not i think insulin will be the next stop. i hope they work for me.